• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Guys with MTNTK Turbos

S

sno-addict

Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone messed around more with the MTNTK setup? Different clutching or custom tuning, the race gas kit or anything else to add to this awesome setup? For this season I am going to experiment with some different clutching combos, I am also making a custom exhaust more or less just for fun (hoping I can incorporate a muff pot on it). I also might try the RG kit and the water to air intercooler this year.

Last edited:

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
I switched to "race gas tune" (av-gas) this year and changed clutching accordingly will be running 10-12#'s without the intercooler, just need to get out and dial in primary weight...unfortunately an acl surgery back in may and a possible re-scope in a few weeks might keep me out of riding or till late season.
I'll update if and when I can

Feb 6, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Curious about this as well, I feel the "Stock" Mtntk setup, stock secondary with a almond red spring in the primary and 68 gram weights is holding the sled back.

I changed my clutching to a 48/42/.33 helix, a 150/340 primary and a 140/260 secondary, and the new tune from Shawn. I did all this in one swoop and only got to ride 3 miles before the PTO crank bearing failed.

My opinion with the 3 miles I rode it, was with no boost change I was suddenly hitting 10 pounds, originally set to 7ish, felt very very snappy on the bottom end and the backshift was excellent.

Once I get it back I will obviously get to run it through its paces and if the secondary is too hot I will switch to a 160/ 260 spring and possibly 2 more grams in the primary if the RMP is to high.

I ride from the 8000-10000 foot range.
Anyone else have recommendations please chime in.

S

sno-addict

Oct 21, 2008
Curious about this as well, I feel the "Stock" Mtntk setup, stock secondary with a almond red spring in the primary and 68 gram weights is holding the sled back.

I changed my clutching to a 48/42/.33 helix, a 150/340 primary and a 140/260 secondary, and the new tune from Shawn. I did all this in one swoop and only got to ride 3 miles before the PTO crank bearing failed.

My opinion with the 3 miles I rode it, was with no boost change I was suddenly hitting 10 pounds, originally set to 7ish, felt very very snappy on the bottom end and the backshift was excellent.

Once I get it back I will obviously get to run it through its paces and if the secondary is too hot I will switch to a 160/ 260 spring and possibly 2 more grams in the primary if the RMP is to high.

I ride from the 8000-10000 foot range.
Anyone else have recommendations please chime in.
On your ride did you still have the 68g's in? Also what is the "new tune"... For the secondary I am starting out with a Straight 48 helix and a 160-240 spring. Then going from there on the primary.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I had the 70 gram weights in. The "new" tune is one shawn emailed me it ends in something like 317, according to him it is generations different than the tune that was uploaded when i bought the sled in january of 2015. I think this tune came out around OCT or earlier, a friend has the new tune and it does run better than the old tune for sure. Send him and email and he will email to you, super easy to upload and flash the ecu.

Feb 6, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
And the helix, i was told by other performance companies that they run a straight helix as well, the reason i went with the 48/42/.33 is simply because it was recommended to me by a person that did a lot of clutch testing on his personal mtntk.

Let me know what you think of the straight cut and how your temps are, i was told straight cuts will keep the heat down a little better.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Curious to hear more about the tune and whether or not it's for higher boost (10+) or their "baseline" boost @ 7lbs

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Curious to hear more about the tune and whether or not it's for higher boost (10+) or their "baseline" boost @ 7lbs

The file ending in 317 is the newest tune and is good for 8-14#s pump to race for the pro ride chassis

Feb 6, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Im running just pg settings so like rick5150 said it for the pg and lower race gas boost.

On the trail going in which is about 6500-ish I was over revving and on the small 150 foot pull that I did just prior to the motor burning down, half throttle or so maybe a little more a saw I was around 8050 rpm.

S

sno-addict

Oct 21, 2008
The straight 48 woke the sled up a lot in my eyes, It feels like it pulls harder and way better backshift I left the factory black spring in and it felt like it might be a little hot so Im going to put the 160-240 spring in and go from there. I didn't get a chance to install the "317" tune but will for the next ride.

S

sno-addict

Oct 21, 2008
I have been ridding a few times since I have installed the new tune and added the heavier spring in the secondary, This sled is AMAZING! Im extremely impressed with it. The only problem I have is every now and then in on/off throttle situations it will fall completely on is face once I let off and get back on then I let of the throttle and hammer back down and its back to normal. Is it the new tune? Is it clutching? Any advice would be great.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Not sure, wish I could help ya out. Sent an email off to mtntk to get the new calibration files.... Still waiting to hear back...

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have been ridding a few times since I have installed the new tune and added the heavier spring in the secondary, This sled is AMAZING! Im extremely impressed with it. The only problem I have is every now and then in on/off throttle situations it will fall completely on is face once I let off and get back on then I let of the throttle and hammer back down and its back to normal. Is it the new tune? Is it clutching? Any advice would be great.

They said they are working on this stumble. Should be ready any day

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007

Check for boost leaks and change out your exhaust donut gaskets and exhaust springs

diggity

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2010
Has anyone had problems keeping that that pto rod bearing oiled after pulling the line from that side?

diggity

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2010
Correct jmcx. my pto rod bearing went. maybe just a bad bearing but Indy dan said 99% sure it was an oiling issue. Motor out and long rod kit in and back up and running. Indy Specialties is top notch! Great service, had him balance my primary too. Fingers crossed leave for out west in a week. Anyone try MDS turbo weights yet?

Premium Features