• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another NyPro Project

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Very cool intake box! I think that location will work good for you too as long as you put some really fine screen on it. Was it hard to peel the metal mesh off after using it for a mold?

Thanks !
I have "real" prefilter material that i will use.
My first plan was to leave the mesh as reinforcement and lay fiberglas over the backside too but i changed my mind and it was fairly easy to remove, if i had planned to remove it at first i would just have covered the inside of the metal mesh with duct tape or something similar for even easier removal.

Nice Work!

Some better fabbing then some production kits I have seen

Thanks man !
Only the imagination stops you from what you can build with fiberglass but its not fun to work with, the fumes and the itching kind of sucks..

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
This is the first time I've checked in here since early June, I think.
GREAT looking project. Thanks for sharing.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
This is the first time I've checked in here since early June, I think.
GREAT looking project. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks man !

Well i have made some progress since June, its a long list of mods since i tried it last season so it probably will feel lika a new machine:)

Turbo, Clutching, New Tunnel, CE Track, Narrower A-arms, New Gas tank, New Steering bar, Hand warmers that works and lots of other small stuff

Dropped some weight and added some, it will be interesting to se the net result.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Made some brackets for the seat.

Installed the air intake, gastank and seat.

Started her up and topped up the oil.

Last edited:
S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Time to make the rear suspension ready for final install.

I cant have a red front arm.
Gasket Remover was really nice to remove powder coating with.

Some sanding.

i will make some reinforcements on this arm Before powder coating.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
I finally got my front shocks, so i put in on the scale and got 636 lbs with coolant, oil and fuel filled up.
I have some easy weight to remove but now its time to ride some and see how it works.
We finally had some snow (about 8 inches) and i was able to make a small testdrive outside the garage.
No Place for longer full throttle pulls but i can feel the boost bulding up (its my first time on a boosted sled)

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
During my last ride i had some over boost but i found the problem.
The hose to the Wastegate was rubbing against the "airbox" cracked and came lose.

way to tight.

I had plenty of material in that spot so i grinded it down and attached the hose again.
Made a short test run to the gas station and filmed the ASA Pro front shocks in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iloZrairHR8&feature=youtu.be

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Sorry for the lack of updates but the weather took a turn in the wrong direction we pretty much had melting temperatures and rain since three weeks back...

the trails are ice and off trail its rock hard snow.

Drove a couple of miles but it sucked and i drove back home.

we have one trip planned late march but other than that i dont think there will be much more riding this season.

I have been talking to Erik at McXpress and i think im going to up the boost a bit as a summer project.

With a thin headshim and increased fuelpressure 210-220 hp is possible. Extra injectors and IC would need major rebuild so i dont think i will go that route.

If im able to get a IC installed there is an option to rebuild the stock injectors for more flow at a reasonable price, that would be a interesting option.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Still no riding and it sucks, next week we are going on a trip so i got some inspiration to make some progress.
Scratchers installed.

Started on some covers to seal the gap in front of the gastank and the brake caliper that i had to make a hole in the side cover for.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
The weekend trip was really good with nice weather but the snow was hard as rock, i was really happy that i installed the ice scratchers Before the trip.
rode about 400 km in total and the best part was that i got the chance to try some other sleds and see how my sled compared to them.
When i started my build i had not owned a sled since 1998 and never ridden a rider forward sled, so i put it together the way i belived would be a good sled.
The first day i lost a nut from the left upper ball joint but saw it in time Before i destroyed the spindle, thank God Polaris has metric bolts nowadays, i could borrow a nut from a friends ice scratcher and i was good to go.
In the fleet of sleds we had a Viper XTX with MCX 190 kit on it so i tried it and my sled had a bit more power so that felt really good, my cheap home made turbo kit is working better than expected.
But the handling of the Viper surprised me the most!! it felt bulky and did not sidehill with the same ease as my sled (i know the XTX has wider ski stance)
after that sled i tried a M8000 and it was better than the Viper but i still prefer my own sled.
Finally i tried an Assault and felt more home on it, easier than my sled to handle even with the wider ski stance, But when riding the Assault i found out what has been bothering me on my sled. I have the handle bar way too far forward. that will be my next mod.
the day after i got to try a Nytro MTX and it had nothing in common with my sled other than the feel of the Engine until my boost kicks in.
some pics.

When piercing the hard surface there was lots of snow.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
I finally found a gas tank and seat from a newer Lynx Boondocker (2014), it has a really nice seat and a Place for the battery in the back of the gas tank, this was the seat and tank a wanted from the start but i could not find one until now.

I also got hold of a drive shaft with brake and brake disk for a future Project.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Time to install the new gas tank and seat.
Looks way better.

I have to make a holder for the battery.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
I want a higher engagement RPM so i got a harder primary spring (from 30 to 50 kg preload).

And some parts for the steering mod.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Found a beat up 155" Polaris track, it goes to the collection of parts for the next Project.

Premium Features