• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 M8 to 2009 M8 electronic reverse (Summer Project)

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
ohh , off the top of my head ,, gauge , gauge harness , main harness , ecu

thats about 1000 bucks right there ,, and the list is not compleate ,, how bad do you want it?

I guess I don't see how the gauge, gauge harness, or the main harness effects the reverse funtion? You would be running an independent wire to work your reverse so the main harness, gauge etc. would be isolated.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
when i looked into doing this myself this is what i came up with , if you have a solution your willing to share i would be interested also ..

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
The part number for the 07 ecu now supersedes to the 08 part number. You can no longer purchase a 2007 ECU. According to my dealer, they can flash the the 2008 ECU to put in the 2009 fuel map. That map should contain the electronic reverse mode. After the flash there should be a pin on the ecu that when connected to 12VDC will allow the engine to run in reverse. That ECU pin needs to be connected to the reverse switch on the handle bars.

Again, I haven't personally done this to an M8 but I have ran an 08 ECU on an 07 and I know the 08 ECU will hold the 09+ fuel map. I've discussed this with a dealer and a cat rep and they agree it should work.

I'm just saying don't give up trying because someone on snowest said that someone else said that they read somewhere that it couldn't be done. :face-icon-small-con

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
i did more than just read about it , i even bought a kit from jeff at dakota performance and i bought an 08 ecu at the same time.. they just dont jive ,,

the harness for 07 and 08 is different , main and gauge. i have had both.. and if you can backtrack through the loom to figure out what is what it just doesnt work if you are an elecrtical engineer you could pull something out of your a** to make it work ,, but i dont think the guy asking about it is ,, nor am i .. theres more to it but i cant remeber and i dont care to right now since i am not going to do it.

i hope some one can figure it out ,, and yes everything is possible but how much are you willing to work for it .

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
Well im not a electrical engineer but I do like a challenge. I'm not giving up on this just waiting till this summer, i'll dig into it deeper. I have 0 time right now with work 7 on 1 off 14 hour days, doesn't leave any riding or wrenching time. Thanks for all the input & keep it coming.

B
Mar 17, 2016
So my diamond drive just went out and I was told my sled is an 07 m1000 and it still has a DD that appears to have the mechanical shift sticking out of the case but when I put the sled in reverse the engine changes direction and the clutches spin backwards. Should I assume its set up for electronic reverse since the engine changes direction in reverse?

Premium Features