• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo 155 without a skid???

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
Is it possible to have a good handling sled with out a coupling skid on a 155 turbo running 8-11 lbs of boost?
Ran 163 with a Timbersled last year and wasn't overly impressed with the flickablity.
Ordered a 155 this year with clicker shocks. Should I plan on getting a skid?

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
my buddy ran one this year boondocker intercooled kit with stock skid and his handled fine, on the really steeps it would stand up on its tail pretty good though. so I wouldn't hesitate

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
We run a few turbos and they all have stock skids. I do have and really like my Zbroz shocks to make it behave in all conditions.

H

Hollywood99

Jan 11, 2010
Saskatchewan
I run a 155 turbo pro at 12lbs with a timbersled skid and hate the flickability of it, it keeps the front end down nice when climbing, but for tree riding and just general boondocking it has to much down force on the skis, I am going back to my stock skid with exit shocks all the way around, ive ran it like this for the last two years with the timbersled skid and feel like I wasted my money for my style of riding. it is an awesome skid if u run lots of boost and want to climb, I will give it that for sure.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
hmm. interesting take...

I rock a TS skid even on NA sleds and set them up to be playful, just dial the knob in if you wanna go rip some chutes. or let it out to be playful.

Stock skids are fine, the stock Poo track really doesnt provide an insane amount of traction under big power, it likes to spin and lay over mostly. if you had a camo x or an x3 i would say definately need a skid, but stock will be good, just will tend to wheelie a lot when you slow down and whack the gas in tighter stuff.

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like the stock skid works ok with mild boost and med chutes. I don't ride areas with huge chutes more short steep runs thought the trees. I wonder how the snow check clicker shocks will perform? Was leaning toward the kmod but if I can get by without spending the extra cash that would be great. You almost have the same money into zbros shock as a skid. Would be nice if the skids would uncouple all the way for a more playful sled.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
Get the turbo this year, see how you like it. The stock skid works decent. Its not like the sleds gonna be unrideable. I've run turbos and stock skids for the last 5 seasons now. The latest sled is my pro which I've had for 3 seasons. I have Holtz revalves and resevours and it works well. I don't have any plans to go aftermarket any time soon. I've looked at this sled as a project, do a few upgrades each year that have the biggest impact. The aftermarket skid is still a couple seasons out on that list. I've climbed some pretty decent sized chutes/ hills with my setup and it performed.

You won't find too many people who don't try to justify the $2500 they just spent on Aftermarket suspension. I will probably do the same if that time comes.

My whole point is you can build it in steps and still have fun. You don't have to buy the turbo and aftermarket skids all at once. That's a lot of money.

Limbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Currently running a 154 freeride with an aerocharger at 8lbs, stock skid. Yes the front is light, if you don't want the skis on the snow they never will be. It is quite controllable though, just have to modulate the throttle a bit. The sled is absolutely a blast to ride, everyone who spent any time on it ended up with a big ol' #%*£ eating grin on their face!

Ephratafarmer

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ephrata, Wa
Many miles on stock skid w stock track w turbo....works very respectable. .... when ya add the x3 track you need skid help....the k mod works great and still is playful

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
anytime you go over 7 psi of boost on a 155 skid you will have wheelie issues

sure it is fun, but hard to truly control, I was ping ponging off trees alot before i got the Kmod Conversion. the 4 position quick adjusting coupler is awesome, now I'm rockin a full Kmod skid with Raptors and it is Simply awesome. I can zip down a bumpy trail twice as fast as a stock skid with the Raptors.

Premium Features