• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To boost or not to boost

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Turbo it!

If you turbo your sled you won't regret it. I love the new axys but let's be honest it has a max potential. I've found it and many others have too. My reason wasn't to climb chutes it was so when I'm in the trees and deep stuff I can let off the gas a bit and not worry bout getting barried. With mine stock I got to keep it floored or it will get buried eventually. Don't get me wrong it out does all my groups sleds bc we all were on stockers w cans but now they don't stand a chance and they all got turbos coming too.

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
If you have to ask the affordability question then don't spend the money cause you really don't have it. Can you afford to replace a motor and a turbo at the same time? Next thing will be 5-7 lbs is not enough so you will need to start spending money on AV or race gas. Then you will need an aftermarket skid to keep the front end down. On and on it goes. I have a turbo and love it. They are a blast. Just don't put yourself in a bad financial position for your recreation.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
If you have to ask the affordability question then don't spend the money cause you really don't have it. Can you afford to replace a motor and a turbo at the same time? Next thing will be 5-7 lbs is not enough so you will need to start spending money on AV or race gas. Then you will need an aftermarket skid to keep the front end down. On and on it goes. I have a turbo and love it. They are a blast. Just don't put yourself in a bad financial position for your recreation.

I don't totally disagree but you don't "need" to turn it up past 5-7. That's still 40-70 horse!

Sleds break. With or without turbos. I've spent more money on sled stuff this year than any before but zero of my problems were turbo related. All first year axys platform related...

ymmv.

D

d-rail76

Dec 27, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
I say boost but beware its a blast you will not be able to go back to a stock sled. Took my buddies 860 pro for a spin recently it just felt weak compared to a turbo. Go with a silber kit runs just like stock until your in the boost great bang for the buck.

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
JJ. We are in agreement that you don't "need" to but the temptation is there. The thought of "one or two more lbs won't hurt" starts creeping into your head. Unless you make the proper adjustments, it will eventually cost you. I have had to do very little to my turbo but I maintain it and always run good fuel. Discipline, maintenance, good fuel, and knowing what your turbo is designed to handle is key. I guess my main point was to have your personal financial house in order before spending the cash on a turbo. If you are not sure your house is in order then take care of that first. You can put a turbo on at a later date.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place

It's not putting me in a bad situation. It's a matter of it would be more responsible to pay extra principle on a home mortgage. I work in an office with a stable, solid salary and good job security. I'm not worried about not being ABLE to make payments at the end of the month. Just to be clear. I just want talked in to treating myself to another 60 hp :)

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
It's not putting me in a bad situation. It's a matter of it would be more responsible to pay extra principle on a home mortgage. I work in an office with a stable, solid salary and good job security. I'm not worried about not being ABLE to make payments at the end of the month. Just to be clear. I just want talked in to treating myself to another 60 hp :)

You won't regret it. Do it.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I'm pretty much set on snowchecking a kit for next year. I'm going to contact silber in july. With any luck they will still have one of their demo kits laying around, but I doubt it. If not I'll snowcheck and have it on by the first snow!

Get with Corey (Boston Racing) when you are ready!

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Every time I go out on mine I am impressed! Just can not get over how clean it runs up every pull, side hill and tree run I throw at it!

Premium Features