• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some advice on mods for 01 800 rmk

A
Nov 29, 2007
I ride a 01 800 rmk and I am wondering what all you mod guys can tell me to get a more power out of it with out going hog wild with money.

H
Dec 5, 2006
Pendleton, Oregon
I have an the same sled with 3700 miles and 151.
V-Force 3 reeds, PSI single pipe, boost bottle, gutted airbox. Just put Fabcraft 2" steering post, 2" powermadd bar riser, 4" Fabrcraft riser bars. I feel comfortable saying my sled flat out rips. Clutching is very important. I dont know squat about clutching, so I had a guy so some for me, what he did I couldnt tell you but it feels better then before.

Austin

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Gutted air box.
V-force 3 reeds
SLP air horn
SLP single pipe and can
Clutching as follows worked great at 7k+ft
primary
10-58 weights, almond spring
secondary
stock helix, silver spring in the number 2 hole
Gearing.
19/42

This setup works great at elevation. Will increase throttle responce and give you about 10-13 more hp to play with.

This sled also reacts well to nitrous.

M
Mar 16, 2004
Minnesota
I believe that Snowtech magazine did an article on this exact thing - what is best for an 800 Polaris motor - call them or email them, and they hooked me up with what they suggested but by my recollection the items were:

SLP Flow Rites (2-2")
SLP High Flow Intake
SLP single pipe with can
Boyesen RAD valves (or equivalent, choose your brand)

Make the required clutching and jetting changes and you're good to go.

If I remember right, these mods were around $800-$1200 or so, and they were good for about a 20 HP gain. These were tested by Snowtech magazine, and supposedly the mods were very forgiving for elevation and temp changes.

Again, call or email Snowtech, and they can either tell you, or can hook you up with an archived magazine article that specifically outlines what they did.

Also, SLP can provide tuning recommendations for this exact setup.

Good luck!

T
Dec 1, 2007
Mt. Pleasant UT
Here you go! we just finished the exact sled and it rips like no other. an slp single pipe and can, v force 3, gut the air box completly, i bored the carbs but thats not necessary. then here is the secret. we milled the heads 75 thousanths off the face and then we cut the squish band down 75 thousandths back to stock tolerance. i put an AC secondary. if you want more details pm me. it will beat just about any 8 on the hill

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
These guy's speak with experience, I have done what Ollie suggested without the clutching changes and my 01 sno check rock's. I may have to try the clutching he suggested next, but my wife loves it the way it is so.......................:beer;

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
If it still has the stock steering post, that is the first thing you need to replace. It will bend like one of those foam noodles. PM wildchild on here and have him make you one of his super strong chromoly posts. Get the Edge top support option. He will make it whatever length you need for your height. 3" is about the max you can go without lengthing cables, hoses, and wires. Have him tip it forward. Then the rise will go straight up, instead of moving the bars back. The single best mod you can do for a Gen II RMK.

After that, Ollie has a pretty good setup. The reeds should be the last motor mod you do. They will help throttle response mainly. A RKT head custom made for your elevation will cost about the same and do more good. 19/42 gearing works good, but is a very tight fit in the chaincase. The 42 tooth will scratch the bottom of the case. 19/40 works good, without the clearance issues. I disagree a little on the clutching. A Polaris orange/blue or SLP yellow/purple with the stock R-8 helix will lessen belt slip and should allow you pull 10-62s with an almond spring up to 10k feet.

Last edited:
Premium Features