• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 M8 clutch issues.....

M
Jan 9, 2011
Hey guys,
I have done some work on both clutches on my sled. I replaced the primary after wrecking a couple rollers and replaced the helix on the secondary. After putting it all back together it engages very hard and rough making a crack and at way to high of an rpm. I didnt have much experience at the time i did it :face-icon-small-dis and im getting ready to pull it back out and get it fixed up as its my back up sled. Just wondering if there is an easy place to start if i just missed a washer or shim somewhere or if its a bigger issue.

Thanks

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
I have heard that these clutches sometimes have this issue. It may just be worn or a little sloppy from age or the lack of maintenance. There is a new clutch bolt made by thunder products that has an adjustable sleeve that can basically compress your primary slightly so the sheaths don't get such a running start at the belt. Check this link. I think this is the product but not necessarily the part for your sled.

https://thunderproducts.com/shop/arctic-cat-primary-abc-kit-additional-bearing-contact/

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
It just sounds like you deflection is way off. It would be very rare for a new primary set up with the right weights and springs would have any issues. The secondary probably should have been rebuilt because the bushings in the clutch wear out too quickly. What was the problem with the helix? Back to the defection issue, the belt will sit with the top cogs over the top of the clutch, if the belt is sitting down in the sheaves too far you will get a very harsh engagement.

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Hey guys,
I have done some work on both clutches on my sled. I replaced the primary after wrecking a couple rollers and replaced the helix on the secondary. After putting it all back together it engages very hard and rough making a crack and at way to high of an rpm. I didnt have much experience at the time i did it :face-icon-small-dis and im getting ready to pull it back out and get it fixed up as its my back up sled. Just wondering if there is an easy place to start if i just missed a washer or shim somewhere or if its a bigger issue.

Thanks
Spider needs to be shimmed to achieve proper belt clearance.

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
My 2011 is like this. Engages hard. And the other day my spider cracked. I haven't changed or messed with anything since I bought a full season ago. Weights and rollers and spring are all in good shape, someone above mentioned a shim for the spider was needed?

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
My 2011 is like this. Engages hard. And the other day my spider cracked. I haven't changed or messed with anything since I bought a full season ago. Weights and rollers and spring are all in good shape, someone above mentioned a shim for the spider was needed?

Get a thunder ABC kit

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
These clutchs are total junk and I would not waste the money or my time working on one of them again, I hope.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
Agree completely but I have one I will sell if you are looking. One ride on it before my P85 conversion was delivered.

Premium Features