• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

enclosed trailer heaters

S
Sep 9, 2008
wanting to install propane heater in my 27 ft enclosed snowmobile trailer. Just wondering what would work the best. I would like to be able to dry all of our wet gear. I am thinking it would be best to use a direct vent heater but dont know for sure

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
you want an Atwood or Suburban forced air heater 30000 BTU's should be enough but if you have the cash a 2 stage 40000 BTU is the way to go!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Do not scrimp or go short on this project. Do it right the first time. Get yourself a real high quality forced air furnace system (fan driven, ducted, vented 12v) like the Suburban and Atwood. Plan on a minimum of 35,000 BTU for a four place enclosed.

Mirage Trailers in Nampa Id did our trailer up with a system and it is absolutely excellent. We had blue flame with propane assist and there is simply no contest between the two types. The blue flame was a just a waste of money.

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
i have a attwood 30000 btu and it is a great heater in my 27 interstate
furnace003.jpg

B
Jan 21, 2003
I have a pro com 27000 btu propane radiant heater with a thermostat in my 27ft interstate, the damn thing will cook you out of there, put a couple small 12v fans to blow the heat and you will dry out your closes in no time. We also stay in the trailer in the winter.....and the great thing is it only cost $150 bought it from northern tool and equipment.

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
I have a pro com 27000 btu propane radiant heater with a thermostat in my 27ft interstate, the damn thing will cook you out of there, put a couple small 12v fans to blow the heat and you will dry out your closes in no time. We also stay in the trailer in the winter.....and the great thing is it only cost $150 bought it from northern tool and equipment.

?? does the radiant heater have open element inside the trailer--i thought about them but the fumes from fuel scared me:eek::eek:

S
Sep 9, 2008
Whats the best way to run the forced air furnace? I don't really want to run a generator or propane. what are my options as a power supply?

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I just have a 2 place enclosed. 12' box + the 4' (?) v.

I think this is ~8000 BTU, no fan, convection. Pulls air from outside, exhausts outside.

I'll be installing a small / quiet marine fan on top of the heater to move some air accross gear and towards the rear of the trailer.
Also have a cealing fan/vent setup that can work as an exh or intake.

01trlrsetup.jpg

B
Jan 21, 2003
?? does the radiant heater have open element inside the trailer--i thought about them but the fumes from fuel scared me:eek::eek:

yes it does have an open pilot flame, but if you think about it the exhaust from the sleds is fuel that is already burned, and if you open the vents you will have no problems. There are probably a dozen of us that use this system, and we have never had any problems its a cheap way to get excellent instant heat. Just my two cents

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
Heaters

Just spoke with the guy about the Pro Com heater and he suggested a Blue Flame unit, now I have a radiant heater in my shop and it works awesome just doesn't recover fast when the doors are open. What would heat a trailer faster? Blue flame or radiant? Definitely like the price on these units.

D

DARKO

Nov 21, 2007
Kelowna, BC.
Atwood 40,000 BTU is the way to roll in a 27ft. Most efficient for that size of trailer. Try to minimize the amount of 90 deg elbows as possible, 1 90deg elbow is like adding 10' of ducting....

Last edited:
V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
As long as it's a vented type, it should light. The low oxygen detectors on Mr. Buddies and such cause them to shut down at altitude. Olympian makes some catalytic ones that are ventless and work at altitude, but pricey for the btus.

B
Jan 21, 2003
As long as it's a vented type, it should light. The low oxygen detectors on Mr. Buddies and such cause them to shut down at altitude. Olympian makes some catalytic ones that are ventless and work at altitude, but pricey for the btus.

Mine also has a oxygen detector in it, but it has never shut down at high altitude, in fact we just used it a couple weekends ago at 8500ft, and kept us nice and warm all night in 15 degree weather.

A
Dec 8, 2007
FWIW I put a vented heater in mine, I know they cost a bit more but I was worried about gassing myself out. Better safe than sorry- and you can run a duct down to the end of the trailer to spread the heat out when your drying the sleds and gear. Just my .02

Premium Features