• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adding oil to gas tank

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
When I stated max oil pump output I should have said "Way more oil than would normally be put out by the pump when the cable is connected correctly". So with the increase in oil into the fuel /air mix the amount of fuel is decreased and replaced by oil. Oil doesn't burn at the same rate as fuel so with less fuel to cool the combustion cycle the mixture burn temperature increases causing a "Lean" condition which causes high EGT. There's only so much oil, fuel and air ingested each cycle. If we change the ratio's then we affect the lubrication, burn rate and temperature of the cycle. That's a long winded explanation....as I see it. I am sure there are some engineers on her that could explain it much better.

I would like to see real world EGT data to support your claim of high EGT due to a lean condition caused by adding oil to the gas. Unless you have data you are just guessing that is what happens.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
and try to avoid sustained runs at 5,800-6,200 RPM

This goes for every newer Efi sled I've had. Stay out out of polonged midrange pulls like cruising down the trail without varying the throttle. Except for my M1k since it had a fuel box I richened the mid range.
3-4 turns. Ck your consumption over a days ride. Then adjust check next ride and adjust accordingly.

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
I would like to see real world EGT data to support your claim of high EGT due to a lean condition caused by adding oil to the gas. Unless you have data you are just guessing that is what happens.

No, it's even more bizarre than that. He's claiming high EGT temps when the oil pump started pumping extra oil. He's claiming the oil pump adding excessive oil displaces fuel coming through the carbs and creates a lean Air Fuel mixture.

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
No, it's even more bizarre than that. He's claiming high EGT temps when the oil pump started pumping extra oil. He's claiming the oil pump adding excessive oil displaces fuel coming through the carbs and creates a lean Air Fuel mixture.

lots of guys here say some bizzare things

like polaris engineers dont know what they are doing...lol

R

RETRO ASSAULT

Banned
Oct 17, 2013
Firestone Co, North Denver
I bet some of the people on this forum are very hard to work with. They think they know it all. But don't know crap. These are the same people that will bash on miss spelling, because it makes them feel better that they are right about something.
This subject has been beat to death with worng or worthless posts.
Add oil if you want, turn your oil pump up if you want, F-ing turn your oil pump down if you want. It's your $10000 snowmobile, be a big boy and make up your mind.
Did I spell anything wrong. I hope not.
What does the fox say? POW POW POW POW POW!

Last edited:
O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I bet some of the people on this forum are very hard to work with. They think they know it all. But don't know crap. These are the same people that will bash on miss spelling, because it makes them feel better that they are right about something.
Add oil if you want, turn your oil pump up if you want, F-ing turn your oil pump down if you want. It's your $10000 snowmobile, be a big boy and make up your mind.

You sir have added nothing to this discussion. I started this thread to make an attempt at bringing some science to the discussion with the result to be the ability to make an informed decision as to whether or not adding oil to the gas helps or hurts. If you are a “big boy” and just make decisions on critical functions in a 2 stroke motor, by the seat of you britches, then fine, but don’t berate those who want to understand what works and what is forum myth. I was hoping to remove this issue from, .. “well I hear a lot of guys do it, so I do it”. There has been a lot of good information presented in this thread, and some speculation, so hopefully more useful data/info will continue.

R

RETRO ASSAULT

Banned
Oct 17, 2013
Firestone Co, North Denver
You sir have added nothing to this discussion. I started this thread to make an attempt at bringing some science to the discussion with the result to be the ability to make an informed decision as to whether or not adding oil to the gas helps or hurts. If you are a “big boy” and just make decisions on critical functions in a 2 stroke motor, by the seat of you britches, then fine, but don’t berate those who want to understand what works and what is forum myth. I was hoping to remove this issue from, .. “well I hear a lot of guys do it, so I do it”. There has been a lot of good information presented in this thread, and some speculation, so hopefully more useful data/info will continue.

So what's your point?
What have you come up with on adding oil to the gas on a pro????
I see 4 pages of retarded posts and only a hand full that have facts to support what they are writing.
Lots of missing leading info.

Last edited:
D
I promise this will be my last post on this subject. However a simple Google search will provide data just like this cut and paste below. I am not stating it is true or fact. You have to make your own call and do your own research. It was stated adding a little oil to your tank would not hurt and I agree. To much oil will cause problems. Motors are designed to run on specific fuel/air/oil ratio's. If you go outside the parameters your on you own.
This article is talking about a jetted motor not injected. The principle is the same minus the motor being able to adjust to some degree. How the mixture gets into the cylinder doesn't really matter.

Google search info:
An internal combustion engine needs three things to operate: gasoline and air (compressed), and a spark. Optimizing the combustion is the tricky part. The spark must occur at exactly the right moment, and the gasoline/air mixture must be in the correct proportions. The ignition system takes care of the spark and its timing, and the carburetor supplies the volume and mixture of the gasoline/oxygen.

But there is one other very important aspect of combustion: cooling. Although the exterior of the engine will be cooled by either air or water, the inside also needs cooling, and this is particularly true with a 2-stroke. 2-strokes create more heat as they burn the gasoline/air--twice as much as a 4-stroke.

Cooling From Gasoline

The 2-stroke engine is cooled on the inside by the fresh (cold) charge of gasoline/air as it enters the cylinder--the principal cooling effect coming from the gasoline. The amount of gasoline entering the engine is controlled predominantly by the main jet. The size of the hole in the main jet restricts the amount of gasoline flowing. The bigger the hole, the more gasoline will pass through it.

More Oil Equals Less Gasoline

Increasing the jet size increases the flow rate, and vice versa. However, on 2-strokes, the amount of gasoline flowing will vary with the amount of oil added at the pre-mix stage (the oil and gasoline both must pass through the main jet). More oil passing through equates to less gasoline, which equals less cooling.

For instance, an engine running cool with say a pre-mix ratio of 32:1 will run hotter (greater chance of seizure) if more oil is added, by changing to 20:1. Therefore, it is correct to say that adding more oil to a pre-mix fueled 2-stroke will make the engine run in a leaner condition.

No Extra Oil for Posi-Lubrication Systems

Under no circumstances should pre-mix oil be added to the fuel tank of a positive lubrication system 2-stroke. For the reasons stated above, adding oil in this way will make the engine run hotter (leaner), which can lead to seizures.

Disclaimer: In no way am I trying to prove anyone wrong. I am only trying to provide supporting information for the comments I made earlier. If you disagree with me it OK. I would most likely still ride with you if you ask me to. :)

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska

theres lots of people on this forum who think i dont know crap...

but then again...these people think polaris did NOT know a 36 inch stance would make a mountain sled perform better...they say polaris had no idea...

think you can oil delete a pro

and think pistons are supposed to be perfect circles around and straight from top to bottom...

pick your side

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
The 12oz of oil in a tank is such a minute amount compared to the amount of fuel in the tank, you will not run dangerously lean by doing so otherwise POLARIS WOULD NOT BE TELLING PEOPLE TO ADD OIL TO THEIR BRAND NEW MACHINE's TANK.

Turn your oiler up or suffer the consquences. That's my advice. Everyone here has advice but I have torn down over a hundred of these motors, they are in the shop everyday getting rebuilt. People like AK IQ Pilot and the rest of us who have lots of real world experience would not lead you wrong, I promise...

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Google search info:

No Extra Oil for Posi-Lubrication Systems

Under no circumstances should pre-mix oil be added to the fuel tank of a positive lubrication system 2-stroke. For the reasons stated above, adding oil in this way will make the engine run hotter (leaner), which can lead to seizures.

I'll play...

Last year I started adding 1/2 oz Redline Synthetic to my fuel tank. I noticed a DROP in operating temps of about 5-8 deg on average. The added oil is not enough volume to effectively lean out the system but the added lubrication is enough to reduce ring friction. That was the only change I'd made. Don't believe it? Then why do the dealers insist on running NON synthetic in the tank for break-in? I'll tell you - because the higher friction of standard Polaris Blue oil creates more friction and the rings break in faster. Lower friction = less heat build. I'm not imagining it - there is physical science to back it up!

Have FUN!

G "oil in tank" MAN

Last edited:
Premium Features