• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bleeding Brakes

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
I installed a handlebar riser on my sled this summer and needed to buy a brake line extension. I am going to bleed the brakes in two weeks, but have never done it before. Can anyone fill me in on the best way to do this? Tips and tricks? Thank you.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
I did the same thing to my 900. I just bled them like a car. Crack bleeder screw down with brakes, tighten bleeder screw, up with brakes. keep doing this tell you have filtered out all the old fluid and air. My brakes are "high and tight"...

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Brett,

Take off the top of the brake fluid reservoir on the handle bars, fill it pretty full.

Then go to the top of the brake caliper. There is a small grease zerk looking bolt that is the bleeder screw. Open that just slightly. Brake fluid should start oozing out. Attaching a 1/4" hose and a drain pan will help with the mess.

Now slowly squeeze the brake lever several times to pump the brake fluid through. Release very slowly too. (or tighten bleeder screw, then release)

Once you are certain that there is no air in the line, close the bleeder screw.

Refill the brake fluid to the correct level.

If you squeeze your brake and it feels solid, there is no air in the line and you are good to go. Otherwise repeat.

This is a lot easier with a "power bleeder" which is an air pump that forces the fluid through. No need to buy one just for sleds.

PM me if you have any questions.

You can get a large syringe and put a hose on it, place the other end on the bleeder. Lossen bleeder and slowly pull on the syringe, it will suck out the air and the old fluid. Make sure not to let the reservoir go empty. Tighten bleeder, top off reservoir, your good to go.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Brett,

Take off the top of the brake fluid reservoir on the handle bars, fill it pretty full.

Then go to the top of the brake caliper. There is a small grease zerk looking bolt that is the bleeder screw. Open that just slightly. Brake fluid should start oozing out. Attaching a 1/4" hose and a drain pan will help with the mess.

Now slowly squeeze the brake lever several times to pump the brake fluid through. Release very slowly too. (or tighten bleeder screw, then release)

Once you are certain that there is no air in the line, close the bleeder screw.

Refill the brake fluid to the correct level.

If you squeeze your brake and it feels solid, there is no air in the line and you are good to go. Otherwise repeat.

This is a lot easier with a "power bleeder" which is an air pump that forces the fluid through. No need to buy one just for sleds.

PM me if you have any questions.

I always hold the hose up to the reservior and just pumpt the brake lever until there are no more air bubbles, then tighten the bleeder. Only takes about a minute and you don't loose any break fluid. You want the hose above the bleeder screw anyway, that way you do not draw air back in as you pump.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Big syringe (Or turkey baster) makes it pretty easy.

When I did mine on the KTM, I had a longish (~2ft) chunk of tubing and pressed it over the bleeder screw. Crack that open enough so fluid can come out.

Open the reservoir, keep it topped off; then squeeze the brakes, cover the tube with your thumb, release brakes, release thumb, etc.

Premium Features