• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat Patent

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
This could really make things interesting. Narrow the stance and your getting more like a snowbike. Maybe a single ski that is track width to pack down the powder before it hits the track? Been outside in the 100+ temps too long today

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Think this would cause the sled to trench more with all your weight pushing down in the center of the track? Just a tought, looks interesting.......

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Looking at that skid make me think of a chainsaw in the snow....

yeah no kidding ...back to the firecat days
I get it... on a timbersled mountain horse bike...less weight ...by half.
wait and see I guess, should be lighter than a traditional skid, less parts

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Looking at that skid make me think of a chainsaw in the snow....

In theory, wouldn't it have the same footprint with slightly less weight? I guess the weight just wouldn't be as evenly distributed across the width of the track. My guess is that it would sink in the snow a little more but not much, nothing like a 13.5" wide Firecat track. Interesting to see if this comes to fruition and how it performs...

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
if we assume track width still being 15" I don't see a lot wrong with the idea. A lot of pressure on the shafts and mounting spots on the tunnel with the high leverage from the skinny skid I would assume? Torque points further inside the tunnel. As long as the flex want there would we expect the xm wobble feel? Maybe this is the sign that cat is going to cut a bunch of weight from the sled as well? Weight needs to come from the front of the sled and rework the motor imo. Time to push the envelope cat!!

Give it to rob and Dave and let them push it and tell us their thoughts.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Crazy. So I just finished a rear suspension proto-type that bolts into the Arctic Cat chassis. The testing phase happened later in the year when snow conditions were minimal. I am wondering what you guys think about pitching an idea to Arctic Cat that would BLOW this newly designed system to pieces. However, being a first time inventor, I have never gone through the Patent process. Would a design engineer Patent his product prior to pitching it? I would assume so?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Hoping this is for a ground up snowbike... after spending some time on a bike last year, it's hard to want to get on a sled at all anymore. Really hoping that the big boys get into making some a full package rather than the hodge podge we have now.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Crazy. So I just finished a rear suspension proto-type that bolts into the Arctic Cat chassis. The testing phase happened later in the year when snow conditions were minimal. I am wondering what you guys think about pitching an idea to Arctic Cat that would BLOW this newly designed system to pieces. However, being a first time inventor, I have never gone through the Patent process. Would a design engineer Patent his product prior to pitching it? I would assume so?

Absolutely!!!!!

Hoping this is for a ground up snowbike... after spending some time on a bike last year, it's hard to want to get on a sled at all anymore. Really hoping that the big boys get into making some a full package rather than the hodge podge we have now.

Cat is gonna have to come up with something fairly soon if they want to compete with Polaris since they purchased Timbersled

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam

YES or watch them design a reverse engineered stole your stuff twist off with ya "NEW" suspension.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Yeah I don't want that haha. It's interesting how mfg's like kmod, ez ride, etc. chose to market their own product versus working with a company like Cat or one of the other four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
Yeah I don't want that haha. It's interesting how mfg's like kmod, ez ride, etc. chose to market their own product versus working with a company like Cat or one of the other four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure about k mod.
but ez was already a full fab shop with many contracts ez ryde is/was a tinny part of the biz .

as far as the comment about oem making bikes from ground up.I think they are going to have to . places like MN are ****ing the world of snow bikers .
new laws say only a machine built from a manufacture with certificate of origin built for snow are allowed on state trails or land. no kits allowed.
it is BS I know why they did it but they could have excluded toys biased on how wide they were not some BS blanket

Premium Features