• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil pump need replaced?

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
I have a 2013 Pro 800 and I'm having an issue with the motor and exhaust loading up with oil when it sits for awhile. If it sits for a month and I start it up it will be so saturated with oil that it will barely run at first and the neighbors think my house is on fire from all the smoke! Now, I've been around 2 strokes all my life, so I know they smoke, but this is excessive. It seems to use the right amount of oil when running so I guess what I'm wondering is, does the oil pump have a slow seep that slowly drips oil into the motor and should I just replace it. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Pretty sure thats normal. All my pros did that after being stored and my Axys with electric pump also smoked like crazy for a few minutes after starting it up the first time of the season.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
There are 5 oil injection check valves between your oil lines and the crankcase. They are there to keep the oil lines flooded with oil and not drain when the engine isn't running. The cracking pressure on them is very low, like 2psi or something.

Over the summer, when things heat up, the warm oil can build enough pressure to cause a leak at any of the valves. They can also get dirty and leak. A small amount of oil leakage is normal. If you have more than an ounce or 2, one of the check valves may be bad.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
There are 5 oil injection check valves between your oil lines and the crankcase. They are there to keep the oil lines flooded with oil and not drain when the engine isn't running. The cracking pressure on them is very low, like 2psi or something.

Over the summer, when things heat up, the warm oil can build enough pressure to cause a leak at any of the valves. They can also get dirty and leak. A small amount of oil leakage is normal. If you have more than an ounce or 2, one of the check valves may be bad.

X2 on them check valves I replaced all mine. There is no testing procedure if you question them Polaris says to just replace them all. You probably have one or more stuck open. Loosen your oil cap and if it quits your just building pressure, if it keeps doing it you have a stuck check valve

Premium Features