• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heeeelp

H
Feb 5, 2014
I have a 1989 Yamaha phazer . It starts great idles great takes off great but when you get going it bogs down then if you turn the choke up a little it reves back up and then it starts all over again any thoughts.:face-icon-small-sho

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Your pilot jets have blockage in them. While you are in there, on a Phazer, I would replace the plugs that go up in the bottom of the carb.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
What have you done if anything as far as carb cleaning? Hopefully it is just something simple like partially plugged main jets. Worst case scenario is that those Mikuni butterfly carbs have a few passages in them that can get plugged with deposits from gas that has evaporated in them during storage. If you look in the area of where the butterfly valve contacts the top of the carb bore you will see some very small holes. I think there is 3 of them. These holes are supposed to allow fuel to flow from them during the period just after idle to about 1/4 throttle or so. If they are plugged then you get a bog because there just isn't enough fuel being supplied to the engine. Unfortunately if the holes are really plugged with varnish you have to remove the welch plug on top of the carb to get access to the area. That is the small round plug that is in a recessed area. Last time I did that I had quite a time to find a suitable sized welch plug to go back in there. Good luck!

Premium Features