• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

phazer motor swap

P
Oct 1, 2014
Anyone ever swapped a bigger motor into a phazer? A phazer was my first sled when I was a kid and I'm looking to build one now for a mountain sled/ ice fishing ride for my old man when the snow gets too deep for his wheeler. But I think it's a little under powered for both of us but I'm set on a phazer I already have my m8 as my primary mountain sled. I was thinking of a larger Yamaha fan cooled motor or a pro x / snopro 440 or a newer Polaris or skidoo 550 fan

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
The 485 was a runner if set up right with that light *** chassis, there isn't much that can take them, I've out ran the 550 polaris and Doo fanners with my 99 phazer. Why not look at getting an exciter and ditch the piston port motor for a Vmax 600 reed motor, and I believe they will drop right in with very little work. Now that would be a runner.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Phazer

The was a guy on here that swapped a Doo 670 into a Phazer. It really ran but was very hard on the chassis.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I think the easiest swap would be a Yamaha 540 fanner. Not a lot bigger but might add more torque when you need it. Otherwise the liquid cooled engines are adding weight and complexity and I'm not sure reliability would be where you would want it.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
The 540 needs brackets made and there is for the phazer. We have put one in but for the amount of work and modifying parts wasn't worth it for the little bit of HP you get for it.
The Vmax my sister's husband has god knows how many kms and runs it in all types of weather right to the end of spring with no issues. I built up both of his sleds last season and now the 600 gives his 670 motor I built up and I thought it hauled *** when I spanked his 03 summit with it.
The yamaha banners were never super famous for being super reliable also, they where know to take out cranks if you ran them hard all the time.
V max 500/600 or SX 600 triple, super light triple pretty fast. I got one I bought off the original owner thing has 15,000kms and still has all compression, motor has never been apart till I ripped it down to re ring and seal it as its going to be driven a bit harder this season.

Premium Features