• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Summit sport 600 or sp

P
Nov 14, 2014
Looking into possibly buying a new sled. My old sled was a 2004 skidoo summit 800 151. For reference I am 5'8 140 pounds and still a beginner to intermediate rider. Anyways I sold the summit as I thought I would be getting out of the sport since me and my brother weren't going to have the same days off. Anyways now we will. He just got a brand new 2015 summit so 800 163. I am currently looking at a 2015 summit sport 600 that I can get for $6,550 otd( that includes tax and all fees) with a one year warranty or I can pay just under $7,500 otd with a 3 year warranty. How are those prices? My other option would be to drive to Oregon from Colorado to get a sp600 154 for 7500 otd with a one year warranty. All the shops in Colorado still want $8,500 plus tax Ect or even more for the sp. What sled would you choose? Also what would the resale value of the sport be in say 3 years with 3k miles? Also is it worth the $900 for the 3 year warranty vs the one year on the sport? The main reason I am even considering a new sled is because these prices seem very good verses used and I always worry when it comes to used sleds and the motor going out. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
The 2015 summit sport 600 for $6,550 otd sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Extra warrantees are a gamble that may or may not pay off. I don't usually buy them because they have never paid off for me and I realized if I just save the money I can afford to fix the occasional issue and still be ahead, but some people have the opposite experience.

I try to take care of stuff and usually have pretty good luck I guess, plus I can fix most little problems myself easier, faster, and cheaper than hauling something into a dealer. But not everyone can, and then if there is an expensive issue it will cost me a lot more, but I'm willing to take that gamble. Not everyone is willing though. I think you need to think about your past experiences and just make the best guess you can about whether or not the extra warrantee is worth it to you.

P
Nov 14, 2014
Seems like a good price to me on a new snowmobile. I know it's not the sp. I have always had sleds in the mid 2000's and didn't ever had issues but never kept one to long, but I was always worried about them breaking, that is one thing pushing me towards a brand new one. Seems like everything I have read makes it sound like that 600 is a reliable motor? If the motor or anything was a lemon from the factory do you think it would break or go out in the first year?

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
There are certainly issue that show up under a year, but age and more use bring issues on latter rather than sooner in my opinion. If you couldn't afford to replace an engine latter, but can afford the extra $900 now or if a warrantee gives you peace of mind then it's probably a good deal for you, you know that it will only cost you the price of the warrantee plus whatever it costs to haul it in and you should be good for 3 years.

If you could afford to replace the engine latter if needed but believe there is little chance you would actually need to, then skipping the extra warrantee could pay off.

The engine is really good on average, but certainly not 100% bullet proof so there is always a chance of issues arising. Like all insurance and warrantees, it is all great when you use them, but an added expense when you don't. There is no possible way I can say either way if you will need the warrantee, if I was that smart I could make a lot of money betting on games and races.

P
Nov 14, 2014
I was reading online that it looks like you can buy the extended warranty anytime during the first year before the warranty runs out? Is that correct? If that's the case I will just hold off on the extended for now

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
On that machine I would not spend the extra money on the warranty. I have literally ran probably close to 50 of that machine over the last 9 years (I currently have 10) and put 3000-6000 miles on each one without a single engine failure! Most dependable 2 stroke I have ran. Period. Price is great. Well below my fleet pricing. Run a good oil and non ethanol fuel and you will have an excellent and dependable machine. If you ride hard and really get aggressive, within a year or two you will want to upgrade to an 800, but it may be a good fit for you for the next year or two.

P
Nov 14, 2014
So got the sled Tuesday otd with a cover for $6,700. They dealer didn't tell me much about the break in so what's the procedure for this motor? Also got a gallon of oil and the recommended the full synthetic is that correct? The oil reservoir is full right now from the dealer not sure what they put in it.

Premium Features