• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lemon???

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
So I have two 2014 Pro's, 1 Carl's 660, other 800.

I noticed the other day while I unloaded the sleds to use trailer to move a friend that the 800 tail light is out. I check power to bulb housing and good to go, so gotta be the bulb. But scratching my head cause the Carl's 660 tail light bulb is still good. Do I have a lemon 800 or does this Carl's 660 have an aftermarket bulb for the tail light?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
You've got a lemon, I've seen it before. The problem is with the iffling pins that get corroded when the Flux capacitor begins to loose power. Your best option is to install a Carl's supercharger and you'll have an endless supply of power to the Flux capacitor.

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
You've got a lemon, I've seen it before. The problem is with the iffling pins that get corroded when the Flux capacitor begins to loose power. Your best option is to install a Carl's supercharger and you'll have an endless supply of power to the Flux capacitor.

I second that :light:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID

I don't care who you are, this is just freakin' hilarious.... Good one Tuneman.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Lemon because of a tail light out?

You might want to check the connection the harness up the line?

How did you check for power at the tail light?

Well I got one of these doohickeys (picture) from a buddy in Forsyth, MT. He shipped it to me for a heck of a price to Casper, WY. I think shipping was around $25.00.

I do have a super q on the 800, so I not sure if that drained any power from the rear part of the sled to the front.

doohickey.jpg

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I do have a super q on the 800, so I not sure if that drained any power from the rear part of the sled to the front.[/QUOTE]

Its got to be the super q draining the power from the rear of the sled. Why don't you send it to me and I'll send you a stock one that won't drain the power from the rear of the sled. It will actually and a little power to the rear of the sled to make your brake light extra bright so your buds can see you better while your braaaping them with all the extra power your sled will have.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The tail light is an LED unit...no bulb to replace.

Check your ground splice... this is the bundle of brown wires at the bumper mounting bolt...

With your tester... clip to a good confirmed ground.
Next...With the sled started... check the Red wire pin for 12V positive.

If you have power... then that would be your tail light...if not... you have to chase down the issue.

Unplug the brake switch... ground your tester, start the sled... and check for power at the Red wire on the Switch connector (chassis side) that you just unplugged. Power to the LED tail 'running light' is tapped off the power input side of the brake switch.

Do you have brake light but no running light?

Last edited:
I
Nov 26, 2007
Are you using summer weight brake fluid? Might be to warm for winter weight still and that could cause the light to malfunction. Try hooking up the light to your freezer light fixture and see if that makes a difference.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I do have a super q on the 800, so I not sure if that drained any power from the rear part of the sled to the front.

Well, that's likely your answer right there. The bearings in your Super Q likely need lubrication. The increased friction will build up negative ions and begin to short out your stator. Thus, the reason you have lights going out. Give your muffler bearings a good slather of grease and you should be good to go.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
So I have two 2014 Pro's, 1 Carl's 660, other 800.

I noticed the other day while I unloaded the sleds to use trailer to move a friend that the 800 tail light is out. I check power to bulb housing and good to go, so gotta be the bulb. But scratching my head cause the Carl's 660 tail light bulb is still good. Do I have a lemon 800 or does this Carl's 660 have an aftermarket bulb for the tail light?

It's easy to check for an aftermarket bulb. Just lift both sleds by the rear bumper. If the 660 is lighter then it's an aftermarket bulb. If it's the same weight as the 800 it's the stock bulb.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
It's easy to check for an aftermarket bulb. Just lift both sleds by the rear bumper. If the 660 is lighter then it's an aftermarket bulb. If it's the same weight as the 800 it's the stock bulb.

By golly, this worked, the 660 weighed more, I checked the 660 bulb and it had fluid in it. The 800 didn't have any fluid in its bulb. Do I need to get one of these thingamajigger's? Anyone recommend where I drill a pilot hole into the bulb to place fluid in it? I don't really wanna go to Driven in Casper and spend money on Polaris Factory fluid taillight bulb, unless I am unaware of a recall on the bulb that was in the 800.

thingamajigger.jpg

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
By golly, this worked, the 660 weighed more, I checked the 660 bulb and it had fluid in it. The 800 didn't have any fluid in its bulb. Do I need to get one of these thingamajigger's? Anyone recommend where I drill a pilot hole into the bulb to place fluid in it? I don't really wanna go to Driven in Casper and spend money on Polaris Factory fluid taillight bulb, unless I am unaware of a recall on the bulb that was in the 800.

Did you change to winter air yet in the 660 bulb housing? If not that will cause the condensation (fluid) you are talking about. The 800 does this automatically every time you hit the "oil reset button" on the dash after doing an oil change. The 660 is much more to maintain then the 800 because of that middle 6 in the number.

Don't waist your money on that tool as that model doesn't filter the air first. Snap-on has a better one with an LED light for about $2,500 more.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
My buddy’s uncle’s cousin on his sister’s side has one of those Snap On versions, with the LED light, that you could probably borrow. He only used it one time last fall when a big ol’ pig got stuck in the snow bank out back of Millers farm near Casper. I don’t know how it got stuck there, but it was stuck. So, since the tractor was in the barn getting new knuckle shafts put in, he hooked onto the front end of that big ol’ pig with his Snow Bungee, tied the bungee to the sled and gave ‘er a big ol’ yank. That pig popped outta there like a cork in a shook up champagne bottle! Damned if it didn’t crash into the back end of his sled and mess up the taillight. I suppose that’s what you get for trying to unstick a Yamaha…

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Don't spend any money on tooling. MH sent me the diagrams and a few pictures of the O.E.M. Polaris Element Refurbishment Equipment.
Didn't have the license or funds needed so the local high school built one from "appropriated" building/ plumbing materials !!

4.jpg

Need to know if your bulb is orange or more clear type?
Clear $155 Orange $174 to recharge

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The amount of trolling in this thread is amazing :bounce: Thanks for the early morning laughs!

Sir, we don't joke about tail light bulbs here at Snowest. This is a top safety item on our sleds and it's important to make sure they are running correctly. I can't even begin to count the number of guys that don't check their taillight bulbs properly each season and then lose a turbo or head gasket because of it.

Premium Features