• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MM chassis swap

C
Sep 23, 2011
Durango, Co
Hey Folks, I got a 01' MM chassis over Christmas for $50 from a reputable sled parting operation. After I have independently verified its a good chassis ( I trust these guys, but never can be too safe)I would like to swap my good parts into this good chassis. I currently have a 99' vintage sled with a damaged tunnel. I'm wondering what I would need to swap these. I know I would obviously need a longer track, but from a limited amount of research I've done most everything else should transfer over directly, including the skid. I plan on upgrading the drive shaft and going to anti ratchet drivers, as well as going beyond the 141" track, probably between 144-low 150" challenger. I also plan on building some trailing arms similar to the ones MPI has to offer. Has anybody else done something like this? What did you find? Thanks for any info you guys have, Brian

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Everything will swap over but the rear skid. You can relocate the mounting points of your arms to your rails to get the 2000 and newer geometry. Find someone with a 2000+ that will let you take some measurements. The 97-99 136 rails are actually longer than the 2000+ 141 rails due to the 136 skid being mounted much farther forward so you need to go 144 or longer on track length when using the old style rails.
If you want to make it real easy just buy a set of 2000+ 141 rails. then there really isn't any drilling or measuring to be done.
Also you can use your old front W arm but the 2000+ H arm is stronger

B
Jan 26, 2013
Your going to have to swap the harness over too since your old sled is a single bulb and the 01 is the high output 300w dual bulb. You may be able to pick up a 300w magneto/stator from a newer 700 redhead to make your engine plug and play into the new chassis. That would leave you with a better outcome in the end, but might be a little more involved with cost and labor.

C
Sep 23, 2011
Durango, Co
I will be switching everything over from the 99 so I'm not going to need to change out the stator. Basically it'll be a 99 in a 01 chassis with a longer track. I'm more concerned about the skid I suppose, If I put the 99 skid in would I just measure the outer diameter of the drives to the rear axle and upper supports and get a good length? Thanks for the responses guys, It'll be a good help for my project next summer.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
When I pull dimensions I pull from the drive shaft not the drivers. If you have 8 tooth drivers in one and 9 tooth in the other the dimensions will be wrong.

Premium Features