• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To do or not

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Is your goal to have a turbo sled or a stock sled?

If turbo - buy a kit for what you've got. Probably should plan on a piston kit to go with it if the sled has some miles on it.

If you want a stock sled....well, snowcheck is over anyway. I would wait till there's some snow and try to ride both a new Pro and a T3. Pick whichever you like best.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
How/where do you ride? That should be your main metric.

The 174 should be a beast in bottomless powder or on big point-n-shoots, but not as versatile as the Pro, especially since you've already logged seat time and are familiar with it.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Can't speak for the turbo personally, but think Jaynelson hit the nail on the head. Going to be an interesting year. The T3 buyers are sure confident. A friend ordered a 163 T3. I went with a Pro.

B

boondocker155

Sep 5, 2013
turbos are mean in the trees! i stole my dads turbo pro 155 a bunch. never left the trees once. It will give you a whole new way to find lines that arent possible on a stocker. I love playin on the turbo. A 174 is is roughly 19 inches too long ;) seriously though, thats a lot of track. Not near as playful as a 55. thats my 2 cents

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I guess the way you asked I would say neither. I am not trying to be a jerk but if you had rode them both you would know what you like or dislike and weight it out with things such as where you ride or the way you ride and be able to decide for yourself. Ask people their likes and dislikes about a sled or product but take it with a grain of salt. Never let anybody, who you don't know or know how they ride, pick a sled for you. Brand loyal guys will pick a sled for you every time. I have had turboed pros and I have a t3 174 coming for my wife. I don't care for a t3 174 but for her it is a win win in my book. She doesn't jump. She doesn't crank them around hard or really sharp. She hates coming down hills fast. She is always worried about getting stuck and what people will think that have to help her. She is always worried about climbing up a big hill when following. She does not go fast enough, through the trees, for a 155 sled. The doo steers easier and the throttle is less stiff. I believe it will make it more fun for her. I also believe it and the turbo cheat people out of learning to ride but in this case the positives out weight the negatives. Those are the reasons I am getting it for her. You need to decide the reasons that you need one or the other for your self.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
The only trouble in the trees with a turbo is your in & out of the throttle a lot in tight trees....The turbo IMO works best WFO blasting up a big bowl. The longer tracks 162 to 174 in the trees is nice because riding through the tight spots the trees requires riding your sled at slower rpm's and the longer track and there big foot print keeps you on top of the snow.

DPG

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If the OP is in MN and is going to ride or test it there, choose wisely on a boost kit, not all low elevation kits are the same, and you may end up needing at least a race fuel mix to run it at low elevation, even for testing. Also, some intermediate tuning skills will really help if you're running boost, especially down low. Few locals in MN will be able to help tune a boosted RMK.

Pure stock T3 can be just gas and go, just reclutch, pins, for big elevation changes.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
On that note....I doubt a 3" track is the hot ticket in that part of the world either. I think a lot of people are winding up with 3" tracks because of the hype....not because they rode one and preferred it. I rode a few sleds with 3" expecting it to be hands down better based on the buzz....turns out I would rather ride a 2.5"

S

Sledcrazy2014

Apr 2, 2013
Mitchell SD
I snowchecked a 163 in 2014 and it was to long got 155 now and man what a differance I can actually throw my sled around now. I was up against 4 155 all day and I could not show them anything and the 155 was a hell of a lot Easier to get unstuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
That's almost like trying to decide if your gay or straight! They're two completely different sleds. I'm a polaris guy and have had 174's for quite a while and I love em'. We mostly tree ride and when it's super deep they really shine. For me the 174 really allows me to slow things down in the trees but thats just me and theres plenty of guys on the forum that could ride circles around me on a 144". IMO a 174" with the same skill rider in the deep stuff always goes further. All my 174's have been boosted so I'm not sure how the skidoo stock will compare but the few I've ridden seem to have plenty of power. The "pull and go" phrase gets tossed around a lot with turbo's. The ones that run that way is because someone put in the wrench time and continues to do so to keep em running that way. If your looking for more consistent reliability then go stock. If you don't mind the extra work or don't mind paying for it then go turbo. A boosted sled gives a grin that's tough to find with a stocker but there is definitely a down side to the fun! I guess where you ride and typical snow conditions in your riding area would be a big factor. I think we are going to see a lot of the skidoo 174's on the snow this year but I also think a pile of them will have a turbo. Mainly because a bunch of folks have a large amount of disposable income and you dont hardly ever hear someone saying they have too much horsepower!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Premium Features