• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW PRODUCT: SPG (Skinz Protective Gear) AirLoc ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT RUNNING BOARDS

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
NOW...

Here is something that REALLY has caught my attention.

Skinz Protective Gear (SPG) has come up with a new running board system that allows you to adjust the height of the board AND allow the rider to move farther fwd on the sled.

Being a smaller rider, I've always been a bit envious of the taller guys that had more leverage over the sled and could put more "English" into it...

Being higher on the sled would allow me to have more leverage over the sled with the added benefit of not "high-siding" the running boards in the snow when it's deep..or on a good sidehill.

The AirLoc boards offer STOCK, +1" AND +2" running board height.

Polaris made a big stride forward in 2011 with the PRO-RMK when they narrowed up the front-cab of the sled... this narrower cab creates less resistance when driving through the snow.... and does not work against the rider, trying to pitch you downhill on a steep side hill... Known to many as "Panneling out"

These Boards would take that "Narrow-Cab" design evolution one step further...and leave less of the running board dragging in the snow on those sidehills... Plus give me more leverage to manipulate the sled with with less effort and and more endurance. (they really need to make these for the Yami Viper Riders too!!)

Yes it's expensive... and YES... I'm sure that we'll hear that some of you might be able to fab a copy of this in your garage using surplus metal for a $200 and sell them at a profit...:face-icon-small-dis
But the reality is that SPG spent a lot of time developing this... they have the intellectual strength to design it... the capital to put it into prototypes and test it with qualified riders like Dan and Chris and produce it for a distributor-level sales network. So...Hey... more power to them... they flat out make great products that continue to surprise and excite me... something not too common these days.

So to the the entire Hawksworth family and crew... my hat is off to you for this innovative product. :yo:

I'm confident that SPG will be selling lots of these.:phone:

<iframe width="1110" height="624" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/K4CU5WS29Ok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

737_SPG_AirLoc_Running_Boards_PAFRB200-AL-.jpg

737_SPG_AirLoc_Running_Boards_2_PAFRB200-AL-FBK.jpg

attachment.php

AirLoc Running Boards (Patent Pending)

• Integrated tunnel reinforcement.
  • Includes reinforcing plate in the toe hold where RMK’s are known for buckling.
  • 2” of vertical adjustment to accommodate any rider and/or riding style.
  • Vertical adjustment of running boards increases handling & control of machine.
  • Running boards are removable. Can easily be replaced if damaged.
  • Laminated tunnel wrap included to help reduce snow and ice buildup on sides of tunnel.
  • Structural, integrated design increases strength of tunnel dramatically.
  • Running boards are narrowed 1” to allow for technical riding styles.
  • Running boards are constructed with the new “Pro Tube” outer tube for extra strength and weight reduction.
  • New running board position allows additional 3-4” of forward movement in the foot well area.
  • Plastic body protrusions under side panels are removed and narrowed to allow better deep snow performance and a higher degree of technical & steep terrain riding capability.
  • Kits include everything needed for complete installation.

Attachments

• AirLoc.jpg
    AirLoc.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 2,624
Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
CB is gonna have to offer a CB adjustable riser now for his signature bars.

So, combining some of the old school advantages of a D&R and dropped skid with an adjustable rider position (boards, and, for some at least, bars). Another way to do it and create a product.

Innovation-wise, SPG is getting becoming more like CMX and once-upon-a-time FAST, without the sled builds. Hope they sell enough bread and butter products to keep funding the innovation - while the products aren't cheap, neither is the R&D to come up with them. Yeah, it's pricey and not for many that don't have lots of extra cash in the safe. Some are never gonna understand or accept the pricing on stuff like this, the lockout, the side panels, complete front ends, etc. This isn't just about the money for these guys - they can't be selling that many of these high dollar products to be earning much on them - its about their passion. We should all be so lucky to find that in what we do to earn our potatoes.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Cool idea... Although I wonder how far that money would get you if you wanted to "T3" a Pro? 2" taller spindles, drop the chaincase by 2" and 2" longer drop brackets. Get everything out of the snow instead of just the boards... Maybe all we have to do is wait till 16:noidea:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Even if they come with 2 inch longer drop bracket and taller spindles, for 16, these would still put the 16 that much ahead. I am sure there would be a line where you would get too top heavy and make them harder to ride, especially if you are tired. Also, don't forget about being able to get 3-4 inches farther ahead on the pro. As far as weight the new pro tube is supposedly 1 pound per side lighter so these shouldn' add any significant amount of weight compared to the old airframes. Airloc and Arc will be the two biggest things a person can do to their sled imo. Then a turbo or supercharger.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
The design is nice but at that cost I can't justify it. I believe retail was around $1500 a set.

With that said the other new set with the larger outside rail has caught my attention and will be on the next sled.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
If all follows current patterns, expect electrically adjustable running boards in a year or two, maybe even heated. Hope the madness never stops. Getting vibes from the new AXYS sled due soon.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
If all follows current patterns, expect electrically adjustable running boards in a year or two, maybe even heated. Hope the madness never stops. Getting vibes from the new AXYS sled due soon.

You guys call yourself Sledheads and then complain about the cost :israel:$$ Lol, You cant put a price sittin on top a mountain all alone,,

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
All it's gonna take is one guy with these in a group killing the steep and deep and his buddies will be chain sawing the stock boards off .

To bad progress is about as slow as molasses in January . The full length running board is pretty much useless on a ride forward mountain machine .

It needs to be taken to the next step and put a set of something like these behind the foot well to help eliminate the drag .

Attachments

• X001-Y003.jpg
    X001-Y003.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 432

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
All it's gonna take is one guy with these in a group killing the steep and deep and his buddies will be chain sawing the stock boards off .

To bad progress is about as slow as molasses in January . The full length running board is pretty much useless on a ride forward mountain machine .

It needs to be taken to the next step and put a set of something like these behind the foot well to help eliminate the drag .

Patrick_UHH.jpeg

Last edited:
G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Boards

Diamond S running boards are an excellent option, the price is fair. And you have the options for him to build 7 inch or 8 inch width and round or slotted traction. We have 4 sets on our pros. They are a no brainier even to the new 13 and 14 boars for pros. Have a set of skinz on our BB Doo which are better then stock but stil not as good as Diamond S boards.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Diamond S running boards are an excellent option, the price is fair. And you have the options for him to build 7 inch or 8 inch width and round or slotted traction. We have 4 sets on our pros. They are a no brainier even to the new 13 and 14 boars for pros. Have a set of skinz on our BB Doo which are better then stock but stil not as good as Diamond S boards.

I think you are missing the point of these. There is more to it then just traction. 7 or 8 wide is too wide imo.

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
At 5'5", I would love these, but, the price is just to high. BUT, a fricken awesome idea, and big props to Skinz for thinking out of the box!

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Question?

I wonder what the limits of this set up are with a coupled suspension? When I installed my timbersled skid they were very specific in noting that any aftermarket boards get attached directly to the horizontal portion of the drop brackets. This tells me there is a good bit of axial load distributed through the boards into the chassis. With the board raised there is no longer a direct load path and the bolts shown in the picture are in bending rather than shear. Perhaps the full length tunnel brace allows for the vertical portion of the bracket to pick up the slack? Just a couple things I would like a bit more explanation on before considering purchase. This load case would also apply to the one who occasionally lands on their rear axel.

Premium Features