• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

14 Pro, cutting out, intermittent

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
14 pro 800, all stock, 250ish miles. Bought at the end of last season and put on 100 miles. Have 5-6 rides on it this year, no issues at all. Today about 3 hours into the ride it started dropping a cylinder. First few times it acted up was after turning out from a climb, when I got back on the throttle. It did it 4-5 more times, usually after a WOT, then letting off and getting back into the throttle.
Pulled the plugs, both look fine, maybe a bit lean. Tested a few more times and now it was acting up even at 1/2-3/4 steady throttle side hilling. Just holding it steady it would drop a cylinder, keep the throttle in the same spot and 5-10 seconds later it would come back and run normal.
Pulled the hood, checked all wiring and connectors I could get to and swapped out the plugs with a "known good" used set. Headed out at that point and it never acted up for the next hour.

Any thoughts? Got it in the shop drying out tonight. Picked up 4 new plugs (dont really think thats it). Going to check all the wiring in the shop in the morning, check the ignition coils for good output, put in new plugs and try it again tomorrow.

Eric

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Might try running it in the dark and jiggle the wiring around and the sled. If it has a short to ground it's a lot easier to see it spark in the dark.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
So I dried it out last night. This morning I pulled the hood, checked compression 110psi (6200ft) both cylinders, check ignition coil output 30KV both coils, Ohm'ed injectors both were 12.3ohms, ground wires were clean and tight, checked all connector terminals and applied dielectric grease. Put in new plugs.

Just rode it in 20" of fresh, heavy powder. Made 2-3 WOT pulls and it ran normal, 4th pull acted up at turn out, 5th pull fell on it face. 2-3 minutes later we rode out and several times it acted up bad just cruising at 25mph.

Check engine light DID come on this time but it was running so bad and the wind blowing so bad I did not get a code.

Is there any way to manually retrieve history codes after the sled has been shut off? (I know the dealer computer can read this)

I'm guessing this might be an EGT sensor problem since the pipe has to get good an heat soaked from making a few good hard pulls before it acts up.
Anyway to test that? Can I ohm that sensor while slowly heating it up with a small torch and see if it goes open or shorted?

Eric

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Changed title to cutting out....Dont know for sure if its dropping a cylinder but when the problem shows up its an instant OFF/ON issue and its a major power loss.

Sounds like there have been a fair number of Exhaust sensor issues....What are the symptoms for that issue?

Eric

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Sensor

Exhaust temp sensor would b my bet. When it happens it retards timing protecting motor, acts like it drops a cylinder. I've had it throw a code and other times just engine light comes on.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I checked the throttle play also, its good. This is something that only shows up after 3-4 WOT climbs in deep powder. the engine/pipe has to get heat soaked for it to act up. coolant temp remains in the 127-132 range. I can ride it for an hour or two doing normal riding at any throttle range and even 1-2 good climbs and it doesnt act up. Eric

C
Feb 8, 2008
Should still be under warranty. Let the dealer read the codes, then start trouble shooting. The ecm is most likely seeing a bad sensor or bad data and attempting to save the motor. When the engine light came on it should have logged a code to point you in the right direction. Other wise your just guessing as to what is actually wrong.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Eric:

When you go into limp mode after WOT pulls, is your screen showing "det"? If so, you can pull the code. Your owners booklet will tell you how. My '13 was having det issues and my dealer replaced the Exhaust Temp Sensor. Have your dealer hook up the scope and see what it shows.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Have not seen the DET light come on. Saturday no warning lights or message was coming on. Today the check engine light and ENG message on display came on but I was not in a spot where I could stop and check the code. When I got to a safe spot the light was out. Going to the dealer in the morning to see if there is a stored code. Eric

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
I bet it's a pipe sensor.. My 12 did the same thing it would just randomly cut out during a climb then power back on.. slowly got worse and worse and finally my engine light came on and stayed on.. I thought it was a fuel issue but dealer plugged it in and it had about 100 codes for pipe sensor..

M

mchilcutt

Dec 24, 2007
I bought a new 14 in Feb last year sled was doing the same thing from 100-180 miles and seemed to get worse with more miles.only happeneing after running awhile then sitting (heat soke). Took it to dealer the code said one of the cylinders was not firing injector related. they replaced the injector harness per the manufactures recomended fix according to the code it was throwing. Have not riden it since the repair.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The history code was for the Mag side injector, Open Circuit. It had happened 32 different times so it was dropping a cylinder as I originally thought. Nothing found with the injector wiring, terminals, and they ohm checked normal at 12.3 ohms. Replaced both injectors. Will know in a day or two if its fixed. Eric

M

mchilcutt

Dec 24, 2007
Hope they fixed it and now that we have snow in Utah i am hopeful they got mine fixed. Nothing worse that dropping a cylinder on a new 12k sled. Glad i have a 3 yr warranty!!!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
so far so good. put 25 miles on it today. Made 10 climbs back to back and it worked perfect.

Now I just have to fix the damage the dealer did to my sled. That story is on hold to see if they will pony up and fix it. Eric

Premium Features