• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW PRODUCT: SPG (Skinz Protective Gear) ELECTRONIC REMOTE COUPLED REAR SUSPENSION

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
So I just got a email from Tammy at SPG saying she would jake to email me about upgrading to the electronic version from the cable one. I'll keep u posted once I hear from him

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
Response from jake

That's a really good question, quite a few people have been asking that. The
kits are so different that it does not make sense to upgrade.

The electronic ARC uses a different shock that has the electronic actuator
built into it, so the shock cannot be upgraded. The new switch/battery
system/wiring would also have to be purchased. We also made a new scissor
and rear mount to allow clearance for the electronics mounted to the shock,
so by the time you have everything you need, its just about the whole kit.

Both systems function identical within the rear suspension, the electronic
will be faster and easier to use but doesn't change the way ARC works. Some
riders prefer the cable system just because of the lever design.

scootdog

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2011
SF Bay Area Now, Tahoe soon
I ride mountain bikes so I'm familiar with the switch adjust on Fox shocks. For me $1000 is pretty steep to just add electronics.

When I'm biking and go from downhill to uphill. I have adjust seat post, fork, & shock. Three different levers. It only takes a few seconds and that is reaching down to the frame of my bike, only one is bar mounted.

The cable I believe well stand up to abuse better and if the cable fails you can manually flick lever on shock. With electronics I'm imagine if you have a fail you are done. Plus there is alot of ice and snow to screw it up.

That video is pretty awesome how you can see the dramatic difference the coupling changes suspension.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Would this setup be beneficial for a stock sled or is this something that would only be needed in high horsepower applications to keep the front end down?

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I am riding a full kmod w raptor shocks right now and absolutely love the suspension. It's great from the whooped out trail to the hills,to like this video shows, coupling and being able to have better control of the sled while in the steep trees or a steep chute. There is a huge advantage with having a coupled suspension.

I think this is a very good, well thought, and simple way to get a coupled suspension. I have a couple questions about it also.

1) Do you have to run any extra tunnel supports with the a.r.c. system? When I did my first coupled suspension (timbersled) I was told to run tunnel
Stiffners or the tunnel would bend for sure.

2) I have noticed a huge difference with my kmod as far as running up the whooped out trail to get to the hills. I am sure some of that has to do with the design of the skid and well as the raptor shocks.

Are there any advantages with the a.r.c as far as a better ride up the trails or would that come more with just buying better shocks?

Again think this is a great idea. If I didn't have a kmod I would for sure be trying this system.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
1) Do you have to run any extra tunnel supports with the a.r.c. system? When I did my first coupled suspension (timbersled) I was told to run tunnel
Stiffners or the tunnel would bend for sure.

There is not a stock mountain snowmobile made that doesn't need tunnel bracing to run a coupled suspension. You might be okay for a while, but eventually something will bend. The load inputs from a coupled suspension are vastly different from an uncoupled sled, especially at the rear pads, the tunnels just aren't designed for it.

P

polarcat39

Nov 16, 2013
Wyoming
For 92 percent of riders (like myself), I highly doubt this will help me be a better rider.

(that doesn't mean I don't think it's cool though)

Interesting note: that electric actuator looks to be built by TOLOMATIC out of Minnesota.

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
Well about a month ago i ordered the cable version arc threw wps. I have it fully installed. Iy was super easy and smooth imstalation, plus i already had the skid out so i could install my ce 2.5. Cant wait to try ot this year,running turbo so should be a great tool.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I just got off of the phone after a 45 min convo with SPG...

The mechanical ARC is about $1200

The Electronic ARC Has an MSRP of $2250 and will have limited availability for the 2014/15 season.

These both will be avail through WPS network or other SPG dealers.

Availability is Early november.

SPG is actually getting the newest version of the iCD shock BEFORE the mountain bike world sees it in production.

I'm working on getting more information and photos.

fox sells the system (fork, shock, electronics, battery, and charger) for around $2000 for mountain bikes, thoes little welded arms worth more than a electronic fox fork ? doubtful. I really like skinz stuff but their prices wow.

polaris factory arm that the skinz one replaces is $84. http://www.gearhead.com/polaris-1542906-329.html#/s/POL//1542906-329/1 so you could say same price for the rear skinz one the shock mounts to.

so.....$160-180 for the brackets and the you can get the mechanical shock for $450-500 from a store, wholesale less.... so your in maybe..... $600-700? so the mark up on the mechanical ones 100% minimum....

Last edited:
P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
Hay northmnsledder you will have to take the arc shock off and cut the zip ties on the rail and just tie the shock to the handlebars then the skid can come out, then the track will slide out .pretty easy

Premium Features