• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary Stuck

U
Nov 26, 2007
I've got a 13 pro with 500 miles on it. I changed the clutch weights and now the primary is periodically sticking. i.e. it will not engage. Sometime it will engage but not shift back.

Any thoughts on what would cause this to stick? I just got the sled this year. Worked perfect before I changed the weights. New weights are not exactly complicated so I cannot figure how I could have done anything wrong.

pindallout

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
51st State Da U.P., eh!
Primary Binding? Here are my thoughts.

Primary Spring Binding? Do you have Thunder Products Glide Washers?

Primary Spring Broke?

Primary Sheave Bushing Bad?

Primary Shaft Broke?

Do the Weights move Freely?

Did you reinstall Primary Bolt spacers and Torque Bolt to 80 ft lbs?

Which Weights did you install and what spring is installed now?

Does the Sheave move on it's axis (like checking a wheel bearing)?

That's what I can think of right now.

Check the Jam nut is tight on spider.

Check the three rollers that the weights run along.

Ensure to align the Factory "X" Marks (as stated above).

Ok, now I can't think of anything else right now.

Last edited:
U
Nov 26, 2007
Took it all apart. Seems normal. Nothing visually out of place.

The wheel bearing thing from above does concern me. The outside sheeve wiggles a bit. It'll stick when sliding it back and forth

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Took it all apart. Seems normal. Nothing visually out of place.

The wheel bearing thing from above does concern me. The outside sheeve wiggles a bit. It'll stick when sliding it back and forth

I got stuck between the hillside and a tree. I burnt my belt down. Would stick wide open and idling. Had some belt **** stuck between shaft and bushing...

I

ice man

Jan 26, 2008
oliver bc canada
I have had that happen to me twice over the years.first time had a belt thread,[cord]stuck in bushing,had to pull clutch apart, clean,assemble.second time one of my rollers had a flat spot on it,pull apart change roller all good

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I've got a 13 pro with 500 miles on it. I changed the clutch weights and now the primary is periodically sticking. i.e. it will not engage. Sometime it will engage but not shift back.

Any thoughts on what would cause this to stick? I just got the sled this year. Worked perfect before I changed the weights. New weights are not exactly complicated so I cannot figure how I could have done anything wrong.

How did you go about changing the weights? Seems like something changed when you did this.
Did you prop the clutch open without removing the cover? Or did you remove the cover and spring? It's pretty easy to do bushing damage removing and installing the cover if you don't keep it square.
To check the bushings, I would install the cover without a spring. The sheave should slide in and out fully with no tight spots.

U
Nov 26, 2007
I agree with the fact it had to be the weight change, worked perfect before that. Only has 500 miles so it can't be to blown out.

Yes I did pry it open and pinch something in it. I can see how this might put a funny load on clutch.

I have it pulled apart. I cannot visually see anything wrong, Sheeve slides perfect in bench with spring removed and outside cover on. It was binding when moving it by hand on sled with outside cover removed

Just to check I weighed all the weights. All identical.

Only thing I think it could be are the sleeve bearings, sure doesnt show it though.

I'm stumped.

U
Nov 26, 2007
Brought clutch to local shop. They looked at it, all looks fine to them. Nice and smooth on bench. Put it all back together and same thing, works for a bit then sticks. Either sticks shut or it will work for a bit and stick slightly engaged.

When it is engaged slightly and stuck I shut the sled off and watch it and after a minute it will pop back to where it should be. It's bound up somehow.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
To me it sure sounds like a damaged cover bushing, and / or sheave bushing... why the shop didn't find or see the problem is a mystery. I just re read the thread and with all your descriptions the only other thing that comes to mind as a possibility is if you have a hidden crack or two on the shaft.

I suggest it's time to bring the clutch to another shop that's more familiar with working on the P85.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Were these new weights you installed? Polaris weights or another brand? Do they rock on the pivot pin or is there an excess of side to side movement on the shaft? Best advice I could give you from my experience is to go back to original weights to see if it is doing the same thing. At least then you will have a starting point to troubleshoot from.

pindallout

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
51st State Da U.P., eh!
I believe when it was pried open it damaged the bushings/sleeve bearings (polaris term). While prying the clutch open from one side it doesn't allow the clutch to "slide" evenly down the shaft. I think it may have tweaked the bushings, they really are not as tough as one may believe. I know that if you do not tighten the cover bolts evenly while installing will more than likely damage them. So I believe it wouldn't be any different prying it open from one side instead of evenly from all sides. My .02c.

U
Nov 26, 2007
Update:

Replaced both sleeve bearings on the outside cover and sheeve. Had the dealer do it as I don't have a jam nut tool. They said one of them seemed to be hanging up.

Put it all back together and Fire it up. Won't engage. Turn sled off Fire up again and it works but actually stuck closed slightly. Ripped down road from house and it starts acting normal. Ran for 15 minutes all seems well.

Fire it up later today. Same thing all over again. Ride for 20 minutes, back in garage to re-torque primary adjyst belt tension. Fire it up and seems fairly normal.

My mind is boggled. Dealer said there's nothing wrong with it. Going riding in morning. Crossing my fingers. Leaving on a trip in a few days so I'm more than a bit concerned

Premium Features