• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Team Tied Secondary 2014 Pro Climb

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Anyone using a Team Tied Secondary on there 2014 ? How are the rollers holding up ? Any flat spots, or collection of grim on the rollers ?

Any updates are appreciated.

DPG

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Inside rollers wear, and float plugs wear quickly if using float. I ended up running no float in mine after 3 float plugs got marred. All in 500 miles. The stock secondary pulls 100 - 150 rpm higher from what I saw, weighs less, and gets about the same hot temp as the tied. I went through 2 stock secondaries last season as well. First one pulled rpm down in pow after only 150 miles. Second one lasted 450 miles and busted a helix at the end of the season.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Inside rollers wear, and float plugs wear quickly if using float. I ended up running no float in mine after 3 float plugs got marred. All in 500 miles. The stock secondary pulls 100 - 150 rpm higher from what I saw, weighs less, and gets about the same hot temp as the tied. I went through 2 stock secondaries last season as well. First one pulled rpm down in pow after only 150 miles. Second one lasted 450 miles and busted a helix at the end of the season.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of once the guts of secondary rollers start showing wear game over. The stock driven is pretty good and like any thing needs maintained. I think I'm just going to run dalton parts and vent the clutch to keep temps down.

DPG

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
When I ride at 8000 to 10000 feet and the parking lot is at 5000 feet I like to slightly over rev down at the lower elevation so once Im at riding elevation pounding through the deep my R's fall right into place.

DPG

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
"I went through 2 stock secondaries last season as well. First one pulled rpm down in pow after only 150 miles. Second one lasted 450 miles and busted a helix at the end of the season."

Hey AC, that's pretty sad don't you think? Maybe the innovative air vent will help:face-icon-small-win. For those of us unsure where to turn with the clutching problems it would be good to get a better feel if the Team tied option is an improvement or just more spinning of wheels. I hate to have to keep dropping weight to compensate for poor clutching from AC. Be nice if they would stop screwing around and fix the problem.

F
Apr 5, 2009
"I went through 2 stock secondaries last season as well. First one pulled rpm down in pow after only 150 miles. Second one lasted 450 miles and busted a helix at the end of the season."

Hey AC, that's pretty sad don't you think? Maybe the innovative air vent will help:face-icon-small-win. For those of us unsure where to turn with the clutching problems it would be good to get a better feel if the Team tied option is an improvement or just more spinning of wheels. I hate to have to keep dropping weight to compensate for poor clutching from AC. Be nice if they would stop screwing around and fix the problem.

they cant sell more parts if they just fix it. gotta make little money on them first lol

B
Mar 29, 2011
ive been running the tied on my '12 and haven't burned a belt since I switched, I also never installed the new update clutch so I couldn't really compare. My team is working good so never removed it other than to clean it up

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I believe its really important for people to say where they are riding and what kind of riding they do when it comes to belt life and clutch issues.
A fat 50 year old lazy guy who rides flat groomed Minnesota trails and lakes in -20 degrees is gonna get waaay longer belt life and less clutch heat/wear then a Gung Ho 25 year old in the Deep and Steep Rocky mountains.
Don't forget also that 90% of self proclaimed mountain guys are sit at the bottom and watch types.
I like to call these guys rah rahs. You know, the type that are absolutely smashed at the trucks or bars telling anyone who will listen how great their sled goes. Their words are so slurred all I hear is rah rah rah!
When I look at opinions on SW, I always look at where the poster is from. If he's from Flatland anywhere, I know that his sled riding and wear is completely different than mine. Therefore, I tend to soak in more info from someone who rides in conditions like mine.
I'm not a better or smarter rider than anyone else but I need look at what similar people riding similar terrain are doing/experiencing.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
2 problems with your statement.
1. It's not possible to properly setup a proclimb with the stock clutches. If it was possible, AC wouldn't have come out with the "big fail big fin" secondary. Big fin doesn't solve the issues either.
It can be done, just not with what AC has to offer.
2. Everyone should get good belt life with their stock clutches but they don't.
If they do, they are lying or they don't ride hard enough for AC clutch issues to show up.

I get so frustrated at reading when AC riders are constantly blowing belts and having clutch issues. Then Cat offers to sell them an "upgrade" after they have just spent 12k on a new sled. These customers buy Cat belts, Cat oil, and Cat parts loyally. AC is throwing away these valuable customers business away like it doesn't matter . It will never come back. Ever. The distaste is passed on to family and friends and there you see Cats sled business going down in flames. So sad. Actually, it's not sad. It's just not necessary to screw people over like this. Buck up and take care of the customer ffs. Admit your wrong, fix the problem and learn from it.

I don't sell any clutches or offer any services, I just call'em as I see them!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
In our 2010 M8 I've been satisfied with cutlers kit and will be ordering there kit again. Nice thing about the Cat vs Doo is you actually have to tune the Cat clutch on the Doo you just click. :face-icon-small-hap

DPG

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
DPG you make no sense.
Your first inquiry is if anyone is having luck with a team tied.
Then, you say that you will be staying with a cutler kit.
Why are you asking if a team tied works if cutlers is working so good for you?
I believe you are leaving something out here.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
DPG you make no sense.
Your first inquiry is if anyone is having luck with a team tied.
Then, you say that you will be staying with a cutler kit.
Why are you asking if a team tied works if cutlers is working so good for you?
I believe you are leaving something out here.

We use the Cutler fly weights and spring in the drive of our 2010 HCR. The Team is the driven clutch and that is all I'm inquiring about.

DPG

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
My bad. Im not familiar with Cutlers clutch kits so I had thought that Cutler made a Secondary kit.
It wasn't that you left something out, it was that I did the almighty a.s.s.u.m.e.!
No biggie.
I hope you get the clutching issues figured out.
I suggest you give Lonn a call at Thunder products. Let him know your issues and he will provide you with solid ideas. He is a wealth of knowledge. Also, give Duane Watts at Paragon a call. He knows cat clutching and issues inside and out.
These two guys are older and they love to share clutching info so it is good idea to soak up their info.
Have a few sheets of paper and at least an hour when you call Duane because he goes through a ton of info when he's talking clutching. He loves talking about clutching. I recommend to write down as much you can cuz he's 75 now and if you don't take advantage of his geneourous sharing of info, you might never get the chance to hear it again. Tell him Robin from Canada recommended that you call.
Happy clutching!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
My bad. Im not familiar with Cutlers clutch kits so I had thought that Cutler made a Secondary kit.
It wasn't that you left something out, it was that I did the almighty a.s.s.u.m.e.!
No biggie.
I hope you get the clutching issues figured out.
I suggest you give Lonn a call at Thunder products. Let him know your issues and he will provide you with solid ideas. He is a wealth of knowledge. Also, give Duane Watts at Paragon a call. He knows cat clutching and issues inside and out.
These two guys are older and they love to share clutching info so it is good idea to soak up their info.
Have a few sheets of paper and at least an hour when you call Duane because he goes through a ton of info when he's talking clutching. He loves talking about clutching. I recommend to write down as much you can cuz he's 75 now and if you don't take advantage of his geneourous sharing of info, you might never get the chance to hear it again. Tell him Robin from Canada recommended that you call.
Happy clutching!

No worries sometime I forget to connect all the dots thinking everyone has a crystal ball....anyway cutler does make a roller driven that there proud off lots of rotating mass IMO. I've run thunder shifters before very good product and I'm also a huge fan of heel clickers as well. The nice thing about the M8 is there are a lot of performance option to choose from that makes the motor screaming fast for a 2 banger.

When the snow flys and I get a few miles on the sled clutching will be a breeze.

Premium Features