• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BELT DRIVE DISCUSSION: PROS & CONS, COST/BENEFITS ... CHIME IN HERE.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Some good food for a rational discussion.

Belt drives, in the sled world or, now, in the snowbikes...are getting a lot of press.

Lots of folks jumping on the "Belt Drive Bandwagon" in the snow sport world long after the CMXDS was released...from OEM (Polaris) to the aftermarket.

We all seem to be assuming that belt-drives are "better"... but how and why seems to be a discussion that is more akin to a political debate than one of actual application in our machines.

Are belt-drives "better"?
I don't know... yet.
But it sure is a blank canvass in terms of a rational, application based, discussion.

But, like anything else in life... there are pro's and con's to belt-drives... by nature.

For me, IMO, on a snowbike...
Durability of a belt in a belt drive in normal use is not a question for me.... not with the relatively low horsepower of an MX bike.

On a sled... we've seen failures, and aftermarket offerings to help minimize these failures... plus redesigns from the factory and new belt designs....They keep evolving.

Polaris, the only OEM currently offering a belt-drive in their production sleds still uses a chain drive in many of their mountian-sled models. Even though a simple longer belt and tensioner would allow for more tooth engagement and slightly less weight... along with a standardization of parts (economy of scale)... All of their 3" track equipped models and the RMSHA inspired

Durability, or robustness, in the world of snowbikers on the mountain, in terms of impacts, is what will be proven this season in the consumers hands.

When it comes to Snowbikes... What is the width of a beltdrive equipped snowbike kit... as measured from the centerline of the track to the outside of the belt enclosure, and how does that compare to to a chaindrive. Will a belt drive be more susceptible to "hits" on the hill in a snowbike

On the AXYS-mtn sleds, the lower part of the drive hangs down pretty low on the chassis... protruding past the bellypan of the sled more than any previous year... Will this be the "Achilles Heel" of the design? Already, the aftermarket is making products to protect this area. Will this be more susceptible to "hits" on the hill in comparison to a fully shrouded chaindrive??

Also...I've watched the videos and listened to presentations on the topic of belt drives.
The term "efficiency" always seems to come up... I'm very familiar with this presentation in the sled world of the Polaris snowmobiles and their factory equipped sleds with belt drives... but that efficiency discussion never seems to make it into the realm of track dynos or vehicle specific testing.

...YET... but it will, I'M sure of it.

In a lot of literature I've read, including that from Synchronous belt drive mfgs like Gates... they refer to belt drives "approaching" or "equaling" chain drives.
This paper, from Gates, provides a lot of good ammo for discussion.
http://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...transmission/white-papers/roller-chain-wp.pdf

How does the Synchronous belt drive compare to a roller-chain... or a silent/HYVO chain in terms of efficiency?
Another good paper from Gates parts 1-5
http://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000198.pdf
http://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000199.pdf
http://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000200.pdf
http://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000201.pdf
http://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000202.pdf

I've heard numbers claimed like 5% more efficient, 30% more efficient, 50% more efficient.
  • What are these numbers in referring to?
  • Are those for industrial drives, Harley's, sleds, snowbikes??
  • How do those numbers apply to snow vehicles?
  • What is the real world outcome of this in our products?

If this efficiency does make a noticeable difference in a snowbike/sled what characteristics will be noted by the rider in a positive way and are those offset by other factors?

Does a synchronous belt drive get more power to the track than a chain-drive... in a Snowbike (or a sled) application?

Will characters that are "con's" for chains come into play with the drive speeds we are talking about (FPM)... and for what kind of chain, silent, HYVO, roller?

Does a Belt drive require a larger diameter top and bottom pulley to do the same work and not strip teeth (tooth engagement on the pulley)?

Weight is a big deal these days... Polaris used the QuickDrive™ to get the PRO's to really low production weight... but they don't use this drive system across the board... In fact they only use them on the Mountain sleds, and only certain models... the higher loaded 3" track option uses a chaindrive as do the RMSHA race inspired Assaults and the SKS... the chaindrive is more robust... but slightly heavier with chain, sprocket, cover and oil weight.

The aftermarket belt-drive systems are not as light as the OEM QuickDrive™ as they add weight with a tensioner and longer belt with denser pitch.

On a TS snowbike, a roller chain is used... and it does not require an oil bath..but does require some lubrication/tension periodic maintenance.

On sleds, proponents of belt-drives claim that the belt drive will suffer less damage from a broken belt than a chaindrive from a broken chain... and therefore not leave you stranded on the hill.

This, IMO, IS absolutely true...but, I've rarely even heard of a chain breaking that was properly maintained.... so that point would be better made in the statement that a belt drive will not require as much maintenance...even though that maintenance is low.

I have seen broken chains and the sometimes broken case that can accompany it... but not one of those that I've personally viewed was due to anything but lack of maint (old chain, wrong length chain, never adjusted, never changed dirty/wet oil, no oil, improper oil, leaking seal, too small of top sprocket, etc).. easily avoided. So, for me.... this is not an issue with proper maint.

Another topic of discussion is "Rotating mass"... which can be broken down into two categories... Gyroscopic effect... and Inertial effect.
What are the actual numbers relating to this? How does it affect our riding?

I've heard things like "1 lb of rotating mass equals X lbs of...."
Good for boasting, but that does not take into account the overall mass of a rotating assembly (eg driveshaft and sproket)... or the distance from the center of the rotating assembly...eg, 1lb with a diameter of 5X will have more Gyroscopic and inertial affect than the same weight at 1x diameter... this should be taken into consideration to form a more accurate evaluation of a system, IMO, rather than blanket "general" statements.

Weight, robustness, efficiency, cost, maintenance and integration into the vehicle are all things to consider.

All good topics of discussion.

Have at it

AND PLEASE... Keep it rational and factual and application based (snow powersports) .
If you make a claim that one was better than the other in direct comparison...we're all factors the same? (same exact gear ratio, clutching, fuel, state of tune, or any other mods made at the same time).

Last edited:
S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I have a hard time accepting the efficiency claims with the belt drives. Dry friction between "rubber" and metal should be higher than lubricated metal to metal friction.
By the way, A friend of mine converted his early Rotax 503 Snowhawk from belt to chain drive, (bike roller chain), and got a lot more power to the ground from that.....

The efficiency of a single stage chain gear is in the high 90% area, there is not much room to "create" a noticeable improvement regardless of what you put in its place.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I've seen no evidence yet, to support... yet... that the efficiency is better with a chain or with a belt.

The interesting thing for me was the verbiage in the Gates links above regarding chains:
GATES: http://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000202.pdf
Chain drives are 95-99% efficient (Poly Chain is 98-99% efficient).

GATES:http://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000199.pdf
"Hy-Vo chain is more efficient than silent chain, with manufacturers claiming efficiencies of around 99.7%."

Lets say that the efficiency is 97%...Would that mean a X% increase in efficiency was X% of the remaining 3%??

What is that efficiency related to and how is it defined?

This is where questions and rational discussions backed up with sources or test results come in handy... as well as "How does this translate into noticeable performance differences in my application?"

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Thats a given...

But... when we say more efficient...what are the actual numbers and what does that mean in terms of real world track-HP/Tq & Acceleration.

IMO, the acceleration discussion based on mass alone does not hold water... mass and relationship to center distance (true inertial forces) is where the discussion bears weight.

If a chaindrive system is 97% efficient... what does X% "more efficient" actually mean??

Is a HYVO-drive or a belt-drive ACTUALLY more efficient?

Last edited:
M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
IPT industrial trades handbook

belt advantages
  • belts require no lubrication
  • single belt drives will accept more misalignment than chain
  • belt drives cushion shock loads and load fluctuations
  • belts can slip under overload preventing mechanical damage to shafts or other parts

belt disadvantages
  • belts can be easily damaged by oil, grease, abrasives, chemicals and heat
  • belts can be noisy also loose or worn belts can be a major cause of machinery vibration

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
thxsandman ,

that papers summery is at the bottom ,,
basically rotating mass is worth 2 farts in the wind

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
just another marketing gimmick, to get so of us to rationalize a new sled purchase ..

in the same vein as flex edge tracks and tilting skids.. bng didn't make it .. how about some pixy dust and eye-catching technical buzzwords

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I don't believe that it's strictly some kind of marketing gimmick...

And rotating mass definitely can make a difference. The transitional speeds of the shafts (start/stop/start/stop) on a snow machine in technical terrain can be a consideration... especially compared to a trail ridden sled... and we need to discuss this with some facts behind it.

The point of this thread is to look at it in a more rational way.

I believe that the ITP source you are quoting is talking about V-belt drives rather than Synchronous toothed belt drives??

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I wonder why the belt drive makers have not posted any scientific evidence under controlled conditions to show a gain from chain to belt conversion. You would think if evidence with actual data was posted they could really sell a ton. Been sledding since 1984 and have never broken a chain.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I will chime in my opinion, and that's all this is is opinion. I have never once broke a chain on my Arctic Cats. Never not once in 20 plus years. I have rode a Polaris 2 times with a belt drive. The first time was its 2nd ride out and after 2 minutes on it I broke the belt. The next time I rode it was a year later when the sled had a super charger on it. Once again after about 30 seconds of me being on it I broke the belt. Neither time was I doing anything that should have caused any problem. Pretty much just going through a meadow. Now were both times just a fluke, or am I really hard on equipment? Probably both, but once again I have never broke a chain on an Arctic Cat.

My only other experience with belt drives was a conversation I had with the most dominant grass dragger the state of Utah has ever had. When belt drives were just becoming popular he said he got a belt drive for his open mod grass dragger. He said that he put it on and tested for weeks and no matter what he did his time was slower with the belt drive. He was measuring in the 100th of seconds so its not much but his opinion based on a carefully controlled environment yielded a decrease in performance even though he was the first to admit the belt drive system was lighter. So if its lighter the performance or efficiency is actually that much worse than a chain. Once again not my findings but what a top grass dragger told me. He said he had the belt drive in his shop and someone could have it if the wanted it because he had spent way to much time testing different combinations of everything to try to get it to work better than his chain set up but never did and took it off.

So I wont argue the belt drive will save you weight. I don't think it is as reliable as a chain, and doesn't perform as well though so is the weight savings worth it? IMHO:face-icon-small-hap

isaacmuller

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2014
The job of the belt or chain is to transfer energy from the drive to the driven. They both will transfer all the energy except what is lost in HEAT. Which drive will lose less HEAT. HEAT is energy.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Efficiently aside, for me it's still the durability factor. How many with a chaincase carry an extra chain and the tools to change it? How many with a belt drive carry an extra belt and the tools to change it?

For me that's the bottom line. I have a 12 pro with an avid drop case.

Premium Features