• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRO RIDE TUNNEL REINFORCEMENT KIT

S
Feb 2, 2009
FARGO ND
LOOKING FOR SOME INPUT ON POLARIS FACTORY ACCESSORY TUNNEL REINFORCEMENT KIT. DUE THEY HELP WITH THE RUNNING BOARD CRACKING CONCERNS ? DUE THEY CAUSE A SNOW BUILD UP CONCERN ? DUE THE RIVETS THAT YOU INSTALL IN THE TUNNEL COME IN CONTACT WITH THE TRACK? I JUST CAN'T BRING MYSELF CUTTING OUT THE RUNNING BOARDS ON A NEW SLED TO INSTALL BETTER BOARDS

R

redink420

Feb 6, 2009
After 8 or 9 days on my '11 I installed better boards. I was getting buildup and could already see the factory cutouts starting to bend. I won't hesitate to cut the '12 up before it even hits the snow.

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
After 8 or 9 days on my '11 I installed better boards. I was getting buildup and could already see the factory cutouts starting to bend. I won't hesitate to cut the '12 up before it even hits the snow.

I have the Polaris reinforcement braces and don't really recommend them. They did strengthen the boards and held up well but I found they allowed more ice to build up.
I went ahead and ordered Air Frames. Pretty sure that is the only way I am going to be truly happy.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Pol reinforcements do help stiffen/strengthen the boards if you don't wanna cut up the boards.

Aftermarket boards will most likely be 'better' yet, but obviously, require cutting.

TOlsen

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Martin City, MT
I put on the Polaris reinforcements and my boards still bent. Mostly behind them, but some in the center. This is not a shock, I'm a huge guy. Now if I want to remove these for better boards I'll have holes in the side of my tunnel. I'm going to skip these on my 12 and plan on adding inserts when need be.

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
My Pro never saw snow before I was hacking away, and installing better boards, it was tough cutting into a brand new sled, but I don't regret it, 1100 miles and zero running board issues.

DSCF6045.jpg

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I've had on Better Boards (of course) in September about twenty minutes after it hit the ground. NOT ONCE HAVE I BEEN SORRY! Plain and simple it's one of the best aftermarket products on the planet and they flat out work for the PRO.

Certainly the PRO is a huge improvement over the iq raw for running board clearing but not in strength and they don't even come close to performing as well as BETTER BOARDS.

Want even stronger then the proven standard? They can be made in any material thickness...THE HD STUFF HAS BEEN AWESOME.

DO IT and quit handicapping yourself...life is too short to not have the best!

D
Mar 31, 2011
so, really, how hard is the install on these better boards? is it pretty hard to screw up the install? Man, cutting on a brand new sled scares the crap out of me:face-icon-small-sho

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
"pictures" thanks that was hilarious! Yes 2deep we invite 'you...' to save your money!...and thank you for your comments..brap :face-icon-small-ton

doc not horrible and keep in mind now well over 10,000 people have chopped away prior to you FOR JUST BETTER BOARDS (probably add about fifty more for the rest of our competition BRAP BRAP:face-icon-small-ton)...and believe it or not some have bunked things up! BUT it's a pretty simple concept and takes about 2 hours for most folks to accomplish on their first install. I've done over 200 myself and I'm NOT CONSIDERED THE BEST MECHANIC IN THE INDUSTRY! (that will be hilarious to some that have raced with or worked for me in racing during the past...I was restricted from any mechanical activities because we liked to win!)

Lay em over your board....trace your cut path...cut out the entire footbed (not little window holes) below the the Better Board leaving adequate metal to catch a rivet. Drill out your holes and install the steel rivets supplied.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
so, really, how hard is the install on these better boards? is it pretty hard to screw up the install? Man, cutting on a brand new sled scares the crap out of me:face-icon-small-sho

The actual cut was the most "work" when I did mine on my previous sled.
But, that depends on your cutting tool I spose.

I used a Jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. It wanted to bounce around a bit, but it got 'er dun.

An air riveter is STRONGLY recommended as well.

What kind of cutting tool does work the best/smoothest for this operation? Any tips?
Cut off wheel on a RotoZip? Doubt any body saw/tools will be affordable enough to justify for such an occasion.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Me and Buds experience... Air Riveter and a cut off wheel (Thanks Shanny) still need a file too for getting rid of the shrapnel... man would a die grinder work awesome.
I must be slow cuz it took me about 4 hrs (m series), but we clamped the crap out of everything in the best effort to get them on perfect. Be sure not to set the boards in place and trace around the outside of the boards and start cutting!!! You'll have nothing left to rivet it too. (may seem obvious but it's been done).
I rode today in snow deep enough to come UP through the better boards and I am a believer more than ever. Mine are on a M8 (4 sale!) extra thick and powder coated. My New Ride will have them on as well.

Tried the jigsaw, rotax you are the man! and a dremel is good for the little stuff but I think you would go through about $9,673.46 worth of cutting discs doing the entire project;)

Last edited:

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
A plasma cutter worked great...yes this was my first time ever using one.

2007 RMK Dragon 700
DSC_01.jpg

Test Fit
DSC_03.jpg

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
The Polaris reinforcements are a joke. Save your money... don't buy them. They don't "reinforce" and hold more snow. BB's take care of all of the problems. But, if you really want them, I'll sell you mine for what I paid. Just let me know :face-icon-small-win

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I have a sweet little Hypertherm PowerMax 380 plasma cutting machine that is one heck of a tool! Hot knife through butter. THIS IS A FUN GADGET TO HAVE! You can ruin thousands of dollars worth of metal in hurry. I don't have a back hoe but this has to be the garage tool equiv of that for MAN-awesome-NESS.

The disadvantage of plasma is the clean up (slag that has to be ground down or off) plus it takes a very skilled operator to cut a nice clean straight line. The more experience you get with what you are doing helps to eliminate the slag as well. You can see every shake and wobble in your results. The good news is on the PRO because Polaris made such a mess of the running board that you don't or can't bother to worry about a straight cut path and still get catch material. Oh well it's on the under side so no worry.

The next best cutting tool has been a cheapo harbor freight air body saw...they get down to $9 on special but mostly around 12-15. They wear out or get bound quickly but you can get three or four installs per.

Yes 100% you should all invest in a Harbor Freight air rivet gun as well. $39 and it will do a bunch of board installs...I think I've used only two in all of my installs and that is amazing! Most of 10,000 rivets was on one and I just barely had to buy another!

Premium Features