• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys sidekick owners opinions

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I would like to hear from sidekick owners. Have u had any issues? Has it ran day in day out? Basically has it been as pull and go as a stock sled ( but with more power of course)? Also how many miles do u have on your sled with the kit?

I don't want opinions on anybody else's kits just sidekick axys owners. Thanks

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I would like to hear from sidekick owners. Have u had any issues? Has it ran day in day out? Basically has it been as pull and go as a stock sled ( but with more power of course)? Also how many miles do u have on your sled with the kit?

I have the same question but would like to here from all kit owners.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I have a bunch of buddies with them. They all have anywhere from 500-700 miles ball park.

I am of the school no turbo is pull and go. I don't even think stock sleds are pull and go, if you want them to perform properly.

Most of the guys that have them have not had a turbo before or have always said they will not have one. They have all been very impressed, to say the least. One made the comment I can't believe the bottom end. It's right there everytime I am On and off the throttle.

I have only heard one person jump on and say anything negative. He thought the bottom end could be better. He has a piped, ported motor though.

They have resolved the air box issues.

I think the clutching could use some work. They carry a lot of heat. I have heard some comments that it's a turbo. My opinion is that's not acceptable. A little clutching work will cure the clutch heat problems. If you need help with that, I have some pretty solid set up info.

Non of them have had DET issues. A few have just started utilizing the 2lb switch.

I think it's a solid set up that just needs a little refinement.

Last edited:

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
thanks yeah sleds need maintenance .
and turbos need 2-3 times a stocker
the lower boost may help with the rapid part wear :face-icon-small-win
some of that comes down to personal preference some folks are happy to ride and leave performance and consistency on the table / some not

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
To me the maintanence doesn't change much, turbo or NA. Still changing clutch springs, fuel filter, cleaning power valves and the list goes on every year.

The one I didn't realize was how quick weight bushings wear out.

Anyway.... Back to topic for Edgey.

I think there may be a kit with a little better throttle response or makes more big end per lb. The simplicity and results are tough to beat.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Love mine. 500 miles on it. My airbox cracked but Boondocker shipped me a new one overnight. My clutching has been pretty good I feel. I'm very happy with my sled and the sidekick. I highly recommend it. It's been pull and go! I'm going to add some vents and keep riding the sh$t out of it. Oh and the throttle response is awesome it's very crisp. Maybe I just got a great kit because I have no complaints.

Last edited:

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Any noticeable lag at the bottom end?

No I haven't notice any. I ride a lot of trees and ravines so you need that bottom end to be there. Like I said I've absolutely been blown Away with this kit and I'm so happy I purchased it!

Z

Zone28M7

Sep 28, 2009
Louviers, CO

I've been running for about 400 miles now. Couldn't have asked for a better setup. Truly pull and go. Not one issue. Took some time to get the clutching exactly how I want it but as far as the turbo itself, no complaints. Plenty of power, reliable, no tuning, no race gas, no hiccups. Only complaint would be the amount of primary springs me and others are going thru. I'm on my third spring. Other than that, flawless.
0331195624cf5ccb4ce15afa775be35e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Z

Zone28M7

Sep 28, 2009
Louviers, CO
And I'm also running the 2 lb switch from day one. And also since I fine tuned my clutching I've had no springs break. Next step is some vohk tuning. He punches in his own numbers and his own clutching to maximize what this kit is capable of. Makes a huge difference from what I've heard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

HCR10

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2011
Draper UT
www.comfortchampions.com
I have had one sense day one and it has 780 miles completely pull and go and I thought the clutching was great but I have made some changes for my personal type of riding cutler adjustable weights. I also have another one still with the boondocker setup that I had a problem with ended up having to replace the box but I sent it in and they had me a new one the next day great customer service. I would recommend this kit to anyone my wife rides it on the roads with are 3 year old at low speed for at least 200 miles now and it still has no problems and that says a lot about a turbo. BUY ONE AND YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

jcb

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2004
Where there is snow
VERY UNHAPPY

VERY UNHAPPY. CANT SEEM TO FIND ANYONE TO FIX MY PROBLEM. I HAVE AN 18K SLED THAT SAT ALL WINTER.

I have a Axys with a Boondocker Sidekick turbo that when put under load and high throttle will go into limp mode and say Maximum detination detected PTO and Mag every single time. Boondocker cant seem to figure it out and Alpine cant figure it out. Dose anyone have this problem or know someone that has? Any help would be great. Thank you!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
VERY UNHAPPY. CANT SEEM TO FIND ANYONE TO FIX MY PROBLEM. I HAVE AN 18K SLED THAT SAT ALL WINTER.

I have a Axys with a Boondocker Sidekick turbo that when put under load and high throttle will go into limp mode and say Maximum detination detected PTO and Mag every single time. Boondocker cant seem to figure it out and Alpine cant figure it out. Dose anyone have this problem or know someone that has? Any help would be great. Thank you!

Please share more about what they've checked.
What is the code that it throws?

P

pharmboy1021

Jun 19, 2008
American Falls, ID
I've had my sidekick on for 500 miles and have very little issues, broken primary spring and had the tps sensor recalibrated, other than that no issues! I would say the bottom end is comparable to stock so very little lag, very manageable power. You won't be disappointed it's amazing how these things run and how reliable they are.

m7extreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
I've had my sidekick on for 500 miles and have very little issues, broken primary spring and had the tps sensor recalibrated, other than that no issues! I would say the bottom end is comparable to stock so very little lag, very manageable power. You won't be disappointed it's amazing how these things run and how reliable they are.

Both of them problems you listed I had on my stock sled this year. I hope them are the only problems I have on my 17 with a sidekick!

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
Anyone hit 1500 to 2000 miles with boost yet? My stock engine had 90psi compression at the 1800 mile mark. Rings were shot but pistons were still good.

Premium Features