• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which turbo kit?

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Just snowchecked a pro 163 and cant decide which turbo kit to go with. I was leaning towards the silber kit but now I thinking about a kit with an intercooler. Opinions wanted.

Yes, get one with an intercooler. If not you are leaving power to be had in those deep powder days, long pulls. If you want the best IMO boondockers. Get the gtx 2860 external waste gate, tial housing, stainless tunnel dump exhaust, and water to air intercooler! You can start out lower boost, then when you want to have it really rip turn it up and hold on. Yes it's expensive, but it is the best.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Yes, get one with an intercooler. If not you are leaving power to be had in those deep powder days, long pulls. If you want the best IMO boondockers. Get the gtx 2860 external waste gate, tial housing, stainless tunnel dump exhaust, and water to air intercooler! You can start out lower boost, then when you want to have it really rip turn it up and hold on. Yes it's expensive, but it is the best.

Same setup I did this year, first turbo and love it!

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Whats your budget like. IMO the Silber and the BD will both run good for you. Silber will have a vband external waste gate setup next season if thats what you are looking for but the standard Silber kit does good and comes in 2K below the loaded BD. I have a couple left I can make you an even better deal on as an end of year thing. PM me for detail if your interested.

R
Mar 21, 2014
Niagara Falls, NY
. Silber will have a vband external waste gate next season if thats what you are looking for but the standard Silber kit does good and comes in 2K below the loaded BD

What are the benefits and additional cost of the vband external waste gate?

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Spend some time with search function..... Use the assumption if you can't find much about a kit it probably works. People tend to post issues.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
This is only my opinion I would buy either a MTNTK or Turbo Performance!! The MTNTK will have an intercooler next year. I rode Byrces kit last Thursday and it has lots of power, I don't think they come with intercooler, but his kit did not fade on long pulls. I had him install a vipec on my MTNTK and after having a great season with my MTNTK I feel that with the Vipec it really woke my sled up and I feel that it was well worth the money to add to any turbo kit!!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Kinda interesting. You sure don't see anyone posting problems with the TP Pro's or saying much about them at all. When I get out of the stone age, it's one of my two options. The other is the Speedwerx SC. That seems like a leap of faith though.

Word behind the scenes, is the TP sleds flat rip.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
This is only my opinion I would buy either a MTNTK or Turbo Performance!! The MTNTK will have an intercooler next year. I rode Byrces kit last Thursday and it has lots of power, I don't think they come with intercooler, but his kit did not fade on long pulls. I had him install a vipec on my MTNTK and after having a great season with my MTNTK I feel that with the Vipec it really woke my sled up and I feel that it was well worth the money to add to any turbo kit!!
Earlier in the season you were going off on how great it ran with the Bully Dog.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
It did run good all season with bully dog that's why I waited until the end of the season to install Vipec!!! I think progression in this sport is a good thing and with end user capabilities with vipec we are all winners.

zblink

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Mi
Since this is essentially the same topic I'll just throw this in here

I need some help myself looking at turbo kits and pretty much have it narrowed down to a Boondocker, Turbo Performance, or a Silber. Now it doesn’t matter what fuel controller comes with the package because a Vipec will be installed.

Turbo Performance
• Customization Available
• Seems more complete
• Great Support
• Cost
Dislikes:
• Intake (have yet to see how the intake is set up..)
• Stock Exhaust Location

Boondocker
• Stock intake location
• Tunnel Dump Exhaust
• External Wastegate (not a deal breaker)
Dislikes:
• Have heard a couple stories where unless you are known rider support can be hit or miss
• Cost

Silber
• Cold Air Intake (Stock Location)
• One Piece intake
• Cost
• Quite the fan base
Dislikes:
• Stock exhaust exit
• KPa Turbo (not a quality concern but have no access to turbine and compressor maps)

One thing that interests me is running the bullydog as just a gauge cluster and as expandability of data logging.
Last time I talked with the people at VIPEC it sounded like the new I series had a lot of nice options for logging compared to the V series boards and with just 4 MB onboard data I would need expandability to another box via CAN or RS232 if there is the option. (not dragging a laptop around)

Can you take the logged data as raw and manipulate it yourself or are you stuck using the bullydog software like a racetechnology data logger?

Also can you change the record time of the bully dog to longer than 3 minutes and just have it log a new file upon cycling the machine on and off (3 minutes is almost worthless)

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I can't say enough about the Carl's Cycle Boondockers set-up. I didn't touch my sled once last year, simply fired her up and rode it! Great power, very easy to use, and very reliable. I will be on my third Boondockers kit next year.

Premium Features