• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Carbon Fibre Hood for the Pro to be released soon.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
That was my point as well. A more efficient cooler might not be enough to over come the loss of cooling going to a carbon fiber tunnel from aluminum because the stock coolers are already borderline.

Carbon is only electrically conductive, no thermal transfer occurs. The carbon tunnel will cool the engine just fine with a smaller, quality, cooler installed. All while using less anti-freeze to accomplish that. IMO FWIW

I
Nov 26, 2007
Carbon is only electrically conductive, no thermal transfer occurs. The carbon tunnel will cool the engine just fine with a smaller, quality, cooler installed. All while using less anti-freeze to accomplish that. IMO FWIW

I agree carbon does not conduct thermally. That's my point. It will be less efficient at cooling than an aluminum tunnel if the coolers are equal. Since the stock coolers are nearly inadequate I don't believe a slightly more efficient cooler will work with a carbon tunnel. If I were installing a carbon tunnel I would also install a larger cooler, which would offset any weight savings. Your choice would obviously be different.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
The issue with a carbon fiber tunnel is carbon fiber flexes and deflects more than alum, BUT it comes back to original shape. Thus a carbon fiber tunnel needs to be made in a honey comb lay up for strength . This makes it either 1/4 to 5/16 thick, and that changes everything on mounting points. Honey comb lay up will make the chassis stronger by 10 times and lighter by half, than if you lay it up with just layers of carbon fiber. If you where to make just a carbon fiber with layers (.063 same as tunnel) you are looking at 5-7 layers of carbon fiber (our pre preg is .010 thick per layer, our 12K is .025 AFTER autoclave) a honey comb lay up has just 2 layers of carbon fiber each side, with a .125 or .250 layer of honey comb center. I plan on making one next summer, big project to make sure everything fits anchoring wise.

Cooling on the pro is not very good, I agree one needs a front cooler like pre 2010 or like the IQ, which is what I am doing, this would eliminate the heat exchangers running the tunnel frame rail. The exchangers being smooth is not a efficient way to cool either, more for structure I believe to the tunnel.

In the process of doing honey comb slide rails, once I am don't I will post a picture on our site of me (199 lbs) standing on them in the middle on 2- 5 gallon buckets, to show how strong they are in honey comb.

The biggest savings with carbon fiber is there is no snow build up while riding!!! I don't understand dry weight, you don't ride it dry!!! As you guys know you can add up to 20-50 lbs of ice and slush, that is where the real savings are!!

TJ

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
TJ, I've filled my shopping cart on your website several times...would be SO AWESOME to hit the "purchase" button.

:)

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
The issue with a carbon fiber tunnel is carbon fiber flexes and deflects more than alum, BUT it comes back to original shape. ...................................

TJ

While for the ultimate in strength verses weight reduction I can agree with going to a cored Carbon Skinned structure.

But to say an X thickness Carbon sheet flexes more than the same X thickness aluminum sheet is complete BS, Because quality fiber of the same thickness is not nearly as flexible as it's 5052 Aluminum counterpart (Stock Tunnel Material).

In my mind a selectively cored tunnel would be the best compromise. Have triangulated cored portions to increase the stiffness and reduce torsion. In essence have raised portions like the Cat's Upset aluminum tunnel skins. But where the attachments are (drop brackets, suspension bolts, running boards, bulkhead, etc.) would thinner and solid fibre. The cored portion surrounding it for the ultimate in support and rigidity.

An excerpt from the DragonPlate website; one of the better know producers of CF structural shapes and sheet.

"How strong are DragonPlate carbon fiber laminates?

Carbon fiber is substantially stiffer and stronger than aluminum or steel. Although the stiffness to weight and strength to weight ratios of carbon fiber are high, the true benefit of composites is realized when specialized core materials are placed between layers of carbon fiber."

Last edited:

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
If you look at the Pro side tunnel it is basically flat except for the lower foot rest bend. A carbon fiber plate the same thickness as alum being made that flat will bend more, I work with it everyday and use the highest quality (same as F1 and IndyCars) Pre Preg and cure it in a autoclave at 50 psi. Throw a couple bends in the part it is stiffer than alum by 5 times...Could honey comb be added in needed sections for stiffness, yes it will help a lot and it would work better than alum for sure. Ever seen a Top fuel dragster in slow motion?? see all the deflection in the body?? All carbon fiber .063 thick. yes carbon fiber is stiffer than alum and steel when a honey comb layer is added. If I take 2 pcs same thickness say .050 being FLAT (like the tunnel sides) the carbon fiber will bend as easy but comes right back, alum will stay bent, thus making it stronger. Once I add bends it is super strong. Add honey comb/core then it is stronger than steel...

This should probably have its own post I don't want to hijack someones post, sorry...If someone wants to start a different post I will comment from there.

TJ

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Thanks for the thread LH.
Rumors here for the 2016 have been circulating around here recently.
One is a lighter hood with LED's. The other is no oil adjustment. Motor, chassis, suspension upgrades? You seem to have some contacts with Polaris. I would be interested in what you have heard. I apologize in advance if I am off topic here. :second:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
TJ, Carbon Fiber is stiffer than both aluminum or steel, even without the core. Period ...............................I find it odd that you continue to argue this point when it is common knowledge.

I have some on hand as well, and can do some tests for the uninformed if pressed to do so.

Can CF be exponentially better with a core? Yes, but even straight fiber will out perform straight aluminum in this application. Especially the garbage alloy all sled manufactures choose for their tunnels. I can appreciate you insisting on a cored part, since your reputation and livelihood depend on it, but the average Joe can replace the stock aluminum tunnel skins with straight carbon skins and ride it like they stole it and never have an issue.

P.S. I started the thread and am happy to take it wherever it should go.

PRO-8250,
I have no contacts, I'm just an informed and passionate sledder, my guess for 2016 would be a mountain sled based off of the AXYS bulkhead / plastics, sporting the 800 HO or updated 600 engine, QD (or at least belt drive). Much more Carbon Fiber and hopefully they go with quality Carbon Fiber this time around, and not the garbage CF look stuff over fiberglass core like they used on the PRO. In essence; Much like the sled I wanted to build for this year, but unfortunately I have too many other irons in the fire presently.

There are also strong rumors of an even narrower and lighter sled in the works for those wanting to take on even tougher technical terrain.

Polaris has had a 340# dry sled/s for years, doing tested and development. FWIW

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I'll wait for CF to come stock. There are weight advantages to aluminum tunnel with marginal coolers. Snow sticks to it and like many have pointed out, loosing that heat sink means more cooling needed someplace to compensate.
All this is becoming more needed with taller tracks needing smaller drivers to have cooler clearance as well as light weight.

Maybe it is time to come up with something a little more effective at dissipating heat than just an hollow extrusion. Even finned extrusion with more surface area has a distance to surface factor for the fluid flowing through. As well as more mass retains heat longer.
Something as simple (but more expensive) as two 1/2" tubes or three 3/8" tubes spaced and hung to create air space all around, running full tunnel length both sides for structure, from plenum to plenum, would be a huge improvement (whew lol).

My experience with marginal cooling includes front of the tunnel only and full length. Full length has the advantage on my temp gauges in the trees. Mostly 'cause there is more contact to aluminum not coolant quantity.
A CF tunnel with only a front cooler would create clearance as well as cooling issues at less than full throttle.

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Ya, though I'd probably add some weight with small cross braces for structure and harmonics.

Wonder if Norway every took the offer and how well it worked. This year would be a good test lol.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'll wait for CF to come stock. There are weight advantages to aluminum tunnel with marginal coolers. Snow sticks to it and like many have pointed out, loosing that heat sink means more cooling needed someplace to compensate.

All this is becoming more needed with taller tracks needing smaller drivers to have cooler clearance as well as light weight.

Maybe it is time to come up with something a little more effective at dissipating heat than just an hollow extrusion. Even finned extrusion with more surface area has a distance to surface factor for the fluid flowing through. As well as more mass retains heat longer.

Something as simple (but more expensive) as two 1/2" tubes or three 3/8" tubes spaced and hung to create air space all around, running full tunnel length both sides for structure, from plenum to plenum, would be a huge improvement (whew lol).

My experience with marginal cooling includes front of the tunnel only and full length. Full length has the advantage on my temp gauges in the trees. Mostly 'cause there is more contact to aluminum not coolant quantity.

A CF tunnel with only a front cooler would create clearance as well as cooling issues at less than full throttle.

I can attest to the cooler contact with aluminum being a huge benefit for cooling.

My plastic tunnel skin makes my sled run 10% hotter than my brothers stock powdercoated tunnel.

Its not a deal breaker though.

I just adopted an actively seeking soft snow riding style.

Since this is the intended goal of riding anyways. :)
de1c066af8c22943852c8251ecc645d7.jpg

No cooling problems yesterday. :)

Last edited:
Premium Features