• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil Rope stretched apart- showing Nylon cords

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Rope did not break, but is pulled apart, Is there a way to replace just the rope, without unspringing the whole recoil assembly, or do I have to bite the bullet , and replace the whole recoil assembly ($200) Thank You Greatly.

Had a Great weekend, Fuel pump got something in it and wouldn't run, 9v battery I had on me was too weak and couldn't reverse the pump, the zipper broke on my Deluxe A/C Tunnel bag, and rope pulled apart after yanking on it 100 times. and of course this happened about 25 miles from the trailhead. it was too steep to pull out with sled, or by Hand, after 400 yards with 4 guys we said screw it, Sled spent the nite.

Last edited:
F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Recoil

You will have to take off the recoil but you do not have to " unspring" it. Just pull the cord assembly and spring off the center hub and put in a new cord. There is a trick to it and you may become suicidal if you have not done it before. After you do it a few times it is not hard. If you do not have a dealer close, and do not want to do it, take it to someone who works on small engines like lawn mowers or chainsaws. They could put a new cord in for you. Same principle of operation. Do not buy a new recoil. I have a spare that I bought off ebay for $40. Also buy a good replacement cord. The smaller lawn mower stuff is too small. I bought my stuff off ebay but I think someone here sells it too. I think you need 5/16 as the smaller 1/4" cord will not last long.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Tie a knot in the rope so it doesn't get pulled into the recoil assembly. Remove the handle. Pull the recoil assembly off of the motor. Pull the rope all of the way out. Clamp the recoil assembly with a C-clamp so it doesn't unwind on you. Replace rope with Phantom cord. I got mine from 4Z on here.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
removing recoil

is there any good advice how to remove recoil, i have big hands it looks really tight to get the bolts off, schematic says there are 5. just nutt up and get her done or is there some insider info??

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
Basic. Haven't had one off in awhile it's either 8 or 10 mm bolts .theres a few bolt holes on the case just index it when you take it off so the rope lines up . And if there's a ground strap be sure to get it back on as well .need 5.5-6ft of rope ,last one I got from cat was 6 ft

D
Jan 23, 2014
this is easy stuff...take recoil handle off, pull through shroud. unbolt recoil assembly from motor...gotta take silencer off to get at it.

to replace rope, first tie a knot in end of new rope. melt end to make sure it doesn't fray and come undone. pull rope all the way out on recoil, hold recoil from winding back up. remove old rope, put new rope it. let go of recoil so it winds up.

bolt recoil back on and tie pull handle to new rope.

should take about 30 min start to finish.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
You'll have no problem with it! Like others have said it's a painless job. Once you get the can off and out of your way, the recoil is easily accessible. Nobody mentioned these guys yet so I figured I would, Cobra Cord is supposed to be one of the best cords available. They have a lifetime guarantee to never break. I picked one up for my M this year! And they're available in different colors which is a cool feature.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
f11b07e73ac4b5eb770c59e2c77c1519.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Update: it took me 2.5 Hours to change recoil

I forgot to mention my sled is Turboed, had to take the Turbo out to get to the recoil, I bought a Cheap Rope on Ebay from a Snowmobile dealer. Like a Dumbazz. and it only lasted 4 pulls until it snapped. I was so Pizzed i was Steaming. Now I have to do it all over again. the above stuff looks like the way to go .

So now that it has Snapped , what do u have to do to make it work again, or is it unsprung and ruined??

Last edited:
S
Mar 15, 2014
Iowa
shouldn't be a problem. Just winding it up might be a little tricky.

If there's a notch in the reel, wind the rope up and hang the end out the notch. Put the reel on so the spring catches. Wind it so you tighten the spring a few turns (you'll have to take a guess at this - 3-5 would be my guess), then feed end through the system.

Winding the spring will be the trick. You don't need a ton of spring on it at rest. You need just enough it doesn't hang when the handle comes back home. Too much and you'll over tighten the spring when you pull it. Too little and the handle will flop around or not return all the way home sometimes.

If you find it has too much or too little tension at rest, get the rope back into the notch without loosing what you have, and adjust accordingly by winding up or unwinding the spring - re-run rope and try again. When done, make sure those knots are good and won't pull through. You'll pay if not.

Edit - I forgot to warn you of something. Make SURE you take the reel out with care. The catches are probably attached to the back side of it (the parts that cause the reel to catch when you pull it). Make sure they are there and correct before you put it back together. I've not seen the reel on these sleds, so I don't know the setup. I've run across a few where the catches fall right out of when taken apart. Others stay put when disassembled. Don't loose them.

Last edited:
Premium Features