• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hm turbos wants input designing the new 800h.o. Turbo kit

HM TURBOS

Premium Member
Nov 25, 2008
Lolo, MT
Engineering a turbo kit for the new 800H.O. will be a challenge. Hm has a 2015 Axys with the new engine, in the new platform, that assembly and testing will start in January 2015. The build needs input from snowmobilers who own and or want to purchase a turbo kit. That is why we would like to hear what you are looking for in a turbo kit and what you expect in a kit from Hm Turbos. Please offer your input so Hm Turbos can build the best kit for the future Polaris 800H.O.
Some points of interest to comment:

Price point?
Base kit and Deluxe kit?
Upgrading base kit?
Turbo Brand or Type?
Oil style turbo or Oil less?
Intercooled or Non-intercooled?
Piggy back or Stand alone fuel management?
Brands of fuel management?
Electronic boost control?
Fuel type? pump or av gas combo?
Power level? 5,6,7,8,9,10 more psi?
Spool up time?
Noise level?
Installation time?
Engine Durability?
Dealer or Direct?
Other comments?

Thanks for your input, all posts will be valued in the new build.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I am probably different than most. My answer is one word. Performance.

IMO as a respected kit builder the rest is up to you. However you get the best throttle response, big power, and consistency. The parts and pieces to make that up...... Your decision.

I don't need a "bolt on" kit. If welding, cutting, ect is involved. So be it.

Fuel. Don't care, I want it to rip.

Fuel/engine management. I think a ecu is the best way to go, that way you can dial a lot more things.

I think two price levels of kits is nice.

Oiless.

The other thing is test and tune ride. I think every kit sold should require time on the mountain with builder/owner. I think this would fix a lot of problems. Too many people out there think their sleds are dialed when they are actually turds.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Throttle response, price, tuning issues and durability have always been my hang up on turbos... So if you can make a cheap one with all the above I might be in the market. lol
Ok I'll keep dreaming. Gonna be in your neck of the woods on Christmas crashing on Josh S's couch for about 10 days if your up for a ride.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I'm going to keep dreaming but is like to see something that worked well at low elevation. Anything I've seen has never run below 3000' for any length of time before grenading

I don't need 400 horse but I'd love to see something around 200 horse that was reliable low elevation power

Also I know in the turbo markets it harder to accomplish this, but entry level kits would be awesome. I've seen a lot of guys graduate from one thing to the next when it comes to horse power, so starting them at an entry level kit would be a great way to get guys into the turboed market for future high end stuff

We all know how that works

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'm going to keep dreaming but is like to see something that worked well at low elevation. Anything I've seen has never run below 3000' for any length of time before grenading

I don't need 400 horse but I'd love to see something around 200 horse that was reliable low elevation power

Also I know in the turbo markets it harder to accomplish this, but entry level kits would be awesome. I've seen a lot of guys graduate from one thing to the next when it comes to horse power, so starting them at an entry level kit would be a great way to get guys into the turboed market for future high end stuff

We all know how that works

Yes.
Low elevation turbo with reliability on av gas.
I would be onboard.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i think
multi level kits ie: base, mid and race ( at least two options)
instant throttle responce /performance
self lube
great support team (availible to answer questions/fixes)
as many parts built in the USA or CAN as possible
muffler options or just quiet period
price point seems kit specific but maybe thats where the different level kits come in
and being able to upgrade the kit to the next level would be great and smart
kits seem to be 4600-8600 these days i would think you'd want level 1 to be 5000 +/- to be competitive
odviously if you could produce/sell them for 4000 +/- you would be very busy i think

let it snow

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
As I live and ride from sea level to 8000, for the most part. (Non-Turbo to date) here are my wishes;

Stock ECU re-flash for cost reasons, if more is needed to upgrade, fine
Oil less or fed 2 stroke oil from stock reservoir with Impulse pump for weight and simplicity
Inter-cooled for consistency
IMO it should be on boost before engagement, so as to eliminate the lag and increase ride ability.
being at sea level I don't foresee needing more than 10 PSI for a starter kit, but have heard it is addictive and one always wants more.
I will run whatever fuel is required, I've never understood those that condemn their engines by being cheap on octane after shelling out good money for the goodies that demand it.
Throttle response has to be always there, zero lag 100 percent of the time regardless of what / how you ride it.
near Zero net weight gain

That would be my short list to make me spend the funds for one

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I'm with the other Alaskans above. I've yet to see a turbo that can run as a pull and go sled at sea level.

What I want in my next turbo kit:

Most importantly- reliability
Ecu reflash: (vipec if nessicary, but as everyone else, I'd rather not add $1500)
No oil resivoir: Weither it be oil-less or uses the stock injection pump.
Intercooled: eventually everyone will need a throttle stab on a long pull.
No extra injectors: it's just more hoses to leak
Intake: Draws air from stock location
As quiet as possible while maintaining performance: let's keep our areas open 200-250hp at sea level...tested and mapped at sealevel.
EBC would be nice.

Dealer or direct doesn't matter unless you have plans of a dealer in ak.

Thanks for asking!

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
Heard from 20 or 30 people that tried every kit on the market here in AK and they all blew up our ran like crap. It's pretty crazy that for the most part Alaska is not looked at for performance part development. Most guys buy a sled every year and are willing to spend big money every year on mods. I also need to remind you that everyone here has a sled of some kind. Alaska is a toy state. Most people have multiple sleds, rangers, two boats one for the rivers and one for the ocean, and airplanes. What I am trying to say is "we spend money on having fun".

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
I'm with the other Alaskans above. I've yet to see a turbo that can run as a pull and go sled at sea level.

What I want in my next turbo kit:

Most importantly- reliability
Ecu reflash: (vipec if nessicary, but as everyone else, I'd rather not add $1500)
No oil resivoir: Weither it be oil-less or uses the stock injection pump.
Intercooled: eventually everyone will need a throttle stab on a long pull.
No extra injectors: it's just more hoses to leak
Intake: Draws air from stock location
As quiet as possible while maintaining performance: let's keep our areas open 200-250hp at sea level...tested and mapped at sealevel.
EBC would be nice.

Dealer or direct doesn't matter unless you have plans of a dealer in ak.

Thanks for asking!

This. I want to be able to run reliable around 900' if the snow is good. If I have to run more octane or less boost, so be it. Something I can take out west, do little tuning if need be, and rip. This guy hit it pretty well on the head for me. If not ecu reflash, a fuel controller that is pretty simple to use. Not much on the quiet, but make that an option.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
What kit? Can it handle repeated WFO pull from sea level to 3500 feet in 3 feet of AK's finest spring velvet? Silber, boondocker have yet to make a kit that runs in AK.

Just to be clear, We have a Silber and a BD that both work in AK. Both are non inter-cooled. Now back to the subject...

I personally love the boost and my 16 with be boosted.

Price point? 5K
Base kit and Deluxe kit? 5-7K
Upgrading base kit?
Turbo Brand or Type? As long as it spool fast and does not break the bank to fix if it breaks.
Oil style turbo or Oil less? Either
Intercooled or Non-intercooled? Have yet to run one, maybe a smaller A2A.
Piggy back or Stand alone fuel management? ECU Flash
Brands of fuel management?
Electronic boost control? Manual works just fine but sure.
Fuel type? pump or av gas combo? Straight AV
Power level? 5,6,7,8,9,10 more psi? 8-10
Spool up time? Fast
Noise level? Quieter than normal
Installation time? Does not matter much.
Engine Durability? Of course, I run RK pistons with no issues. Reeds need to last longer!
Dealer or Direct? Direct
Other comments?

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
What kit? Can it handle repeated WFO pull from sea level to 3500 feet in 3 feet of AK's finest spring velvet? Silber, boondocker have yet to make a kit that runs in AK.

I have bd, low comp head, running everything from 10-15 psi, ic and 100ll. Havent touched anything at all, not even mapping. But i am looking at other kits for my next sled, perhaps a Hm kit :)

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Probably a pipe dream but here's my thoughts.

I'm not overly wealthy, and could never convince myself to buy a turbo simply because the kits are out of my price range. If someone ever puts together a simple low boost kit with a MUCH lower price... I, and many others could be persuaded to buy. Again I realize this probably is not a reality, but you asked!

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
I think a simple, reliable, responsive, and affordable kit would sell like hotcakes. I've really wanted to boost my 13, but I hear about a lot of guys that she'll out the coin for a big name kit and aren't happy with the 6-9k they just spent. I'd like to see 200 hp at elevation, lower price point, flashed ecm would be fine. If it needs good fuel, so be it. I agree that low elevation compatibility would be nice. Not all of us ride at 8k', nor do we all want/need the big hp. Id love to see Shane and crew bring something like this to the market. I think there would be a lot of people that would join the dark side...

Premium Features