• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

estes,grand lake

A

APEXMT

Nov 27, 2007
can any one give me any info on these riding areas. good,bad, easy access,extreme etc. anything would be helpful

S
Nov 27, 2007
Longmont,CO
ridin

there's really no riding around Estes.....Grand lake has lots of mapped trails, some fun hillclimb areas back by gravel mountain and usually you can ride into town , lots of lodging.

B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007
good area

Grand Lake is a mixed bag of goodies. Family friendly riding, plenty of meadow riding, groomed trails etc... Then just off the heavily traveled trail are plenty of climbs, cornices, and good boondocking. The only down side is it is a heavily used system. Weekends, there are renters everywhere!

Here are some pics from last weekend there.

Attachments

• ridemnytro.jpg
    ridemnytro.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_3666.jpg
    100_3666.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 146
  • nytroJ1.jpg
    nytroJ1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 137
B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007
snowed.

most areas "had" 4-5' last weekend and supposedly picked up another 18 last tues. There was nothing on the ground previously so this is all shaking out to be a decent base. riding off trail was dicey but lower areas like pony park had good pow... Up top was hazardous, we didn't leave trail.. open creeks, huge stumps and wind blown down to rock.

D
Dec 17, 2007
Granby, Colorado
grand lake is awesome if you want to ride trails all day and climb gravel mountain with 300 other people on rental sleds!

but if you dont...

grand lake is lame.

and while gl gets snow sometimes, if you dont go up at about five in the morning it will all be ridden off by the time you start your sled.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
grand lake is awesome if you want to ride trails all day and climb gravel mountain with 300 other people on rental sleds!

but if you dont...

grand lake is lame.

and while gl gets snow sometimes, if you dont go up at about five in the morning it will all be ridden off by the time you start your sled.

yep. GL struck me as the sledders version of resort riding, if you like being around the renters, gapers, wanker trail riders, and traffic, it's perfect.

On the other hand, just like at any ski resort, if you get to know the place there are some real jems, you just have to spend the time to learn the area.
I have friend that live there & buddies like Bdubs that spend a lot of time up there & they seem to get their share of good days. (I still can't stand the trails though)

D
Dec 2, 2007
Grand Lake, CO
Snow in GL is not real good for this time of year. The trails are being groomed but the weekends of course are a mess with renters and private riders. During the week the place is deserted. But with that said GL has awesome boondocking and technical single track riding with some good climbs. But you really need to know the area. We are getting some snow tonight but it is not suppost to be much. Big Gravel slid in the past week so be careful. Heard someone got cuaght in it but was dug out by buddies.

I live in Grand Lake and it's snowing pretty good right now and it has been snowing on and off since yesterday.

For those that say Grand Lake is too crowded, they haven't put much effort into learning the area. Yes, on weekends there are plenty of crazy renters and hill climbing wanna-be's in the standard areas (ie: Gravel Mtn), I personally find it entertaining to watch the 'show' from the bottom of Gravel on a Saturday afternoon. But if you scout the area a little further you can ALWAYS find a nice spot or two with untouched powder and no other sleds to be seen. :D

D
Dec 17, 2007
Granby, Colorado
I live in Grand Lake and it's snowing pretty good right now and it has been snowing on and off since yesterday.

For those that say Grand Lake is too crowded, they haven't put much effort into learning the area. Yes, on weekends there are plenty of crazy renters and hill climbing wanna-be's in the standard areas (ie: Gravel Mtn), I personally find it entertaining to watch the 'show' from the bottom of Gravel on a Saturday afternoon. But if you scout the area a little further you can ALWAYS find a nice spot or two with untouched powder and no other sleds to be seen. :D
very true, there definitely are a few spots in gl with a few powder stashes... but, i dont know why you would try that hard to learn the area when there are so many other GREAT areas around here you could learn instead...

haha sooo if anyone wants to ride anywhere around grand county this season let me know cause my dad is out for the season and i dont have a standard riding buddy anymore :/

A

APEXMT

Nov 27, 2007
Thanks Again Guys Probally Wont Be Heading That Way Then. We Were To Buana Vista Last March And Found It To Be Real Good Although A Little Short On Snow. Just Thaough Grand Or Est3es Would Be Closer

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Try Rabbit Ears instead,less than 1 hour from Grand Lake.Lots more snow,endless tree,meadow riding and hill climbing.Can get busy on weekends but get a few miles from the lot and it's a different story.There are groomed trails also and rental sleds available if you're looking for that.

E

escape2powder

Mar 26, 2004
Montana
What riding elevation is Grand Lake, Rabbit Ears, and what kind of temp out at end of Jan. I'm coming down to ride with my bro, and need to jet my sled. Thanks in advance.

W
Dec 4, 2003
Northglenn,CO
Rode Grand Lake yesterday, plenty of POW to find if you get off the beaten path. Actually the trials to the good riding areas were in good shape considering it was Sunday.
Found plenty of over the hood areas to play in.

B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007
cold

Freaking cold out on Saturday. -10 on top... Hit the backside and didn't see another sled alllll day!:beer;:beer;:)

Attachments

• bomb2.jpg
    bomb2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 75
  • climb1.jpg
    climb1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 66
Premium Features