• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BoonDocker Sidekick: Intercooler Yes or No?

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
I ordered the Sidekick base kit a few weeks ago. I did not order the optional intercooler but now I'm considering it.

Would like to hear from the guys who ran this kit this past season on whether or not they had the intercooler. And if you did not, did you experience any issues with high temps?

Any recommendations on this option would be much appreciated.

*Installing kit on 17' Axys with 3" track.

Thanks

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
I was told when I ordered my kit that if your doing long pulls then it's beneficial which I don't do too often so I did a little researched being completely new to turbo and read that compressed and makes heat running a cooler will keep temps lower and make reeds last longer

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
With the 6psi I kit I personally don't think your gonna feel any benefit from the IC. At 6psi I don't think your making much heat. Above 10 psi then yes

Do you know what kind of turbo your getting with the standard Sidekick kit?

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
With the 6psi I kit I personally don't think your gonna feel any benefit from the IC. At 6psi I don't think your making much heat. Above 10 psi then yes

Do you know what kind of turbo your getting with the standard Sidekick kit?

I believe its the Garrett GT2860.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Lower charge tube temps is always better and technically makes more power. However, at low boost levels, hence running less clutching, you aren't making as much heat. I think you could live without an IC if you are ONLY running a base Sidekick kit. And it comes with a gt2860

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Compressor Temps

I was curious about this as well...I ran some numbers, nothing scientific, just using some thermodynamic formulas, compressor efficiency of 70%, fairly conservative...unless it's a GT2860, then it's probably 100%:face-icon-small-coo

2016-08-15_2317.png

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
The colder the air the better, I think it's kinda silly to run without one, it's not like it's a big weight penalty

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
Brandon,

What boost level will you be running this at.. altitude and fuel quality.

The Sidekick has a cold air intake...

Which kit did you order?

attachment.php

I ordered Sidekick (not x)....its factory tuned at 6psi.

8-10k feet and 91 oct.

I'm just wondering if this "optional" intercooler is necessary. I don't think it is at 6psi but wanted to hear what the Snowest brain trust thinks.

This is from their website:
To maximize performance, add a Lightweight Water to Air Intercooler for an additional +$749.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
At 6 lbs... I'd say..... no.... More complex... more weight, more cutting on the sled.

Something else to break that If you don't need it ... why bother.

If the kit does not come with it... simply add intake vents to the console to increase readily available cold air to the engine...

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Like others have said you don't need it. I have about 600 miles on my sled with the sidekick last season and it was awesome. I talked with Boondocker before I ordered it and they said at that psi no need for the intercooler. These sleds rip with the sidekick you are going to be very happy!

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
The colder the air the better, I think it's kinda silly to run without one, it's not like it's a big weight penalty

agreed but the a2a IC on these sleds is more like a heat sink. They dont get a large amount of airflow. after a few minutes of riding it will reach a steady state condition and it wont cool the air.

now and air to water with a heat exchanger in the tunnel is a different story ...

Premium Features