• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 M8 bent steering rod

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
bent the rod that goes from the post to the steering linkage. the one above the engine. I feel like and idiot for 1. doing it but 2. I can't for the life of me get the thing off to staighten it or replace it. Anyone want to give me a quick removal of 2 bolts 101 lesson on this? Or is there a trick to this? just looking at it is appears very easy, both sides do not budge.

Thanks

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
1. Place a wrench on the flats machined into the tie rod near where #14 is pointing at in the parts diagram
2. Loosen nut #13 in a normal clockwise direction
3. With wrench still on the flats near #14, loosen nut #15. Nut #15 is left-hand thread which means you'll need to turn it backwards of normal to loosen it. Or in otherwords, as you're standing on that side of the sled, place the wrench on the nut with the wrench horizontal towards the silencer side and rotate the wrench up and around towards the engine
4. With the nuts loose on both ends, grab the tie rod and rotate it by hand to unthread it from the ball joints
5. After bending multiple tie rods on my '08 M8, got smart and ordered the 2009+ HCR tie rod as a replacement as it is a stronger, larger diameter design. Part number 0605-994 and is ~$30.

49.gif

S
Mar 3, 2009
Edson AB
Also if ur in a pinch once u have it off u can usually straighten it enough to slide a piece of 5/16" cold roll in which will finish straightening the rod and keeps it from bending, I also did that to the new one I put on 4yrs and many trees later it's still going strong

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
1. Place a wrench on the flats machined into the tie rod near where #14 is pointing at in the parts diagram
2. Loosen nut #13 in a normal clockwise direction
3. With wrench still on the flats near #14, loosen nut #15. Nut #15 is left-hand thread which means you'll need to turn it backwards of normal to loosen it. Or in otherwords, as you're standing on that side of the sled, place the wrench on the nut with the wrench horizontal towards the silencer side and rotate the wrench up and around towards the engine
4. With the nuts loose on both ends, grab the tie rod and rotate it by hand to unthread it from the ball joints
5. After bending multiple tie rods on my '08 M8, got smart and ordered the 2009+ HCR tie rod as a replacement as it is a stronger, larger diameter design. Part number 0605-994 and is ~$30.

49.gif

Wow.....Thank you for this.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
It's off. Took all of 5 minutes after the excellent instructions. It was such a challenge for me because of the bend. I ended up having to take the pipe off, and still couldn't unscew it because it would bump into the oil tank. I cut it off and I will order the new one tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Also if ur in a pinch once u have it off u can usually straighten it enough to slide a piece of 5/16" cold roll in which will finish straightening the rod and keeps it from bending, I also did that to the new one I put on 4yrs and many trees later it's still going strong

Another trick is to cut a piece of 5/8" I.D. steel tubing that fits snugly over the stock tie rod once it is bent back mostly straight or as a preemptive fix.

Premium Features