• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adding an extra heat exchanger to a Pro RMK

M
Dec 6, 2007
I looked into all of these (welding and cutting) required coolers and I didn't like a few things about them.

-First thing is they cut into the factory cooler which is part of the rear structure for the tunnel. Once the factory cooler is cut is the tunnel structurally compromised?

-Second thing is they are plumbed in series with the stock coolers. What is the flow rate of this cooler compared to the factory one? Does it restrict flow as comprared to the factory one?

-Third thing, the extra weight of the cooler is added to rear of the sled as compared to my cooler which is centeralized better IMHO.

-Forth is ease of installation. Anyone with mechanical ability can install my cooler (no welding required) or down time from taking it into the shop and hoping the guy who is welding on the factory cooler is competent at TIG welding aluminum, not to mention the cost of this labor.

-Fifth it is plumbed into the factory location in parallel with the existing cooler. This is the way the engineers designed it from the factory and it operates in parallel with the stock cooler.

I'm not saying that these other coolers don't work, I'm sure they do but I just didn't like the things as stated above. I'm pretty anal with regards to things and deal with heat exchangers, intercoolers ect on a daily basis with my profession and these are the things that I personally didn't like about the welded rear coolers.

Not to bash your kit-But heres my thoughts.

*Cooler in the rear more efficent.
*Cooler doesnt make tunnel weaker it stiffens it up-ALOT.
*I dont want anymore hoses under the hood.
*And i think mounting time will be about the same-Welding alu. is
a biggie for some -Piece of cake for the Professionals.

Ed

Thanks for your input. I don't want to get into a pissing match so I won't. We have issues with our sleds cooling systems and we come up with solutions, this is what I have done.

Shaun

827revdog

Jun 18, 2008
michigan
nice post poaching randy. i think moosesp's kit has a place in the market. looks like its a quality piece. i like its easily plumbed and can be removed at any point for warranty or transferred to another sled. thumbs up.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
nice post poaching randy. i think moosesp's kit has a place in the market. looks like its a quality piece. i like its easily plumbed and can be removed at any point for warranty or transferred to another sled. thumbs up.

Ooops. Sorry. I was looking for a link or site advertiser on here before I posted this because this is what I didn't want to do is poach. Just trying to help for people that seemed to be looking for coolers.

By all means his looks like a nice unit.

Again Sorry, I've deleted my post on this thread and started a new thread.

Last edited:

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Does this kit cool right from the start or does it use the existing engine thermostat to allow the sled to get up to operating temp?

Thanks

M
Dec 6, 2007
Does this kit cool right from the start or does it use the existing engine thermostat to allow the sled to get up to operating temp?

Thanks

There is no modification to the existing thermostat and it functions as it was designed to from the factory. It still will regulate the temperature properly.

M
Dec 6, 2007
I am still working on a time frame for getting more of these exchangers built. I should have an answer by next week for all those who were interested. Sorry for the wait!

LanceJ

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2009
I would like more information on your exchanger when avaliable and shipping to Canada.
LanceJ

M
Dec 6, 2007
Hello everyone,

Well I did some extensive testing this past weekend and this cooler has worked very well. In side by side testing with another pro rmk without the cooler in less then ideal conditions I was running between 15 to 20 degrees F cooler in temp then my friend. Due to being a logistical nightmare I will not be offering this as a kit. If someone were interested in the cooler alone and wants to source the fittings and hoses on there own here is the information.

Please contact Levi at HM Turbos 1-406-273-6111 for the cooler. The original one was from them but had to be modified with the installation of the welded 3/8 inch bungs. The original exchanger was from their Pro RMK turbo kit for their intercooler and had 3/4 inch piping in the place of where my welded bungs are. He might even be interested in modifying his cooler with the bugs, but you will have to ask him about it. Please tell him Shaun sent you his way.

The fittings are 3/8 inch MPT by 5/8 inch brass hose barb. Two of which are 90 degree and one is straight. I used 5/8 inch barb with 1/2 inch silicone heater hose because of the tighter fit is allows. You will need approx 5-feet of 1/2 inch silicone heater hose. I like silicon for the durability factor and the bendability factor. Of course I used 5/8 inch hose clamps specifically for silicon hose.

These are all of the hard parts required. The factory 3/8 inch plug in the head must be removed and the factory plastic fitting on the antifreeze expansion tank must be drilled out to allow it to be plumbed in. Make sure all of the hoses are protected from heat and spinning parts (Jack Shaft).

This modification will work and like I said was tested last weekend. The temperatures were more consistent and this was with identical machines in identical conditions running side by side.

Hope this is helpful to anyone who is having heat issues.

Thanks Shaun

M
Dec 6, 2007
So it's been a couple of years, how has your cooler worked out long term?

The cooler has worked great with no issues what so ever. I was consistently lower in temps then the rest of the Pro's I ride with on those spring days when issues usually show up!

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Thanks for the update.

I contacted HM late this spring, they had nothing in stock but are supposed to call me when they make more.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If HM Turbos isn't able to supply parts, call Mike at Fabcraft just down the road.

Mike does a lot of U-coolers.
406-777-1200

Premium Features