• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Melted secondary rollers??

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
I took my 09 M8 turbo up today, and got to where we were gonna go off into riding terrain... Belt blew going 5 mph. Looked at it, realized my both of my clutches were burning hot. I also noticed that my rollers were melted. I just did an over haul on this sled, I didn't take the secondary apart, just off and back on. It's a Twisted Turbo helix. I have a lot of venting; punched clutch cover, vented side panels, a lot of hood venting... I've never seen, nor heard of a secondary getting that hot.. I'm looking for answers. I can't figure out why it got so hot. Before I did the overhaul, it didn't heat up, in fact, my belt life was phenomenal. Any help?

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
Took a closer look. Saw that the screws into the helix had sheared, which caused all sorts of issues and obviously heat as it was a lot of metal on metal... I'll have to get an entire new secondary. It's toast.

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
Get the bdx sheeves with the wider bushing

You're talking the 10.4 upgrade right? I have been looking at that. Everything but my spring is toast. My helix has gouges in it along with everything else on the clutch. So I'm thinking the BDX 10.4 and possibly a BMP Turbo helix/weight setup? What are your opinions as far as turbo clutching? I'm running max 10 pounds on 100ll on a 153, probably upgrading to the 2.6 this summer.

R
Nov 26, 2014
North Idaho
I would also recommend the BDX 10.4 Secondary. I've been running one with the shift assist bearing behind the clutch spring and a set of rock rollers with a 36/42 progressive helix and it performs flawless. I've heard the arctic cat hi-temp rollers are also a good choice. Jeff at Black Diamond Extreme may have some ideas on your helix, he can machine any angle you want.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Rollers wore out and went flat due to skidding. Replace rollers with rock rollers. Replace helix. Check bushings. Go ride and save money. Those plastic rollers are junk. Nothing else likely wrong. Spend the extra coin on bigger track.

Premium Features