• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New member of the Mountain Max Club

C
May 6, 2013
Boulder, CO
I'm absolutely thrilled with my christmas gift... it's a completely unmodified 2002 Mountain Max 700 Triple 141 track with 1300 miles on it. I am in love! :heart: Of course my mod list is looooong: risers, chop off those sway bars, powder skis, SLP pipes/clutching... that's just off the top of my head. I can't wait to custom this sled up and make it mine! And so the wrenching and advice gathering begins :)

2013-12-23 07.23.27.jpg 2013-12-23 07.23.09.jpg 2013-12-23 07.23.40.jpg

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
nice sled

I cant believe it only has 1300 miles on it, am I reading that right? That sled has a lot of life left in it and you should have a lot of fun riding and modding it out.

B
Jan 26, 2013
welcome to the club. That sled is mint, wish mine had half the miles it does but even with 5300 it's just broken in. Is this your first yamaha? you may want to go join over on totallyamaha for the wealth of knowledge to be had. I was very experienced with yamaha outboards and bought my MM as a result of my experience with their quality.

Here is my build thread from over the summer, but it covers about 2 years worth of work with lots of details and pictures.
151" Mountain Max Build

If your going for a bowl climber you can get into chaincase drop and roll and custom tunnels but most of that stuff has dried up, you can find it used that's about it. For a boondocker tree sled a 151" with a 2" challenger is about tops for setup. My sled will ride wrong foot forward all day long with the new bars and now with the longer wheelbase and higher front end from the viper arms it will lay on its side with no effort at all on flat ground. I'm looking forward to see how much easier it is to ride in the trees this winter.

Don't buy into the hype that trailing arm sleds can't do what a modern A-arm sled will. This is a great platform to learn the modern riding style. I compared the measurements from the snowest 2013 800 sled review with my sled and critical measurements like ski bolt to foot placement, board width and length and overall sled width width were within a few inches of a pro-rmk and a pro climb. The MM has a narrower body shell and 4 in narrower track width than an rmk does, and once you pull the sway bar it will love to get on its side. Crazy Mountain Extreme was building RMK Edge based trailing arm sleds until 2010 if that tells you anything.

Yard 1.jpg Yard 2.jpg

Last edited:
C
May 6, 2013
Boulder, CO
Mountain Max happiness

Thanks so much for the good words and resources!!! I have people in my life that adore these machines so i do have some really great resources to help me on the right path. I'm sure i'll be visiting this forum as well as TY for nitty gritty details when i get into my projects :) i will get to risers, sway bar, and skis this season but waiting on the other mods until summer. i have someone who has promised me a free, brand new transfer enhancement kit so i will get the skid off this summer, along with putting on new pipes and working on the clutching.

and yes, lots of folks rave about the a-arm machines and how my old machine isn't as rideable.... i am not saying i won't ever own a newer machines but i prefer the MM because of the height of the seat and how i can control the tipping... the new machines have waaaaay too high of seats where i can't even jump around on the thing (i'm 5'4) AND they are too easy to tip, i don't feel like i have control of them... and my machine is absolutely more reliable (no blown top ends every 1500 miles) as well as easier for me to wrench on... so nope, i don't buy the hype.

BTW... love the pics and your write up from the 151 conversion! She's a beaut!

welcome to the club. That sled is mint, wish mine had half the miles it does but even with 5300 it's just broken in. Is this your first yamaha? you may want to go join over on totallyamaha for the wealth of knowledge to be had. I was very experienced with yamaha outboards and bought my MM as a result of my experience with their quality.

Here is my build thread from over the summer, but it covers about 2 years worth of work with lots of details and pictures.
151" Mountain Max Build

If your going for a bowl climber you can get into chaincase drop and roll and custom tunnels but most of that stuff has dried up, you can find it used that's about it. For a boondocker tree sled a 151" with a 2" challenger is about tops for setup. My sled will ride wrong foot forward all day long with the new bars and now with the longer wheelbase and higher front end from the viper arms it will lay on its side with no effort at all on flat ground. I'm looking forward to see how much easier it is to ride in the trees this winter.

Don't buy into the hype that trailing arm sleds can't do what a modern A-arm sled will. This is a great platform to learn the modern riding style. I compared the measurements from the snowest 2013 800 sled review with my sled and critical measurements like ski bolt to foot placement, board width and length and overall sled width width were within a few inches of a pro-rmk and a pro climb. The MM has a narrower body shell and 4 in narrower track width than an rmk does, and once you pull the sway bar it will love to get on its side. Crazy Mountain Extreme was building RMK Edge based trailing arm sleds until 2010 if that tells you anything.

B
Jan 26, 2013
I found with the stock track the key to getting it to work to its full potential is all about setup. I started last winter with my limiters all the way out, sway bar in still and my bars way too tall. First ride the thing was a trenching animal. Worked on the setup, ended up at 30mm on my limit straps with 1 click more than stock on my front skid shock. Added the transfer straps, way more fun and rides so much better, but will ratchet if the track is looser than spec. Finally grew a pair where I was ready to pull the sway bar. About 20 minutes messing with the end links and a sawzall and it's gone. Get some rubber plugs and the hardware store and drive them into the sway bar holes and away you go. Same thing, wondering why I didn't do it sooner. Got my bars adjusted where they needed to be and ended up with a really fun tree sled. This year it's only been around the yard but I can't wait to get it in some real snow.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I put about 3000 miles on my mountain max until I got my nytro. It's a great sled. I've got three of them now. Have fun. Pipes and a track and these things are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Premium Features