• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

internel vs external waste gate

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
So I'm looking at a turbo for my 14 summit x. Theres about a 500 dollar difference from the kit with an external gate vs the Internal gate. From what I've read the external kit seams to have a little smother power delivery vs a more on off type power band with the internal. Not to mention the flow difference between the two. So those who have road both styles of kits what do you prefer for mostly steep tree ridding and of course a hill climb from time to time. Will shot for about 10 lbs of boost and most likely 100ll av gas because i have easy access to it. Being summer i hope i can get one or two people with turbo experience to replay.

S
Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln MT
i have the silber external kit. looks awesome and runs amazing. got a low end studder to figure out but that is just clutching. 7 lbs 50/50 av/premium runs awesome pull and go every day. well actually push the starter button and go.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
internal wastegate will give a bit better throttle response in and out of the throttle in the trees and everyday riding. external is for the big boost guys who like the big shoots. Yes the external is smoother.
if you throw in a shaft speed sensor you can see the time to torque curve on the turbo. it is very different. with the external gate you have more volume that has to be filled with heat and gasses before you can send those gasses to your turbine wheel. making the time to torque longer. you can clutch the sled different but then guys say that trenching happens more. we sell 90% internal waste gate kits. only a few guys go the other way. just depends on what you like. wade through the hype and get the solid facts then make a decision on that not just hype. :face-icon-small-ton

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Ok so Ive pulled the trigger after hours of reading old threads on here. So my question now is I plan on running 7-10 lbs of boost. Some times i unload around 4500 feet but most play areas are above 5k locally and spend a fair bit of time in McCall. My plan is to mix 50 50 av gas 92 octane. Should i be fine with that mix? Then how much full do you burn on boost? I know I'm going to burn more and years past i could get 50 miles on a deep snow day pinned. What could i expect to see now?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
You burn more fuel on boost but you get more places faster.

Really dependent on your riding style, I know guys that burned tons of gas NA but then turbo and use less because its 1 pull up hills instead of multiple runs at it track poaching.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Silber. After reading about ever post about there kits on here for doo poo and cat I felt I would be happy with it. That and they sent me a pm with a discounted price so that I felt was more then fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
As far as fuel consumption, I swear they are better on fuel than naturally aspirated sleds. Heard lots of guys say this before I had mine and thought they were retarded. I honestly cant believe how good mine is on fuel. Honestly seems better than stockers. I havent been out in bottomless powder with it though.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
i also get about the same or better milage. my theory is because the clutching is so different and my trail rpm is much lower. i also click down and shockwave increase angle for trail and just put down the trail. no need for 6500rpm when 5000 rpm can get u to the goods just as well.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Hey so I got the turbo kit and read and reread the instructions they show heat tape on the intake tube between the turbo and the intake. The box had no heat tape in it the instructions say nothing about it and the packing list doesn't mention it. So was that just a pre production kit and they decide not to use it or should i pick some up this weekend before the install? Running the silber kit.

Premium Features