• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo weights?

lord7

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2009
Spring Creek, NV
Im running a 2007 700 turboed Dragon motor in an IQR chassis, and am looking to change the clutching a little. Any suggestions, recomendations, or preferances on what are the best turbo weights to run are?

I appreciate any feeback!

lord7

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2009
Spring Creek, NV
weights

Right now I run 10-62's in the primary with a 140-320 spring and a 48straight with a black purple spring in the secondary on a 2007 polaris 700 dragon with an aerocharger in an IQR Chassis and it just doesn't have the low end pull that I want. I am looking to test out some turbo weights and see if I can get that low end power that I want. I appreciate all of the feedback! I ran the 10-62modified weights and I didn't really like the high engagement.. Thanks for all of the info and information about the weights everyone has been running.

Lord7

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
What elevation are you at?

I like the helix. Springs, I would have to check my numbers.

IMO ... your a little heavy on the weights. A little heavy on the weights can kill your bottom end. What are you running for rpms?

Turbo clutching is a balancing act. Just a little food for thought... one of the fastest 700 turbo's only had 56 gram weights in it. He could run out of the hole dead even with a 1200.

What are you running for fuel???

lord7

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2009
Spring Creek, NV
fuel and elevation.

Around 8k im running 10-62's but where I usually ride is around 10k feet and I run 10-60's at that elevation. I've been running 50/50 av gas and premium fuel. Max rpm I try to keep around 8200-8300. Clutch engagement is around 4500rpm.

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I would try going a little lighter. I think you have some rpm to gain on the top end. Mine always liked 8400-8450. She was REAL happy there. You would be surprised how much a few grams makes to the bottom end. Plus on mine once we took weight away, the bottom picked up and it wanted more fuel.

Basic questions..

Your turbo is good?
Fueling is good?
Fuel pressure is where it should be?
Clutch springs are good?

Just some thoughts.

lord7

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2009
Spring Creek, NV
weights

Okay thanks for the info! Yeah I've heard nightmares about the attitude industries fuel box (dobeck) when it gets hot it causes the sled to bog and pop on the bottom end. I've tried getting it sent in, but little to no help, so I'm thinking about going a different route other than attitude. Been debating the power commander with fuel and boost. Yes the turbo is almost brand new and I have been running 9lbs of boost. Springs are new also. Any info on going with a 120/340 primary spring?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Okay thanks for the info! Yeah I've heard nightmares about the attitude industries fuel box (dobeck) when it gets hot it causes the sled to bog and pop on the bottom end. I've tried getting it sent in, but little to no help, so I'm thinking about going a different route other than attitude. Been debating the power commander with fuel and boost. Yes the turbo is almost brand new and I have been running 9lbs of boost. Springs are new also. Any info on going with a 120/340 primary spring?

Did you call Dobeck directly?

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Springs are new also. Any info on going with a 120/340 primary spring?[/QUOTE]

This spring will make your bottom end worse. You want around a 310 finish with a higher engagement. Try a team orange , pink, or or blue in the primary

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Springs are new also. Any info on going with a 120/340 primary spring?

This spring will make your bottom end worse. You want around a 310 finish with a higher engagement. Try a team orange , pink, or or blue in the primary

I run a 145/280. The set ups all have to work together.

I can't run the springs jskattum listed. I have tried, it doesn't work for me. Different strokes, different folks.

lord7

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2009
Spring Creek, NV
Thanks!

Thank you TRS for bringing that to my attention. Ive been screwing around trying to get attitude to do something about getting my fuel box fixed. Called Dobeck and they were extremely helpful and my fuel box is already on its way to them..

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
listen to outlaw! He has more experience with the sled your working on.
I like the sound of the low finish on his spring. Lower finish = less clutch weight which =snappier off the bottom response

Also something no one has talked about is gas. The more octane you run the more throttle response you lose. Low boost setups have the capability of being more snappy with the low octane and low clutch weigh

lord7

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2009
Spring Creek, NV
weights.

Outlaw, what weights did/are you running with your spring set up? Also what fuel box do were you running and how well did you like it?

Thanks for all of the help guys! Really appreciate it.

Lord7

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
In the words of Jase Robertson .... "don't make me out to more than I am!!" I just have some buddies that are amazing, and I have tried to pay attention real closely. I am about as mechanically inclined as a Dukes of Hazard lunch box.

The set up is what I would call old school. It originally was started by Bill Lofton. Little snowmobile history lesson, if you don't know who he is. He was the first person to do a drop and roll.

Twister and I messed with it for 3-4 years, tweaking this and that. We have always wanted sleds that feel like big bores. Its a super linear pull. IMO it flat works.

I don't have your exact sled, I have your sled but with a carb motor. I run 56 or 58's depending on the snow conditions. 56's give me the bottom end I want, but the 58's have the, you better have your big boy pants on pull.

Originally Bill called for 60's. It would pull RPM's. but it just seemed lazy. One weekend we did some extended testing. We tried everything from 68's to 54's. From 56 to 60 the RPMs were real close. It would just pull differently. Once we dropped to 56's, the sled asked for more fuel and really lit on the bottom.

IndyDan has now taken the set up, and tweaked it. I think he has really done what we didn't have time for, perfect it.

Controller, I don't have one, well I do, its called power jets. I am not a big fan of the dobek controller. We have thrown a ton of them away.

Jskattum... its not that I know anymore than you. Its just those springs wouldn't work for me. Maybe partially personal preference. That orange spring engages so high, it drove me nuts.

As you stated fuel is a huge creator soggy bottom end.

Hopefully this helps and I am not just rambling. I am a little tired tonight.

lord7

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2009
Spring Creek, NV
weights

Thanks for all the help! I plan on getting a spring with the higher engagement and lower top end and some lighter weights as soon as the snow hits. It makes a lot of sense what your telling me know. I hope to have it running a lot better this year!

Premium Features