• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

About ready to take a match to my M1000 Running out of ideas

shuttlevalve

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2009
Take the pcv off and see if it runs right my m-1000 would not run at idle or just off with the pcv

I gave that a try it made no difference. Pretty sure the PCV is not causing the problem. The low fuel pressure according to the BDX gauge is my only abnormality at this point.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Water in the tank?

Crank seals?

I had one that ran weird, I tracked it down to a bad pin in the wiring harness, new harness hundreds, new pin .10.

Water in the ECU plug?

These are hard problems to find, I just figure what it's not and work back from there.

Last edited:

shuttlevalve

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2009
Does the fuel pressure fluctuate or drop, gauges can be wrong, do you have a fuel pressure revelatory you can adjust. Like a bmp one that is on the pump

It use to run at 42psi when I put it on, now its a solid 37-38 psi. I will pressure test it against a certified gauge at work just to see if its going bad

shuttlevalve

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2009
Water in the tank?

Crank seals?

I had one that ran weird, I tracked it down to a bad pin in the wiring harness, new harness hundreds, new pin .10.

Water in the ECU plug?

These are hard problems to find, I just figure what it's not and work back from there.

Ive run several tanks of fuel through it. I can recheck the plugs, I just rebuilt the engine last fall with new crank seals, not that it guarantees anything. I would need to get some block off plates to pressure test the case. Might not be a bad idea, but a lot of work getting the throttle bodies out of the way talk about a tight fit.

Mesarider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2012
I had a similar problem with a 2002 Mtn Cat EFI. Tried everything. One day, I replaced the spark plugs for fun. Started up crisp and ran crisp after that. Who woulda thought.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Oil pump sticking open when you get on the throttle the first time? Saw this sort of thing happen on an old 580 EXT. Oil pump would stick then it would load up with oil whenever you let off until it got running back on the top again. That had a cable that operated the pump though. Not sure if it could stick open with the solid linkage type on the Ms.

shuttlevalve

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2009
the humble pie

Well after swapping out the fuel pump I didn't notice a huge difference in fuel pressure reading about 41ish now. It turns out to be a tuning issue I believe that acid test will be this weekend. I never really used the auto tune below 6000rpms and never did much with it running with the computer connected, but I had it idling with tonight to leak check it and had the computer plugged In to check what cell the TPS was highlighted in. Surprise the O2 was showing 17 to 1 at idle. I wasn't sure how accurate that was, but the idle was pretty erratic so what the heck I punched In a 20% increase in fuel up from 4% the O2 went to 15 to 1. So then I put in another 5% and it was pretty stable at 14.5 and the idle was pretty stable at 1600rpms. What threw me off was earlier in the year it was coughing black smoke and running poor I just thought it was to rich. I added fuel through the bottom matching some of my old maps before the RK tek porting and the throttle response was much quicker no hesitation. We will see what happens this weekend.

shuttlevalve

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2009
After adding alot of fuel to the bottom of the fuel map 4500 and lower its actually pretty good .im sure I over shot it in some areas since its blowing some black smoke but it at least will get up and go. Also I added 15% more fuel in the 2000 to 4000 rpm range at higher throttle positions so ot wouldn't fall on its face if you punch it from low rpms or idle. Should have sucked up and did this 3 months ago just did want to do the testing.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I would up the idle rpm's a couple hundred, picks up quicker and is easier on the clutch because it gets rid of some of those strong vibes they put out a low rpm.

Premium Features