• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how many hours are the new double row bearings good for?

U
Sep 12, 2010
How long are the double row bearings lasting? Who has worn them out? I will probably update both my kits, but I'd like to know when to swap bearings rather than walk out after one fails.

The original bearings would fail by 80 hours, so I would replace them at 40.

Thanks for the info!

kevinhoglund

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stanwood, Wa
They ran the cheapest bearings in the double housing all winter. That is what I was told by brett @ Timbersled is last Feb when I rode the 2015 Prototypes.:face-icon-small-coo

Apr 22, 2009
double row bearing

There were failures the boys at Priest Lake running the prototype 2015 at end of season were seeing them

V
Sep 22, 2008
Wow there so many different scenarios for bearing failure ,track tension to tight ,chains to tight,bent side panels causing poor alignment,pressure washing and forcing water into bearing , over greasing and blowing seal, squaring the drivers up with a rock going wide open ,the flexing and side load just kills bearings in general , the double bearing will help ,still think there should be more surface area on the sub frame where side panels bolt up ,2'' inch area washer welded to the sub frame ,it would be clean and doesnt affect cosmetics ,would add to the structural integrity ,and have little to no effect on weight and balance .

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The 2015 Mountain Slayer, all the details are not out yet. The little that can be let out of the can at this time is that it is a four stroke, ? cylinders, that's all I,m allowed to devulge at this time. The Dyno numbers are absolutely astounding. The turboed thumpers will be destroyed.
Intriguing; )

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
It will be interesting to see how long they last with the all new MS at 200 plus HP at the crank. They will fail just how and when?

But how much does it weigh? I've ridden snow hawks since 03 and now a Timbersled. The low weight is the biggest key to great performance. Just wondering. Looking forward to seeing your build.

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
They ran the cheapest bearings in the double housing all winter. That is what I was told by brett @ Timbersled is last Feb when I rode the 2015 Prototypes.:face-icon-small-coo

In order to accelerate bearing wear and potential failure, we did go with the least expensive bearings available in our prototype units only. We saw over 2000 miles on some kits last season, and had the double bearings on 15+ units; including our demo bikes that were flogged by most demo riders. Our goal is to have the new double bearings last multiple seasons for the hardest riders, and the life of the kit for normal humans. That's a goal, not a warranty.

We also upgraded the bearings again this year for production, and eliminated the drilled bearing housing in the double setup. With the new stiffer chassis, side panels and 4 bolt rigid housings; we have the best Timbersled kit to date.

One interesting efficiency note- on our 5 test bikes, (all 501 Bergs) we noted that the ST and LT top speeds are now virtually identical. This speaks volumes about the designed efficiency changes for 2015.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Brett, are you saying the new bearings are no longer the cheapys with the little hole drilled in them for grease ? So are the bearings opened (sealess) on one side ? This allows us to grease any bearing we want ?

If so that is smart thinking and good for the consumer. Well done ! If not booh LOL

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
Brett, are you saying the new bearings are no longer the cheapys with the little hole drilled in them for grease ? So are the bearings opened (sealess) on one side ? This allows us to grease any bearing we want ?

If so that is smart thinking and good for the consumer. Well done ! If not booh LOL

Yep! We've done away with the drilled bearings in the new double bearing set up. No more hole in the bearing race!

They are open on one side so you can squeeeeeeeze grease in to your hearts content. Personally, I don't think the new setup needs greased more than 1x per 6 or 7 rides, if that much. My opinion is also if you check axle bolt tightness regularly, these bearings should last thousands of miles.

I'd bet you a milkshake the vast majority of our 2015 kits will be 5+ years on snow before they need bearings. I'm excited to see how long they really last.
BB

Last edited:
B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
I'd really love to know how many hours they got.

I prefer not to return to the truck on the wrong end of a tow rope.

Over 2000 miles on one of them. Early designs revealed a potential issue with a bearing spacing washer that was crushing and creating play between the bearings. After that was discovered and changed, bearings stayed smooth like butter.

We want this to be a long term solution even more than you do. The great thing about the team here at Timbersled is they aren't satisfied with anything less than their best work, best designs, and the best solutions. Everyone here is that way.
It's definitely a cool company to be a part of.

2015 Mountain Slayer net weight

2015 Mountain Slayer the wet weight (fluids in) will be less than 20 pounds more than a Honda crf 450 with the same track kit. With I might add a lower centre of gravity, larger tank, 200hp at crank, over 90 ft. lb. of torque. The bearing design upgrade is an absolute necessity for this build!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
mh2015-14.jpg
mh2015-16.jpg

attachment.php

Update kit.jpg

Last edited:
H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
2015 Mountain Slayer the wet weight (fluids in) will be less than 20 pounds more than a Honda crf 450 with the same track kit. With I might add a lower centre of gravity, larger tank, 200hp at crank, over 90 ft. lb. of torque. The bearing design upgrade is an absolute necessity for this build!
I would like to see what makes 200hp and 90 ft.lb at the crank please. The suspense is killin me!

Premium Features