• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex - Power to Wieght ... What to do?

SledKrazy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast Oregon
I ride a stock Apex... Barkbuster frontend and a 2" Riser

I ride with 6 guys real often all riding Polaris Dragon 700's and RMK's

Sometimes a few Skidoos etc..... mostly under 800cc's

So i am finding it very upsetting that my 1000cc's clutched properly is not highmarking these yahoos....

If i pull the same hill they can climb 2 to sometimes 3 times as far with thier units in a str8 up climb - no fancy climbing...

Its fairly frusterating and without sticking a ton of money in mine - what is a yammy fan to do when the power to wieght is so out of balance.....

Stock for Stock - I beat by 700's.... kinda bites...

Any thoughts for a yammy fan?

C
Nov 27, 2007
Whats your rider skill level? I cant see an 800 outclimbing you by 2-3 times as far. Maybe two or three sled lengths.

Are you putting her to the bar?

track and setup

The stock maverick track sucks. The paddles lay over and you get no traction. Also, make sure your limiter straps are pulled up at least 2 maybe 3 holes. This, along with a challenger extreme, made mine climb way better. Before I pulled the limiter straps up, it would go from one stuck straight to another stuck. It would dig straight down. Try it...you'll be pleasently surprised.

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
$hitcan that track, put on a Challenger Extreme, it will make a difference climbing.

RXB-1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Oregon
Save up for a TURBO :D you will never regret it! I agree wih the guys above check your set up. you should be very close to the 800s now.

Last edited:

SledKrazy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast Oregon
This is my first Four Stroke - and I have to admit it took some getting used too - however I am in my early thirties and have been riding since I was a kid. I would hope I still have it :)

I will try the strap idea - I did not know about that - also the track sounds like a plan thanks for your input!

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Something isn't right, you should be right there with those guys, Certain snow conditions will swallow a stocker but you're still pushing 10 more hp than the 700s. It takes a Turbo to be climbing 2-3 times as high as a stocker.

SledKrazy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast Oregon
Thats really what I thought also - they have very little on me at all - only two have piped and reeded thier Dragons - the others are stock... so I would have thought I could have ran with them np... anyways I will suck up the Limiter strap and see what happens before I spring for a track.

Its a little frusterating when you have to mod your 10k sled just to run with a 700...... and i just refuse to leave the Royals Royce of Sleds - the Yammys are it....

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Apex

If you cant turbo, throw a nice shot of NOS on, it wont hurt that 4 stroke, and change the track.

Forgot to ask

Do you have the coilover shocks or air shocks? The stock coilover shocks suck. I had to tighten the springs all the way up and suck up the limiter straps(on the 3rd hole now and still experimenting) to get any ski pressure which helps keep it from trenching. Before I made these changes, my sled was dangerous to ride. It was like riding a bowling ball. I couldn't even ride it in a straight line. My riding partners who have been riding sleds all their lives rode it and couldn't wait to get back on theri RX1s. After the changes, I had to beg for it back. I blamed it on the track at first and changed it out to the challenger extreme. It made a huge difference in traction but was still trenching horribly and unrideable. My buddy has one with the fox floats. He was able to put enough air in the shocks to get ski pressure and his doesn't seem to trench too bad. He still has the maverick and his does alright. The maverick is not far behind the extreme in the lightest and deepest of snow, but if it is setup at all, you are in for a treat. I rode his back to back with mine on the same climb where our speeds were only maybe 10 mph ground speed. When I crossed others people's trenches while climbing with his, it would pick up a little speed. On mine with the extreme, it would just about launch out from under you. Huge difference.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
If you do the turbo they won't want to ride with you, LOL. If you don't mind spending a few bucks to shed some weight, put the Mtn Tamer rear skid and drop brackets in which will save you about 38lbs and at the very least turn the stock track around.

S
Nov 27, 2007
NorCal
You should be able to take 'em stock. Somethings wrong with your setup. First thing to look at is how much your rpms fall off. May have to gear down and do some clutch tuning.

Premium Features