• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Drive skid plate: how important?

B
Dec 3, 2007
Rogers, MN
I just got a new Pro and it has the Quick Drive belt. I've seen some posts about people getting a QD skid plate. How important is this? Have many people destroyed their bottom pulley or broken a belt by hitting things under there? Or is this more of a worry about extremely rare situations?

Thanks,
Rob

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I know people who've hit stumps and logs and hard ice balls with their belly pan under the chaincase/QD.

I'd hate to impale those gears and belt with something.

That being said...what's worse?
--Pushing the plastic belly pan up into the QD...that will retreat when the pressure is taken away.
--pushing a rigid metal into the gears that doesn't retreat when the stick/log/ice is taken away. Metal bends and doesn't flip back into place.

BUT, it takes more force to push that metal skid pan than the thin belly pan. It takes a big impact to cause the skid pad to fail. If something is strong enough to fold that metal, it's going to be a BIGGER problem if you have didn't have anything there at all.

Hard to say...

I went with the VanAmburg skid pan.

Last edited:

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I know people who've hit stumps and logs and hard ice balls with their belly pan under the chaincase/QD.

I'd hate to impale those gears and belt with something.

That being said...what's worse?
--Pushing the plastic belly pan up into the QD...that will retreat when the pressure is taken away.
--pushing a rigid metal into the gears that doesn't retreat when the stick/log/ice is taken away. Metal bends and doesn't flip back into place.

BUT, it takes more force to push that metal skid pan than the thin belly pan. It takes a big impact to cause the skid plate to fail. If something is strong enough to fold that metal, it's going to be a BIGGER problem if you have didn't have anything there at all.

Hard to say...

I went with the skid pan.

That's a good point. I'm reminded of the steel toe/non steel toe boot argument....

Last edited by a moderator:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I'm not a Skinz fan, but IMO the only product they got right is their plastic HDPE QD skid plate. FWIW

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Didn't think it was important till I busted the bottom gear off this year.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
That's why I went with 1/4 UHM plastic formed and fitted to the outside of the original belly pan, riveted to bulkhead, footwell plate-running board and pan.
To finish I added an aluminum "stump deflector" between the exh outlet and belt drive that also ties into bulkhead on the inside.

Pretty geek proof and has come in handy this season more than most.

s1d3w1nd3r1480

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2013
Mid-Michigan
I installed the Vanamburg one on mine. When purchasing my sled the dealer had personal experience with his sled and his buddies sleds having the plastic pushed up by snow in deep conditions causing the belt to rub creating belt heat and plastic melting potentially leading to a few of their belt failures. After receiving my guard and installing it, i found it to be very robust and strongly believe any impact that will cause it to bend into the pulley will leave me with many other damage concerns beyond just the pulley area.

pindallout

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
51st State Da U.P., eh!
That is why I went with the Skinz QD Plate. The Plastic QD Plate strengthens the area under the QD Drive without it being to Rigid. I would rather have plastic under my QD drive versus Metal. But I know that I have tagged a couple stumps or rocks with mine and I am glad I had it on. I think that the cheap stock pan would have pushed up/broke into the QD drive. It is again, like most products, cheap insurance. My .02c.

Audette13

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I run the VEI guard also. My logic is, id rather have it and not need it than not have it and loose a day or more ridding from not having it.

Last edited:
B
Dec 3, 2007
Rogers, MN
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm not a fan of adding stuff unless it has some demonstrated value, so that's why I asked. Looks like some people actually have had issues, so I suppose $70 is relatively cheap insurance.

Thanks,
Rob

C
Dec 24, 2014
Low snow so far this season has meant lots of downed tree/stump "meetings". I can see where my bottom pulley has already been into the plastic and worn a small groove in the belly pan. They are probably not a bad idea but after a couple of seasons in the tree's I don't think they are a necessity. I carry insurance on the sled instead.

JUDGED

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2015
www.judgedgear.com
Buy some carbon fiber and epoxy, put the sled on its side, put some masking tape over the spot, do a 5 layer wet layup, put wax paper on the outside, smooth it all out, let it dry. Pry it off and epoxy glue it on. Carbon fiber QD plate that is stronger and lighter.

Granted you could do this many better ways. These steps are a true backyard way of doing it, but still stronger and cooler. We had a mold and everything all setup to sell these, but it just did not make sense.

IUndumH.jpg

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I actually hit something with the underbelly, which made quite a hole in the plastic area under QD belt, the piece of plastic was dragging against the belt and the belt looks ragged now :) I should probably replace it but I am riding like this for 2 months already and it works perfectly. I could upload pictures later, you guys will be shocked to see the carnage. I will be soon installing a turbo kit and I will definitely replace the belt then, I will also order vanamburg skid plate

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I also have the Vanamburg plate, it installs fast and works great. I ride the trees which also means stumps and rocks. Mine has some pretty good scrapes in the aluminum so I would rather the plate take the beating than my QD and belt.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I was surprised at how many scuffs and dings were in my metal qd plate. Didn't think I hit anything, got the scars to prove otherwise.

Premium Features