• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015/16 Snowy Range snow conditions

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
If you have been up in this area and have information if its good or bad be sure and post. The more posts will reflect more accurate information. Good news is it looks like it is starting out great!

*Please keep updates in these threads since they will be a sticky..and we wont have a bunch of scattered updates*

***Post Pics helps alot!****

Here is a link to the Wyoming webcam page for all who dont already have it.
http://dayweather.com/keystone/weathertext.html

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
Went over to ryan park about noon to help a buddy with some firewood, and there were 3 atvs in lake marie parking lot. Came back late afternoon and it was very obvious, either they didn't know, or didn't care of what they were doing.

I'm not a fan of getting on here and preaching about what to do or not, but that was just fkn stupid!

**** like that is nothing but ammo!

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
What are you getting at? What were they doing that made them look like azzes? Just curious - I think the more clear you are the better. That way, potential perps may think twice when they head up the mountain!

N

nfinit100

Oct 1, 2015
Northern CO
i'll try and swing up sunday morning. Snotel is showing about half a foot at brooklyn lake. The medicine bow snotel jumped to 26" in the last several hours. Looks like they added about a foot overnight. Guessing some windloading involved. But i'll take it.

jokerman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Wy.
Supposed to be closing road due to winter like conditions!! Hahahaha ya think, 4"-6" new up top !!!! Let's hope it's closed for the season:biggrin1: but there web sight still has it open no unnecessary travel

Last edited:

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Ran up after work.

plows were running and the gate was open

Unloaded at headquarters park had to punch in pretty hard a few times to get off the road ..... 18-20 on the road into twin . Wind blown to dirt in some spots and 4ft drifts in others.

Drove by lake Marie. Looks like 12-18 there

Took the new poo for a little road ride. I won't be back till we get more. It was nice to squeeze a throttle tho

20151106_171111.jpg 20151106_164731.jpg 20151106_165432.jpg 20151106_170438.jpg

Last edited:

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
I lied

Sooo I ran up again this morning couldn't resist a bluebird day and the Sled was still in the truck.

snow packed up a little overnight (or maybe I was excited last night and overestimated ) there is 12-18 on the road at headquarters park a little more where the Sun doesn't shine.

skipped off a couple of rocks but all in all definitely good for road riding and breaking In a new motor

I wouldn't venture off the trail there are lots and lots of landmines

20151107_083641.jpg

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Also got out today. 30" + in some areas. Good start. Almost glad we couldnt ride off roads yet cause there are lots of landmines out there. Snow was pretty light. One meadow we saw was very tempting though!

20151107_113022_zpsafk0z8mj.jpg

20151107_112712_zpsukhlnhcz.jpg

20151107_122944_zpsybnflfkt.jpg

recreationist

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Laramie, WY
Ride smart: Remember the USFS winter travel rules please

Hi All,
Thanks for the great pics. Hopefully the snow continues to build fast.

Don't forget, the USFS rules in the Med Bow. No off trail until November 15 and 12" or sufficient snow to protect the resource between 11/15 & 6/1. Let's ride smart and respect our access. USFS Rule Clicky: stelprdb5440749.pdf

None of us wants more restrictions. Just this week the local FS proposed actions in the Pole Mountain area that will permanently close a number of great OHV routes.

Thanks and enjoy the break in rides.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Snow looks great. How are those new Axys chassis and motor? And what did you ride before?

Past 5 years I had a 10 m8, 12 PC, 12 pro rmk, 14 PC, 15 PC. New axys motor is legit. Finally real 800 power again from Poo. Great mid range. Pulled 8250. Put 20 miles on Fri in CO, and 22 mi yesterday in Snowies. Pulls as good as a cat 800 now. Just hope it holds up the same.

Overall the axys feels great. Still gets snow buildup on the back of the boards and top of the tunnel. Short cooler like cat has would help that. I think the boards need better traction. Guess im used to traction screws like on airframes. I bought the $400 upgrade for the clicker shocks. They suck just like all other walkers ive ridden. First couple inches of travel is soft, then it's like it hits a brick wall even with a couple inches left of travel. Even with 0 clicks on the resy. Front ski shocks felt much worse than the rear. Makes it not pull a ski up off the ground with as much control as a properly valved set of shocks. I'm putting burandt fox QS3 shocks on. Ive had Toms revalved evol r's on my past two sleds. Very impressed with how they felt. Had Raptors on my 12 rmk, but the new fox valving and tech is so good now that I dont want to go with coil shocks.

Last edited:

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
I'll echo what everyone else has said. The snow was very variable/localized. Began by going out FS 103, it got really deep as you went north. However, as anyone thats but up this road in the summer knows the rocks (in the road) also get much bigger as you head north. We were still bouncing rocks even with 30" of snow, and the hills were much less than desirable. Not a great place for an early season road ride. Then we loaded up and drove out sand lake road, our normal early season road ride location. Was very surprised with the lack of snow up there compared to the other side, but was better the further north. It seems a strong cell just dumped right behind the peaks for a few hours. It's a great start to hopefully a great season!

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_4611.jpg

N

nfinit100

Oct 1, 2015
Northern CO
drove up 130 this weekend to see what it looked like. Didn't go north where it seems most of the snow settled from the last storm. Not much up there. Around Lake Marie there were skin tracks and boot pack but wouldn't want to take a sled up yet.

Attached a few images.

From what I can tell, the snotel sites are telling similar stories, which is the conditions vary greatly across the range. 20" of snow with 40" rocks. Another storm coming should put another decent coating this week.

Was good to drive through those mountains though.

Lake Marie.JPG 130 looking towards Sugarloaf.JPG Mirror Lake.JPG

PC800SP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2011
Harlan, Iowa
Bring on the SNOW!!

.WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON
MST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHEYENNE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND WIND...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS
EVENING TO NOON MST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER
IN EFFECT.

* TIMING...LIGHT RAIN AND SNOW WILL CHANGE TO SNOW EARLY THIS
EVENING AND INCREASE IN INTENSITY TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL BE
HEAVY AT TIMES. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF WEDNESDAY.

* TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 13 INCHES SNOWY AND SIERRA MADRE
RANGES...WITH 4 TO 8 INCHES SOUTH LARAMIE RANGE AND FOOTHILLS...
LARAMIE VALLEY AND NORTH SNOWY RANGE FOOTHILLS.
:bounce::bounce:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
As far as parking goes there are a few turn offs as you go. There's a spot by the turn off to the road that goes up toward twin lakes. They closed 130 today but they weren't sure if it would be for the winter or not.

Premium Features