• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MM only runs on 2 cylinders please help?

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Check the coil output... Had my 01 MM do the same thing. Had spark but wasn't HOT enough to actually create combustion.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
does anyone know the coil output for 01 MM??

or at least what you look for to test if it's good or not.thank u. Jeff

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I dont think your going to find a spec for this. use an adjustable spark tester if you have one. If you don't use a screwdriver in the plug boot and slowly move it away from ground and see how much spark you have. The spark should be able to jump a 1/4" to 3/8" gap. I would check all 3 coils and compare the output. Eric

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
srxs rule

I don't know if I feel comfortable doing any screwdriver spark jump measurements, been shocked too many times over the years i'm a little gun shy, but checking the output compared to the other coils is a good idea, do I want to use volts? AC or DC? thanks for the input.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I don't know if I feel comfortable doing any screwdriver spark jump measurements, been shocked too many times over the years i'm a little gun shy, but checking the output compared to the other coils is a good idea, do I want to use volts? AC or DC? thanks for the input.

Coughs WIMPY Coughs.....

These work good just compare density of spark. How can ya go wrong with a 5 dollar chinese tool?

http://www.harborfreight.com/inline-ignition-spark-checker-69014.html

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002

Its really not a big deal. Use a medium sized Phillips screw driver, put the tip into the plug boot, hold the side of the screwdriver down by a head bolt and then while its running slowly move it away from the bolt and watch your spark.

Or go buy an adjustable spark tester.

AC/DC? , you cant use a volt meter to check spark output. Spark output is measured in KV (kili-volts). Eric

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
he took it to a small engine repair place

STUCK CHOKE

Thank U . Everybody for all your help

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
I know I said coil output BUT have you checked the choke?.... It could be the choke!! I know its a long shot but it could be the choke! It's most likely the stater but if it's not check the choke.... Thought your bro mite have been smarter but I guess not...................
check the choke

Premium Features