• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Survival kit

S
Aug 16, 2016
Hi,

I’m a bit new to snowmobiles and am going out on a trip with some more experienced friends. I wanted to make sure that I am as prepared as possible for our adventure though and have been researching survival gear to buy online. I’m pretty outdoorsy – and enjoy fishing and hunting but am less experienced in snowy environments. Am super excited about getting out and about on the snowmobiles 

snowmobile.jpg

I just wondered what you thought are must have bits of survival gear for snowy places? What pieces of kit can you absolutely not do without?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Last edited:
C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
In addition to the above I carry a basic first aid kit. Fire is a big key to survival if spent for an extended period of time or if someone gets hurt and is unable to ride. I carry a flare type fusie for ignition but I know others carry waterproof matches. Bic lighters sometimes do not work at a higher elevation. I also carry a tampon to dip in the gas tank to help with ignition. A saw of some type to cut wood for firewood or if you need to cut something you are stuck on. A dry pair of socks in case you get wet, gloves as well. I also carry an extra thermal top to keep me warm (if you're not riding you get cold quick). Zip ties, tape, and basic tools to improvise a repair allowing you to make it back to the truck. A water bottle, you can always fill with snow and melt by the fire for drinking if you run out. High protein foods in case you spend the night. A Bivy sack to sleep in, it will keep you off the snow and help hold your body heat in. A tow strap, you can use it for much more than to tow a sled! I don't have my bag in front of me so I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more. Hope this helps!

Also, talk with your riding group to see what they are carrying, you can split tools and some survival gear up to lighten the load.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If you're riding in the mountains, and do not have a group of highly experienced riders with both mechanical and mountain riding skills and gear, also get an InReach or Satellite phone, know how to use it, make sure it's powered. It's great to be able to survive a night or two in the bush. Chit happens, especially to the less experienced, and being able to call out for help when it's time is the best way to avoid more dramatic consequences. If you're in avy territory, everyone should have training and gear, and have some peeps who have the training and experience to recognize avy risks.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Good advice above. Also, a high quality knife, compass, saw and a candle. I get the big fat short candle that is shrink rapped in plastic. Toilet paper for a fire starter and the obvious. If you have to many people that can be a problem also. With real off the beating path we like 3-5 people. But if it is an area well known by the riders it can be fun with a bigger group. Discuss your plan the night before and in the morning go over it again. In most cases if one has to go back everyone goes back.
http://snobunje.com/product/snobunje-steel-handle-saw/

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
When I mentioned planning the night before that also means checking the weather, avalanche reports, sunup and sundown times. I am the old guy in the group and I ALWAYS have a wrist watch on. Depending on where we are I always bring up the subject of turning back in more than enough time. Bad things can happen in a very short time and can be a lot worse in the dark.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
I had to actually deal with this last year, just about lost a buddy. long story short his sled tipped over and the handlebars came down on his neck and he couldn't breath. by the time we got to him he purple and not breathing. we were able to revive him but he was completely out of it, would try and fight us. this happened at 2pm and help didn't arrive until 9pm, 7 LONG hours. most of us are prepared for avalanches with beacons/probes/packs etc (my whole group is) but this was a real eye opener. have a way of communication (sat phone, inreach, spot etc). the first thing I did was buy a sat phone, I wanted to be able to make a call, not a text or hit a button and hope for the best. next you need a way to tell them your location so I went and bought a very good GPS (we had one in out group but I wasn't going again without my own). like the other have said make sure you have a way to start a fire (lighter, matches, flint whatever). we all carry fuel on our sleds so getting one to start was a non issue. next thing to remember that when your sledding the only wood you find is tree tops, which are alive and don't burn worth a ****. you cant create a fire base to keep one going so we were constantly splashing gas on it to keep it alive. a GOOD saw, you have no idea how tiring it gets when your constantly cutting tress with a ****ty hand saw. lots of water, high protein food etc. we had some but certainly not enough for the night. emergency blanket. this is something we didn't have. lucky for us a couple random helpers did, we do now. flashlights both to see and signal. there are a million other things to bring and as bad as it was it could of been worse and it was a real eye opener for all of us.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Last season, after seeing first hand a group with a SPOT safely reach their trucks with aid of friends who came to their rescue, and another group with no SPOT losing a family member, I urge people to carry some form of GPS locator. It was heart wrenching to look, and look, and look, knowing the clock was ticking, and knowing a $100 device could have saved a life. With whiteout conditions for days, a search for a snow cave is at best a needle in a haystack.

I'm all for people carrying survival gear as well, because GPS locators are not perfect and it does take time for SAR to mobilize and find people. Well enough equipped, you can wait out a storm or have a night out without too big a deal. But add in serious injury or other circumstances and you'll be extremely grateful for a GPS locator, your rescuers will be extremely grateful as well.

Last edited:
R
Aug 18, 2009
Squamish, BC
This may be overkill but I use this list and have this on my truck dash on outings and at home with the lady.

Ren’s Winter Backcountry gear
Date of Birth......
778-363-*^&*
2015 Ford F150 White
2016 skidoo xm t3 163 black, 10l extra gas
No Medical Conditions/ Allergies
, INREACH and under truck seat itinerary
2 x baofeng uv5r on freq 462.637

Inclometer
Magnify glass
Bca crystal card
Pen/marker
Notebook
Manual compass
Whistle
Garmin HCX GPS
InReach SE two way communicator
2x AA Batteries
3 X AAA Batteries

Thai noodles-500 cal (Emergency food)
Cliff Bar x 2 250 cal (Emergency food)

3 Flares
2 Bear Banger
3 x Tampons (fire starter)
2 lighters

Toilet Paper

Medical Kit (all vacuum sealed)
Burn Cream
Twizzer
Bandaid
Steri Strips
Alcohol wipe
Medical gloves
T3
Tensor Bandage
Medical Splint
Duct Tape
Clotting Sponge

Utility
Multi Tool (thread, needle, Pliers, screw driver)
Locking Carabiner w/ 50 inch webbing for personal self loading anchor
Emergency Bivy sack
Hand Warmers x 3
Headlight + extra batteries
30” Rope

2x large Garbage bag
Fire paper and launder lint w/ vaseline
Shirt and socks (vacuum sealed)
Gloves x 3
Goggles x 2

BCA avalanche float 30 pack with cylinder fill Sept 2, 2016
Saw with new blade
Black Diamond Transfer 3 Shovel
Pieps Sport Avalanche Transceiver
Black Diamond 280 cm Probe
BCA Float 30 Avalanche Bag (canister filled Nov 2015)

Day of supplies
2l water in bladder in pack
Food for day
Arcterxy Polyfill Jacket Black
Arcteryx Bib Pant black
Hestra Gloves x 3
Oakley Googles Red x2
Toque Black

Premium Features