• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Top end rebuild - AXYS Pistons in a Pro?

W
Nov 27, 2013
I need to rebuild top end on 2015 RMK Pro. Does anyone have any experience using Axys pistons in a Pro? I thought I read a thread where guys were upgrading to Axys pistons but I checked with two local dealers and they said it is not to be done. One check with Polaris and they said it won't work. Wondering if I misread or misremember the thread on guys upgrading to Axys pistons? Anyone have any knowledge on this?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Yep. I run Axys pistons, and so do a couple of my buddies. I don't know what they are talking about.

The 15 Pro piston is a very good choice too. The Axys is about 2x the money.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I have axys pistons in my pro as well. Indy dan put mine together, dimensionally the same but axys pistons have the oil grooves cut in the exhaust side.

Would it be safe to assume that the Axys pistons would fit the Pro models back as far as a '13? I have 34xx miles on mine so I'm thinking about getting new pistons in the next year or so. I've read that guys were putting the Pistons from the 15 in the 13 so I'm guessing if a 15 can accept the Axys pitons then a 13 could too?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The Axys pistons will retro all the way back to the 2008 Dragon CFI's.

But.....Id highly recommend installing the Fix Kit from MTNTK and get some improvement on side loading issues and an increase in crankcase volume. This motor has been suffering from this issue since its inception.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
If I was rebuilding I still wouldn't go with Polaris pistons. They had such a bad tract record through the CFI's that I can't imagine oil grooves made them that much better. Is it still the same place making them in Spain? I guess if Indy Dan is using them, they must be better. But I'd still take a set of Wossners or Wiseco's in a FixitKit (.25" spacer) configuration or without before I'd go back to running OEM pistons.

Otherwise same bore, stroke, and pin placements.

Premium Features