• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

URGENT !! INJECTOR OIL UPDATE

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Has anyone been able to track down any published technical specs. for VES Gold?

It's difficult to make an informed decision on whether a non-OEM oil will cut the mustard if you don't know where the "bar" has been set..........

FWIW, although it wasn't the OP's intention, I can see many leaving this thread with the opinion that the use of mineral based oils will result in the death of any direct or semi-direct injected 2 stroke engine without considering the important variables of ambient operating temp. & the specs. of the oil itself.

There have been various versions of VES gold. This version is from late 2012. I believe it is the latest version.

All Polaris oil msds- http://purepolarisoil.com/msds/

Polaris VES Gold specific. (The directory tells you it's from October of 2012 but the msds lists the revision date as 2007)

http://purepolarisoil.com/msds/Polaris 2T VES Synthetic Oil _0125_.pdf

2010 revision of VES Gold plus

http://purepolarisoil.com/msds/Polaris VES Gold PLUS 2 Cycle Oil _10309_(1).pdf

Polaris Semi Synthetic (Blue)
http://purepolarisoil.com/msds/Polaris Synthetic Blend 2T _2065_.pdf

VES Race
http://purepolarisoil.com/msds/Polaris VES Race Oil _10302_(1).pdf

I just towed out my 2011 yesterday-- with a crank bearing failure. BUT-- it was @ 4200+ miles all on non- synthetic petroleum based oil. I knew it was time to swap the motor-- I have two Indy Dan long rod motors on order-- they just haven't arrived yet. Tried to push it and paid the price. Don't think I can blame the oil at 4200+ all mountain miles though. However, I do have a TRS recommended skidoo oil cap on order and I will be switching to a synthetic.

Still need to determine which brand of oil...

image.jpg

Last edited:
B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
I just towed out my 2011 yesterday-- with a crank bearing failure. BUT-- it was @ 4200+ miles all on non- synthetic petroleum based oil. I knew it was time to swap the motor-- I have two Indy Dan long rod motors on order-- they just haven't arrived yet. Tried to push it and paid the price. Don't think I can blame the oil at 4200+ all mountain miles though. However, I do have a TRS recommended skidoo oil cap on order and I will be switching to a synthetic.

My limited knowledge of oils tells me that synthetic oil doesn't provide superior bearing lubrication.

redrockwr

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2010
Moab, Utah
Thanks for this thread. I have learned a ton about oil that I was really curious about. Thank you, Thank you.
I have been running Dominator in all of my sleds since new. I also have the same question what the difference between Dominator and Interceptor are and if one is better to run then the other.
Great Thread!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
There have been various versions of VES gold. This version is from late 2012. I believe it is the latest version.

All Polaris oil msds- http://purepolarisoil.com/msds/

Polaris VES Gold specific. (The directory tells you it's from October of 2012 but the msds lists the revision date as 2007)

http://purepolarisoil.com/msds/Polaris 2T VES Synthetic Oil _0125_.pdf

2010 revision of VES Gold plus

http://purepolarisoil.com/msds/Polaris VES Gold PLUS 2 Cycle Oil _10309_(1).pdf

Polaris Semi Synthetic (Blue)
http://purepolarisoil.com/msds/Polaris Synthetic Blend 2T _2065_.pdf

VES Race
http://purepolarisoil.com/msds/Polaris VES Race Oil _10302_(1).pdf

Murph,

Those are MSDS not the technical data sheets.

We need to know both viscosity specs. which are typically measured at 40C & 100C.

See below:

Oil Specs..jpg

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Yup. Buy the biggest, most powerful vehicle you can find, put even bigger tires on, drive it like a wild man, and then endlessly debate fuel economy :lol::face-icon-small-con

Too funny. You pay almost $70,000 for a truck and then the cost of the lift, rims, tires and all the mods the price of fuel is not an issue. As a matter of fact you can justify that the price of anything shouldn't be an issue.

Jan 22, 2014
Sask. Canada

08F6SP

May 27, 2011
I'm no guru but, I did run XL-S in my F6 for the first 3 seasons and it seems like a good oil. I had no need to clean the valves any time I looked at them and what I could see of my pistons looked like brand new. It doesn't smell as nice as Legend but, I've smelled worse.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I'm no guru but, I did run XL-S in my F6 for the first 3 seasons and it seems like a good oil. I had no need to clean the valves any time I looked at them and what I could see of my pistons looked like brand new. It doesn't smell as nice as Legend but, I've smelled worse.

My dads f8 oil pump arm came off and he didnt know till the throttle stuck a few times and had to blip the throttle to un stick it. I was looking around and blipping it and noticed the linkage flipping around. Should have seized but didnt. He ran oil in the gas tank for the rest of the season as well but it also did use oil with arm off... So who knows. He drives wide open everywhere too...and who knows how long it was off. Has 5000 some miles on that sled now... Maybe it was the sonic xl-s oil? Haha

Its also ~$7-8 a litre at coop hardware stores.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
That looks pretty impressive! Can any of the gurus comment on this one?

I'm not a guru but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night................

FWIW, pour point info. without the complete viscosity specs. is next to useless for determining the performance of an oil.

I.E. cleaning solvent may have an impressive pour point but has little. to no, lubricating qualities for an engine.

That said, I am impressed to see that Co-op lists the complete viscosity performance specs.

Many of the oil manufacturers listed on this thread do not publish the complete viscosity performance specs of their product which is IMO is purposely misleading. To add, I noticed that one of the manufactures has a link on their website to an "independent" analysis conducted on their product & a handful of the competitors. This analysis refers to an "RPM Break Down" test that was conducted on all of the oils. From what I could find on the 'net the "RPM Break Down" test is not used / acknowledged by any of the major oil certification / accreditation organizations(API, ISO, JASO, etc.) While I can't validate nor dispute the effectiveness of this test, I have to question the motives of the manufacturer for not using recognized testing protocol for their product. Based on feedback from the forums alone, it is clear that this company does not produce an inferior product however if they wish to retain their credibility with those who have a small understanding of lubricants they should play by the rules & publish officially recognized specs.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I'm not a guru but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night................

FWIW, pour point info. without the complete viscosity specs. is next to useless for determining the performance of an oil.

I.E. cleaning solvent may have an impressive pour point but has little. to no, lubricating qualities for an engine.

That said, I am impressed to see that Co-op lists the complete viscosity performance specs.

Many of the oil manufacturers listed on this thread do not publish the complete viscosity performance specs of their product which is IMO is purposely misleading. To add, I noticed that one of the manufactures has a link on their website to an "independent" analysis conducted on their product & a handful of the competitors. This analysis refers to an "RPM Break Down" test that was conducted on all of the oils. From what I could find on the 'net the "RPM Break Down" test is not used / acknowledged by any of the major oil certification / accreditation organizations(API, ISO, JASO, etc.) While I can't validate nor dispute the effectiveness of this test, I have to question the motives of the manufacturer for not using recognized testing protocol for their product. Based on feedback from the forums alone, it is clear that this company does not produce an inferior product however if they wish to retain their credibility with those who have a small understanding of lubricants they should play by the rules & publish officially recognized specs.

Exactly. I run his oil, but that test sheet that he has laminated and carries with him at all the shows is total BS. IMO he made the damn list himself, and is infact "The Chemist" that published that scam of a test.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Exactly. I run his oil, but that test sheet that he has laminated and carries with him at all the shows is total BS. IMO he made the damn list himself, and is infact "The Chemist" that published that scam of a test.

I read your post, the thread, & any other relevant info. I could find & have to say that I agree.

That said, the company does clearly produce a quality product.

Why not simply publish credible specs.?

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
My dads f8 oil pump arm came off and he didnt know till the throttle stuck a few times and had to blip the throttle to un stick it. I was looking around and blipping it and noticed the linkage flipping around. Should have seized but didnt. He ran oil in the gas tank for the rest of the season as well but it also did use oil with arm off... So who knows. He drives wide open everywhere too...and who knows how long it was off. Has 5000 some miles on that sled now... Maybe it was the sonic xl-s oil? Haha

Its also ~$7-8 a litre at coop hardware stores.

Pretty sure once that linkage comes off it goes to full open on the oil so that would explain why you didn't burn it up.

Premium Features