• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

84 Phazer

mckinney

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Evans, Co
I have an 84 Phazer and only spark on one cylinder. Could it be the CDI coil if only runs on one cylinder? I can pull the plug wire when running and no difference if I pull the other it dies. I hear stator does things also but the coil has 1 input wire and 2 plug wires so I am thinking it is coil. Please correct me if I am wrong trying to take the kids up next monday.

mckinney

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Polaris fires the plug at both top and bottom of the piston stroke. If Yamaha did that too, you could swap plug wires to the other plug and see if you pick up the other cylinder instead. If this doesn't work, then maybe you have some other issue besides spark. Could likely be the coil though.

mckinney

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Evans, Co
Should have tried that. When I pulled both the bad one didn't make a change. They must fire both at same time as the input to the coil is 1 wire. Ordered new hopefully it fixes it.

mckinney

mckinney

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Evans, Co
Yes I bought another cap cause I thought it was bad. Had spark to the wire when I tried changing cap but must not have been good enough (it bit me). How would I check the coil? I can get resistance from the input to the ground lug but open on the 2 plug wires to the ground lug which doesnt make sense cause it fires on the clutch side. I am going to try and cut the wire back further and screw the new cap on again tomorrow afternoon.

mckinney

Premium Features