• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

chaincase question

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I am working on my boys 96 phazer II and just got done installing 7 tooth drivers and an 1 1/2 track. my question is on the bottom gear on the drive shaft is it supposed to float on the shaft. I have the spacer behind it that goes between the bearing and gear. I have taken probably 100 chaincases apart and have never seen this. I did not pay any attention when I took it apart but it had to be that way previously. The idler bearing is fully seated on the other end of the shaft so the shaft is in place and where it needs to be. I even looked at a parts fiche to make sure nothing is missing and verified that everything is there that needs to be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Nick

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Been far too long since I had a phazer apart so not sure about the floating bottom gear. What you need to do is put a straight edge on the face of gears and see if they are lined up. You can shim the bottom gear in or out if needed.
also make sure the set screws on your speedo drive side driveshaft bearing are backed out all the way and the driveshaft is sliding thru it and not hanging up. Tighten set screws after lower gear has been bolted in and torqued.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I already put a straight edge on it and the gears are in line when the bottom gear is pushed back against the spacer. On the speedo side it don't have the bearing with set screws, it is a regular sealed roller bearing and pushes on the shaft up to a shoulder and then a nut and spring washer holds it on. Still seems to be unconventional having the bottom gear float but maybe that is going to be the way it is, I just need to get this thing done.

Thanks for the input
Nick

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Thanks ramman, I figured it was. I could see no other way unless the shaft was the wrong one and to long. I know all the polaris stuff i'm used to working on it does not float. The last yamaha I owned before I bought this phazer for my son was a 98 mountain max, but never got in the chaincase.

Premium Features