• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP Synthetic oil in PV equipped Cats?

T
Dec 16, 2008
YXY Yukon
Anyone know if you could run this stuff? It sure is much less smelly/smoky than the Cat synthetic PV oil. The ETECs have PVs, and an engine as fussy as the ETEC, well their oil must be good enough for a Zuk mill.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
most of us don't run the XPS in the XM's... it's a pretty nasty oil. Burns the eyes, smells horrid, no thanks. Of the guys I know on XM's, I don't know any running doo oil. (I run yamalube 2r... works for me)

T
Dec 16, 2008
YXY Yukon
most of us don't run the XPS in the XM's... it's a pretty nasty oil. Burns the eyes, smells horrid, no thanks. Of the guys I know on XM's, I don't know any running doo oil. (I run yamalube 2r... works for me)
I hadn't had any experience with the synthetic, only the regular oil, and it seems to burn pretty clean in my Tundra. I run the Cat synthetic oil in my M8 and it's hard to believe anything else could be as foul.
Anyone have any recommendations for an alternative to the Cat oil?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I have been running castrol actevo sno 2t for many years. Ordered by the case, quart size, came to about $30/4qt delivered to my door.

Z
Dec 30, 2014
Sorry to dredge this thread up but I came across it researching oil for my sled. One question I have now is what is a "PV equipped cat"? I have a 2009 M8, bought it in January and went to buy oil for the first time last week and the local dealer want $70 a gallon for the stuff. No way in hell I'm dropping that on oil. What are others running in these sleds?

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Shell Advance Ultra

I run Shell Advance Ultra Synthetic in all of my 2 stroke sleds - never an issue, costs about half of the APV oil. To the fellow with the 09 M8 - your sled has power valves, pretty much anything built since the mid 90's does

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I've been running Ipone Oil for the last 3 years with good results. Fairly inexpensive(42$ a gal) and powervalves come out clean every year and exhaust smoke fairly low. And it smells fantastic! Again oil is oil and the best thing to run is really what you can get easily and for a good price. I rode a buds sled who was running that Ski-doo stuff and holly crap is that stuff nasty. Couldn't get the taste of it out of my mouth for a day.:face-icon-small-fro

Premium Features